Thread: Tackle Bags

Tackle Bags

Tired of loading up lots of different boxes into the boat each trip so want to get a decent sort of tackle bag, just wondering who has some good or bad experiences and recommendations:

Want it to hold pretty much all my fishing needs in one place...plastics & jigs, 4 or 5 reels of leader, various plano boxes, tools, lures, sunnies etc etc and oh yeh lunch.

A quick look on evil-bay this one seems the closest to what I want but what other options are there?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pflueger-...item4d0817fb09

There is one called XPS which looks the goods but couldn't find it in Australia, anyone bought anything from basspro?

http://www.basspro.com/XPS-Stalker-T...duct/10221672/

Thanks
    C

Re: Tackle Bags

I have been through 2 plano guide series bags. The zips keep corroding and failing. So have given up on them.

Just yesterday I ordered a custom made bag. I don't know if you have seen the vinyl electricians tool bags; but it is basically one of these made to my sizes to fit plano plastic boxes inside.

The beauty of this is there are no zippers to corrode; instead either industrial Velcro or clips are used. It cost me $210 delivered; these things last for years in a work environment so I am hoping it will last me a lifetime.

Hey Crunchy - I use an IRWIN toolbag from bunnings, plastic zippers and the likes, massive bag and a couple of those snap top plastic containers with the rubber seal under them, blue they are systeema or sumething I get them on sale at woolies. I had those plano bags n boxes but find the sea gets into them too easy. I pad 15 bucks from bunnings for my bag. paid for itself numerous times.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post
    I have been through 2 plano guide series bags. The zips keep corroding and failing. So have given up on them.

Just yesterday I ordered a custom made bag. I don't know if you have seen the vinyl electricians tool bags; but it is basically one of these made to my sizes to fit plano plastic boxes inside.

The beauty of this is there are no zippers to corrode; instead either industrial Velcro or clips are used. It cost me $210 delivered; these things last for years in a work environment so I am hoping it will last me a lifetime.
    Sounds like an option, who made that for you SP?

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy247 View Post
    Hey Crunchy - I use an IRWIN toolbag from bunnings, plastic zippers and the likes, massive bag and a couple of those snap top plastic containers with the rubber seal under them, blue they are systeema or sumething I get them on sale at woolies. I had those plano bags n boxes but find the sea gets into them too easy. I pad 15 bucks from bunnings for my bag. paid for itself numerous times.
    Thanks Mossy I'll go and check them out, they look pretty good

Shimano do a good bag with big plastic zip's.......had mine for a few years now and it's been fine..it will take the large plano deep sealed lure/tackle trays.......had plano bag's and as said above the zipper corrodes and stuffs up.........don't buy anything with alloy zip's.

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

I like the look of that Pflueger one crunchy. Got lots of little hidey holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    Shimano do a good bag with big plastic zip's.......had mine for a few years now and it's been fine..it will take the large plano deep sealed lure/tackle trays.......had plano bag's and as said above the zipper corrodes and stuffs up.........don't buy anything with alloy zip's.

Dan
    Same here.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

My tackle bag is a large tool bag from repco, I couldn't find a "tackle bag" the size I wanted so my wife bought me the tool bag from repco and its great. It fitted all my tackle trays and than has pockets both inside and out for all the extras.

I ordered a side pocket double bas from beehive toolbags:

http://www.beehivevinyl.com.au/produ...ehive-toolbags

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post
    I ordered a side pocket double bas from beehive toolbags:

http://www.beehivevinyl.com.au/produ...ehive-toolbags
    I've seen their toolbags........they make good quality gear.

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Spacecase. its waterproof, sandproof, doesn't rust, you can sit on it, stack stuff on it, use it as a table, fill it with tackle trays. you can have one for reels and one for tacke. there are no zips just solid handles on each end.

Doesn't have to be a Spacecase. There are a few manufacturers that make these very strong boxes in a variety of shapes and sizes and most can be ordered with foam.

cheers
    Stu

Dont know how many tackle boxes i have tried, dont want to count them, i dont reckon there will ever be a perfect tackle box
    Tangles KFC

I am running with a $40 Kingchrome yellow waterproof tool bag. Used for a week and it swallowed a ton of gear and was quite functional
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Currently using a plano bag and also use the Plueger bag on trips away as my main bag as it holds more and has all the nooks and crannies.

Almost impossible to find zips that don't corrode, even on toolbags. (been there too). Now i just spray lanolin spray on the zips every now and then. but mostly after salt spray on the bag (don't ever bother washing in fresh water) and zips have been excellent even with long breaks between use.

One point though is that I use the plano bags with the much larger sturdier zips with solid teeth .... not those pissant little fine zips. The ones on that Plueger bag are good zips too, but def need the odd spray of lanolin.

Agree with above you'll never find the perfect bag! I reckon the space case has good potential .... just not sure how you compartmentalise it so stuff doesn't just float around everywhere inside! Esp good having compartments in bad weather or salt spray so that you don't necessarily get everything wet if all u need to get to is your leader or whatever! Some type of board dividers should do the job - might try this on an upcoming trip to Papua - the Space case will be a good idea for protecting gear inside too, and can't tear!