Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal best!!! Biggest Yella I seen since I was a kid.

Personal best!!! Biggest Yella I seen since I was a kid.

I'll let the picture do the talking!

approx. 62cm
    approx. 4.9kg

Once in a lifetime catch? I remember seeing wild ones like this now and then when I was a kid but haven't seen one for many years. This was caught in the Barambah so possibly it's one that came over the wall from BP. Still... biggest yella fella I have ever landed.

Gratz to my little bloke (5yrs) who landed his personal best fish to date too. A whopper or as he put it when he finally muscled it in the boat "f&%$ ripper" 46cm and it fought him hard with the trebles set in his mouth and gills. No help, lift and wind, lift and wind. Made me so proud I lost the fish I was fighting at the same time worrying about whether he was gonna go overboard with it.

Great day out, good to see some fish in the creek.

ps if the facebook hotlinks don't work, i'll re-upload elsewhere.

Happy fishing fellow addicts!

Re: Personal best!!! Biggest Yella I seen since I was a kid.

Bloody hell Frawlz, you've killed the pig there - well done.
    That lot will keep you guys in fish fingers for a while.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Blog Entries

Thats at least 17 fish that wont ever have to be caught again !

Quote Originally Posted by grinner2 View Post
    Thats at least 17 fish that wont ever have to be caught again !

24 all up, including my neighbours share. That was 2 and half hours of trolling with lures. Finished cleaning them and preparing them for the freezer today. Catch and release is a lovely concept but I am on a pension and have two kids to feed. Most remarkable thing since I moved out bush and started growing my own vegies, killing some sheep, poultry and catching fresh fish and the occasional rabbit is the improvement in the general health of my family.

The big fish was pretty lean considering his size. Nevertheless, I cut thin steaks from the fillets so can they can be cooked hot and quick. The other ones I just took some lovely big fillets off.

I'm such a ######... I took pictures of the fish to work today and insisted everyone who came through the office had a look...

Great day on the water mate. The fish taste so much better when you catch it yourself. Don't listen to the nah-sayers, keep to reports coming.

Thanks
    Rob.

You did great - well done some nice fish there for sure.

You also put them to good use making your family healthier and more self sufficient instead of eating that processed imported rubbish - mate you get a bloody big tick from me.

Thanks for posting and yes please keep them coming.

Also mate I am sorry you feel like you have to justify that catch to any sourpuss on the forum!
    Cheers

Trev

Just don't justify your catch mate .You are within the law and not doing anything wrong so nobody has the right to mock you. Well done

Don't do any fresh water fishing so I don't really know how good that fish is. BUT I do know how good a set of vice grip lip grippers are!!!! Well done. Do they have an inbuilt set of scales?

Wasn't really trying to justify myself but I like to put it out there. I was criticised by a fella fisho on a dam not long ago for keeping a pb bass and couldn't really understand his logic. It was a stocked impoundment and a lovely fish... If you don't like eating them, it makes it a bit crueller in my book to stick a hook in their mouth and mess with them then throw them back so you can do it again. I try to kill em and ice them quick and humanely and I only keep what my family can eat. I think that's what fishing is about. I get the sport stuff, but I like to eat them too.

The multigrips are bloody awesome fish grippers. Just got to keep the wd 40 up to them.

good catch mate you did well i caught a yella ina dam about 30 yrs ago out on a property out west it went 14lb 2ozs gutted and gilled it was caught in a gill net but nowadays i only use lures its great fun

Coming from down Tamworth way I seen some big ones pulled from Chaffey Dam as a kid , but only got 1-2kg models myself in the local rivers.
    Though the ones up here seem to look different they go all hunched up were as the ones down south don't look so fat like that, but they get big.
    Nice haul, I never seen em on the bite like that, then again the river systems down that way are well degraded to the point the hold just carp and mud.

Though as a kid we used to sit wide eyed listening to our ol neighbor who used to fish Narrabri rivers and the stories were great.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbellyking View Post
    good catch mate you did well i caught a yella ina dam about 30 yrs ago out on a property out west it went 14lb 2ozs gutted and gilled it was caught in a gill net but nowadays i only use lures its great fun
    Yep I seen one around 10lb they get big.
    It was caught by my best mates dad, some time ago on a shrimp.

Dan

nice fish there mate

Good work. A well deserved smile. That smile on the little fella's face is priceless.

Nice yellas, they definetly came over the wall of BP to be that big. Once filleted and skinned there is no better tasting fish.