Thread: Somerset

Somerset

Thinking about heading up to Somerset for the long weekend, is it worth trying for red claw or do they not like the cold? Also what type of fishing is there up there? I've never done any fresh water fishing.

Re: Somerset

bass , catfish ive fished wivenhoe a few times on kayak with lures all i caught was catfish i gave up freshwater fishing must say there is some monster catfish 8lb braid line 45 cm catty

Bass, cod, Tilapia, Perch....might be a bit slow due to the colder weather but always worth a day on the water. Red Claw will be best if the pots are left over night in about 4.5 mtrs of water, you don't have to venture too far from the ramp to get them either so don't be fooled, you should still get a feed.

Just need to hope the weather stays good

I'll probably be there saturday for a first time fish myself. Havenot heard if the bass are schooled at the common spots but will give them a crack anyway. Ben

I had a go yesterday. Rolled hopped and jigged lures even had a troll around schools of bony bream (not sure if i can identify bass yet or if they were even there). Kept at it all day as a mate slept up the bow for the most part. Got 2 hits on a littlemax blade for no hookup,landed a small bass on the troll with a poltergeist. Catch of the day was a 46cm yellowbelly on a squidgyfish plastic on a cast that birdsnested and i had to handline the 6lb braid to land it. Bit of a shocker but will give it another go someday. Ben

Ended up a noosa because of the weather but still went for a fish under the munna point bridge around sunset. Got a couple of nice brim and a huge hit but didn't take an esky up so they all went back in for me to catch a Christmas time.

Blooey, did you put any redclaw traps out?

No i didn't think it worthwhile for just the day and wanted all the time with a line in the water.