Thread: Hilux clutch

Hilux clutch

Hi all,
    2006 td hilux clutch stays in after gear chanes. Hook yr foot under & pull the peddle out & changes ok again. Any ideas what's wrong? & what is the best aftermarket clutch kit should it be terminal?
    Thanks Brad

Re: Hilux clutch

Sounds like your thrust bearing is knackered and getting stuck on the input shaft.
    Have you checked your clutch fluid resivor?.

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Could also be your clutch master cylinder on the firewall, could be full of crap and thus not letting the the pedal fully return, or broken/stretched spring on the clutch pedal under the dash ?

Thanks guys, ill check

two things make the pedal return, the pressure plate tension, and the return spring under the dash, either of those things will make it stick down , perhaps if the pressure plate is shagged, the clutch would be slipping? is the clutch hydraulic?

Hi Nolem,
    Hydrolic clutch and its not slipping. Thinking it may be the thrust bearing as it has been a bit noisy. Might just slip a HD clutch kit in. Any sudgestions?
    Cheers Brad

Hey mate my colorado did the same thing a few months back. I found the clutch fluid was pretty dirty. I just gave it a good flush through of New fluid and it's been good ever since.

I guess the thrust bearing COULD be sticking somehow, but the way it works is pretty simple, the thrust bearing is only pushed along a "shaft" by the slave cylinder, and returned via the pressure plate, the return spring under the dash is to return the pedal fully once the thrust bearing leaves the pressure plate, other wise it would feel "sloppy" for the first bit of travel (kind of) if you replace the clutch, most kits come complete with pressure plate, clutch plate and thrust bearing. Might also be worthwhile doing the hydraulic system too, it is simple and cheap enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I guess the thrust bearing COULD be sticking somehow, but the way it works is pretty simple, the thrust bearing is only pushed along a "shaft" by the slave cylinder, and returned via the pressure plate, the return spring under the dash is to return the pedal fully once the thrust bearing leaves the pressure plate, other wise it would feel "sloppy" for the first bit of travel (kind of) if you replace the clutch, most kits come complete with pressure plate, clutch plate and thrust bearing. Might also be worthwhile doing the hydraulic system too, it is simple and cheap enough.

Some of the hilux and all of the 6speed prados run a aluminium sleeve over the input shaft which gawls and jams up the thrust bearing.....Pretty common problem........one of the dumbest things TMC have done imo.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.