Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $8,000 trip to 1770 :-)

$8,000 trip to 1770 :-)

Just quick report about our last trip to 1770.
    One night at Fitzrow. Weather was great, fishing OK. Lots of coral trouts, single one red though. One the way back about 50km north of Gin Gin, lost a wheel along with brakes. Second axle was also damaged. Manage to made to the rest area 1km down the road. Called RACQ, was told policy has been cancelled 6 weeks ago due to dishonoured payment. Did not recall any letters from RACQ about this :-(. Could not find a tow on Sunday night. Loaded fish in the car, left the boat Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	93197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0517.jpg 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	93198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	93199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0523.jpg 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	93200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0534.jpg 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	93201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0541.jpg 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	93202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0548.jpg 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	93203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	93204behind. Arrived to Gold Coast at 4 am on Monday. Tuesday morning went back to Gin Gin on a prime mover tilt tray truck and brought the boat back home.
    Replaced torsion axles with springs, got new wheels and hydraulics.
    Finally back on the water!
    Total damage
    Tow: - $2800
    Axles, springs, wheels - $4900
    Hydraulics: $400
    Total cost: $8100
    Was still worth it :-)

Re: $8,000 trip to 1770 :-)

Mate thats a big hit in time and money but the only thing to do is get on with sorting it as you did, be worth asking for copies of correspondance from insurer. Hopefully only see posts of fish from now on.
    Cheers
    Mick

Unlucky about the trailer, but nice catch.

Been their done that when that bearing goes and that wheel locks on that caliper the old axle gets a bending then have fun trying to get a truck capable of putting a 8 meter boat on fun fun when you got semi's pounding past inches away for 10 hours straight, if that ain't bad enough those torsion axels if custom made take anywhere up to six months to make well they did in my case, at least you had fish on board it makes the trip at least someway except able.
    Mind you if you had insurance you would of been in for a tussle the assesses hate torsion axels and if you couldn't prove bearing matinence you probably would of done your doe anyway.

Ouch !

It could have been worse. Not that long ago, a fellow Ausfisher totalled his boat on a trip back.

I have blown a tyre on the trailer, twice, but luckily no other damage.

As for RACQ, a while ago I changed address's, told RACQ etc and they changed my insurances ( house, third party, etc ), but somehow didn't change address for vehicle. Was invloved in crash, not my fault, but because I never paid ins, due to RACQ sending it to wrong address, I had to cop it.

I now have monthly installments deducted. Also look at Ultra Care with RACQ. They will tow boat and car is necessary.

Nice catch of fish and at least you enjoyed the trip.

so if you were to say "lose something off the tow car" them would have to tow both ?

mate bad luck...

Hard to put a positive on it except to say:-
    Good thing the wheel that came off did not total someone else on the road
    Very fortunate the damage did not include the boat
    I would put it at $2800 trip and the rest maintenance - expensive tow but some rig needed to do the job.
    From the last of your post you seem happy, even with the wallet ache - so I guess the fishing and boat was great stuff.
    Hopefully your mates will kick in for the tow cost.
    Thanks for sharing I bet it will get a few people looking at their maintenance a bit more closely.
    I read once the best advice with a trailer is when arriving at the destination to before doing anything to launch the boat just walk around the trailer and put your hands on the tyres and the wheel bearings because well before you get a failure you will feel a heat build up either in the tyre before it blows or the bearing before they fail. It is also something you can do easily along the way when you stop for fuel too.
    I am happy for you that you got a few fish and that it did not end up a lot worse than it could and no body got hurt.
    A big US OS rig - bet it got you to places pretty quick on the water.
    I used to think those torsion bars were great - but with no way of monitoring them I am not in favour anymore.
    Good luck with it in the future.
    Cheers

Trev

You are right Trevelly, could have been way worse, so no complains there.
    All this could have occurred BEFORE we put the boat in the water, or during the night when I could have missed it and we all including the car would end up in the ditch, and somebody got hurt.
    Right now I am happy, it's only money, which I am not going to lose my sleep over :-) I have bought wireless tire pressure monitor as with dual axles is a bit hard to notice, when one wheel was gone.
    I have noticed it by just looking at the side mirror and that was already at dusk. That taught me a lesson that wheel bearing maintenance is very important.
    It was a bit annoying that RACQ has cancelled 80k boat insurance without actually making me aware, i.e. by SMS or phone call or email. I don't think that computer generated letter is sufficient.
    We have other two cars with RACQ as well and so far have been very happy with their service.
    Still trying to fight with them, not sure of the outcome yet...

like said above, you're very positive!!!!
    and why not be.... nobody hurt, no damage to boat, and like you said, only money..... good if you have it lol!
    good positive report, with a gentle reminder to everyone, big or small trailer/boat!

mick

Foxy

Many thanks for the post ... a timely reminder for all of us contemplating a road trip. I WILL do a full check before the 1770 M&G in Sept even though my trailer was fully rebuilt last year. I admire your positive philosophy ... that karma will reward you.

I had a wheel come off a single axle trailer @100kph (over-tightened nuts sheared off the studs) only 30mins after purchasing the rig on way home. Its not a good feeling to have a wayward trailer, particularly at that speed. Fortunately for me all ended well & the vendor came to the party with repair costs.

Know of a number of RACQ flood customers that had to fight tooth &nail to get justice. They only paid up after the Ombudsman stepped in. Dont think they are the 'member friendly' mob they were renowned for. Good luck with your claim.

MalM

WTF has being torsion bar suspension got to do with it?

The bearing failed due to getting hot. This is due to a lack of maintenance/monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post
    WTF has being torsion bar suspension got to do with it?

The bearing failed due to getting hot. This is due to a lack of maintenance/monitoring.
    SP Yes the bearing was the failure BUT that does not mean the comment about torsion suspension is not worth mentioning that is:-

I used to think those torsion bars were great - but with no way of monitoring them I am not in favour anymore.

An observation is that they were replaced with a conventional system.

If you want to talk about maintenance and monitoring that makes it more relevant as you cannot monitor torsion suspension and when they rust out in our salt environment it is without warning.

Where did anyone say it failed due to the suspension anyway!?
    Cheers

Trev

Always the way with any trailer gear... bloody good when it's all workin well and it's the worst stuff when you have a failure.

Not many torsion suspension repairers around... IMO a big problem if you have an issue with them
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Always the way with any trailer gear... bloody good when it's all workin well and it's the worst stuff when you have a failure.

Not many torsion suspension repairers around... IMO a big problem if you have an issue with them

YEP - Even ALKO - who make arguably the best Rubber Suspension - have to send them down to Melbourne for repairs. Generally a 2-4 week turnaround..

Bearings, hubs and wheels can still be checked with torsion axles - of course. As Trev was saying though - you cant check inside the axle and when the torsion profile rusts out - everything can let go. Anyone who knows what they are looking at "Might" be able to measure a bit more movement in the wheel - if you are lucky and have before and after figures, but generally - they just let go.

It could well be, that, that is what happened here.

Mark

Like your positive outlook Redfox. Glad no one got hurt, but still that's a big bill "$8k".

As a side note and not wanting to hijack this thread; my last trailer I had ALKO rubber suspension and it was great, but it's not sealed and you can't see how bad the corrosion is on the inside. My new US trailer with rubber suspension coming with the boat I've been told it's a sealed system, so it will be interesting to see how sealed it ready is.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things