Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics From Last Trip Working

Pics From Last Trip Working

Re: Pics From Last Trip Working

Bit bored, so thought I would share some pics with you guys, a combination of deck winch (5hooks) and rod caught fish from our last trip to Swains.

Good stuff mate, someones got to feed the masses.

A couple of Q's if you don't mind.

Whats the massive garfish looking thing in the second post and how did you catch it? The reason I ask is we had a couple hanging around the boat last year and while they were chasing lures and plastics we couldn't connect to one.

Secondly whats the go with stacking the fish upside down like that?

Cheers Marto

Impressive mate

Hey Marto,

Glad to receive some positive feedback, I was a little sceptical about posting pics from a commercial boat on here.

The "massive garfish looking thing" is a long tom, they will often hit trolled lures or floated pillies, but due to their mouth, you don't get a lot of hookups. They can make a decent bait, but this one was released. I caught it on a ganged pilchard using a tru-turn 6/0 two hook setup. I have a photo of the hook still in it, and a better shot of the head I will post for you.

As for the packing of the fish upside down. We usually start the first layer upright, and stack upside down after that as it helps to retain the natural juices of the fish, so they don't escape out the poo shoot.

SF
    Last edited by SwainsFisho; 01-06-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Spelling/Grammar

You can see why you don't hook up a lot......

Long Tom Closeup.jpg

SF

I love the Tetris style stacking. We were supposed to stack our reds like that on a trip a fortnight ago but it wasn't too tricky with only one!! That's a good look into the workings of a pro boat. Thanks for the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by thelump View Post
    I love the Tetris style stacking. We were supposed to stack our reds like that on a trip a fortnight ago but it wasn't too tricky with only one!! That's a good look into the workings of a pro boat. Thanks for the photos.
    Not too tricky? How did you get the 1 to stay upright without the rest holding it in place?

How long was the trip? Looks like you had a mixture of weather. Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    How long was the trip? Looks like you had a mixture of weather. Thanks for the post.
    Hey mate,

That trip was for 21 days, a bit longer than we normally would be out there. As for the weather it was a real mix yeah, we were stuck in behind the reef for 7 days which was the main reason for such a long trip. Fished really slow at the start, but after that week long blow, they really came on the bite....... thankfully.

SF.

Mullet said you dont have time to take photos , you have to make him more money !
    Sam.

Thanks SF, interesting to see work going on.

We know about our $2000 per kilo fish (Wife explained it to me) and its easy to understand the cost of commercial caught fish if you consider the maths of what; 3 or 4 of you out for 21 days plus the cost of the boat and running costs. ( shouldn't forget super, carbon tax etc etc either)

Thanks again for sharing

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Awesome pics, mate. Thanks for sharing. What was the cut on the leg from?

Cuzza