Thread: Camping between Iluka and Coffs

Camping between Iluka and Coffs

Hello all I usually go and stay at woody head when we go camping down that way. Whilst its expensive the Wife has facilities and I love fishing out of the rocks there and can drop the 4x4 onto the beach and scoot up for some beach fishing.

We decided to have a bit of a look further south this time (Nothing to do with me sneeking down to visit MO TACKLE on the way/during the stay. SHHHHHH

Can anyone tell me where I would fair the best with the big rods down that way.

Would like to be on the water/beach etc
    Prefer rock fishing (Not crazy ledge jumping though) over beach.
    Would like to be able to get the 4x4 on the beach
    Preferably not staying in large town
    Facilities for wife shower/loo

I looked briefly at Redrock and then at the camp site across the river from Sandon where the rocky headland/island comes out.

Any suggestions/photos pointers etc

Re: Camping between Iluka and Coffs

Look at pebbly beach. It's 4wd access only and 1 headland I think north of red rock. You get there via station creek. Do some googling. Has compost toilets that are fine.

Will definitely head there with the boys some time. But the wife will only accept the idea if there are showers.

I can handle that seeing as I am using our holiday to go fishing and 4x4ing!

Brooms Head, Red Cliff, Lake Arragon area. There's a national park just 4-5km's north of Brooms with good camping and basic amenities that has some cracker fishing. You can't drive north of the national park but if you've got a good ticker and some good boots theres even better fishing further north up the beach.

Red cliff and Lake Arragan have dunnies but no showers. Otherwise nice there. Brooms head van park has pretty good camping and I'm sure would have showers - but it's still a van park style of place.
    Minnie Water is nice but again I don't think any showers at the national parks sites. You can drive on the beach there a bit.
    Most of the area is in Yuraygir national park http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/na....aspx?id=N0040

Wooli, Red Rock, Sandon River, Mullaway all have good facilities and lots of areas to explore. Mullaway is closer to MO tackle to

Ah I forgot my old favorite (how could i?!) Sandon River camping ground. Miles of beach access, good fishing, good scenery and the mrs usually loves it! Just need to keep a good insect repellant on for the ravenous sand flies.

I'm heading down to Sandon river camp grounds in a couple of weeks with the boys for a drink and fish. Never been there before would be real interested to hear more on this area. Cheers.
    is time to go fishing yet

Quote Originally Posted by clone trooper View Post
    I'm heading down to Sandon river camp grounds in a couple of weeks with the boys for a drink and fish. Never been there before would be real interested to hear more on this area. Cheers.
    I decided to book Woody head again and spend one day shooting down to Coffs for a visit to MO and checking brooms/sandon/etc on the way. So I can see what they are all like before taking the Mrs there and putting up with her whining all week.

I'd dedicate a day on it's own to explore Brooms/Sandon as it's not exactly on your way to Coffs, but rather a 20 minutes detour off the highway...

Quote Originally Posted by Webby08 View Post
    I decided to book Woody head again and spend one day shooting down to Coffs for a visit to MO and checking brooms/sandon/etc on the way. So I can see what they are all like before taking the Mrs there and putting up with her whining all week.
    Webby, I hope my post did not sway your decision not go Sandon. please note, that we are having a drink but are too old to cause any riff raff and will more than likely be in our sleeping bags by 7. cheers, Brad.
    is time to go fishing yet

Quote Originally Posted by clone trooper View Post
    Webby, I hope my post did not sway your decision not go Sandon. please note, that we are having a drink but are too old to cause any riff raff and will more than likely be in our sleeping bags by 7. cheers, Brad.
    Hahaha not likely. Wife being up the duff if she's not happy my fishing trip will be ruined lol. Gotta bring her some ones gotta make me breakfast

Have heard numerous reports that Sandon gets very busy. Certainly was busy when we drove in there a couple of months. We were at Lake Arragan which was relatively quiet but Sandon did not seem to have any space left at all. But definitely looked like a top spot, if you don't mind close neighbours.

Sandon's usually only flat stick over the holiday periods. Go there outside of holidays, better yet during the week and the place is a goldmine.