Thread: Carp al italiano the sequel

Carp al italiano the sequel

Carpione Al Fetti
    2 carp cleaned
    Lemons
    Salt
    Pepper
    Oil olive
    Rub fish skin well with lemon slices and season inside with salt and pepper. Places fish on rack under grill and cook until brown. Cook other side. When cooked remove fish dress with lemon juice and olive oil. Serve hot with a green salad and lemon wedges .

Re: Carp al italiano the sequel

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Carpione Al Fetti
    2 carp cleaned
    Lemons
    Salt
    Pepper
    Oil olive
    Rub fish skin well with lemon slices and season inside with salt and pepper. Places fish on rack under grill and cook until brown. Cook other side. When cooked remove fish dress with lemon juice and olive oil. Serve hot with a green salad and lemon wedges .
    And if your keen, you can eat the fish too.

Prefer to eat my boot but the Italians love em

hehehe...
    brings to mind a recipe for carp my grandad told me.
    clean the carp, season with salt, pepper and lemons and nail it to a cedar plank. place plank on the shed roof in the sun for a few days. remove the carp from the plank, bury it in the garden, and eat the plank.

i did try carp a few years back. caught one in the spring from cold clear water and took him home. tried to filet the thing, but couldn't figure out the skeletel system so i ended up with chunks of it. i fried them up with the usual stuff. the taste wasn't bad at all, but it had a bit of a rubbery texture.
    considering i was well into my cups it was probably chef's error. i think it could be just fine in the right hands. i always thought carp would be a good pickled fish.

now i've never tried this, or know of anyone who has, but i've always heard if you take a live carp and put him in a pool or tank of cool clear running water and feed him corn meal for a week or so his flesh will clean up and loose the mud vein and fishy smell and taste.
    i suppose it could work. let me know how you make out with it.
    standing on a bridge
    watching water rushing under-
    neath it must have been much harder
    when there was no bridge just water

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyice View Post
    i suppose it could work. let me know how you make out with it.
    i love fish but cant say i make out with them !
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    i love fish but cant say i make out with them !

Just remember..
    Carp - This fish is declared noxious in Queensland. It is unlawful to possess noxious fish alive or dead or to use them as bait. It is illegal to place or release noxious fish alive or dead into Queensland waterways. Penalties of up to $200,000 apply.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Dont get the carp you find in Australia confused with Asian Carp. Two different species. You can eat Asian carp no problem at all.

Sometime ago (maybe 8 years ago or so) Landline showed an episode where carp was being netted in a NSW river by commerical fisherman. This was two-fold, one was to remove as much carp from that system for fertiliser, the other was a serious attempt in finding ways to have carp on the menu. Professional cooks / chefs were employed and samples provided to everyone and anyone in the location at the time. All with the blessing of NSW Fisheries.

There was no follow up to that segment so one cannot say if it was successful or failed the second part of the two-fold event. Nevertheless still was an interesting segment to watch.

Bondy

Guess it also depends how hard you are up for a feed of Fish, and how much time your willing to spend getting rid of theslime n shyte/dirt that exists under their scales etc. Many Moons ago when i used to spend time out west hunting n Fishing i didnt mind eating near anything that came out of a River including Carp but used to spend quite some time soaking the fish in salted/brined water to leecxh out the said slime.
    Then we used to wrap the fish in thick layers of soaked(water) newspaper , stuff the fish with spices , carrot, onion etc and shove the whole bundle withng the ashes till it cooked and must say , once you get past all the bones it didnt taste halfe bad other than Beans, snage and the ususal quick hast feeds out Bush..

@ Volvo,,

Just remove the skin, slime is no problem then.

Heaps of slime on yellowbelly and catfish too. All part of their protective coating.

Scale and gut the carp and fill the gut cavity with lemon slices . Mix in some garlic, oregano salt and pepper with 2 tins of crushed tomatoes and pour over the fish in a baking dish. Preheat the oven to 180 c and bake it for 20 minutes...... Then give it to your dog!!

Ausfish New Member

Hey thanks Triple for that comment, I gotta say I am gobsmacked by these laws. I am a stones throw away from Wyaralong and recently visited the far western section where a big 1,000 litre tank was two thirds full of some of the biggest fish I have ever seen rotting away. If I catch a couple of those mongrels I just don't see why I can't fillet them at the lake and take the fillets home, and leave the rest in the big bin. I guess the big worry is that by taking the whole fish home there could always be a chance that some eggs could end up in another waterway. Rules is rules and I won't break 'em, but them rules P me off almost as much as the rules about running outboard motors in Wyaralong.