Thread: Cork grips....help!!!!

Cork grips....help!!!!

No doubt someone can sort this problem out for me. I am building two rods (yep, I am slowly getting back into the swing of things) anyway, I intend to order some cork rings from acid rod/C&M tackle in the USA, unless of course someone can point me in a cheaper direction.
    I've never glued cork before & need to know the process, I gather I might need a clamp but what type I have no clue, I really don't want to wing it.
    I also need to know if I can turn EVA, Hypalon on a lathe.
    Any help much appreciated.
    Cheers Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Re: Cork grips....help!!!!

roz, with the cork I use a wood glue, use a piece of threaded rod[ nuts and washes] to clamp the needed lengths
    as for eva ,hypalon and even your cork can be done in a lathe.
    use wood turning tools for you eva / hypalon[ sharp] if in block form. then sand to suit. if your just trying to size a round piece just sand with a block
    by the way ,its good to see you back here
    ian

Try these Roz, 7 short videos that go step by step through the process.

1/
    2/
    3/
    4/
    5/
    6/
    7/

Cheers
    ~~~><))))*>

Rozzz,

Long time no hear. I think Ross at the Rod works has plenty of cork rings in stock, would be faster and I dare say cheaper. You need to buy a peice of threaded rod with nuts and oversize washers. Before anything, make sure you wax up the rod Candle wax is ok. Rub that all over the threaded rod. Now you need some 24hr araldite as its clear and it reduces the lines where the rings are joined. Once you have coated each section and you have slid the rings down, fit the the other washer and nut on and tighten it up. Wipe excess glue off and leave sit over night. Now you can leave the cork on the threaded rod and turn it down that way, our you could ream it out like the tax man does to me each year. If you do the tax man thing and ream it out, make sure the grip will be a tight fit, this part is veeeeeeeery important ok grasshopper? Take your reamed out grip, and with an off cut or a rod you have snapped while fishing, rub 24hr glue inside. Smear glue all over the blank after you key up that section and slid down until tight. Disclaimer...I take no responsibility for death or injury resulting from your own stuff ups...Rodger that. Stufart over and out.

my old boss (when I was a lab rat/technician) used to sniff glue, or he thought so until we pointed out it was liquid white out!!! Sorry toooo much information, just the mention of glue brought back happy memories!!
    I have both araldite & wood glue.
    I will also give the vid a look see.
    I will also have more questions as this thread progresses. I don't have the reel seats sorted yet.
    One more thing that just sprang to mind, can you fit a rod with both cork and eva? or would it look like a bucket of sick? I think I have seen it in the past and it looked OK, however I'm not so sure now, what do you think???
    Thanks heaps guys...& Stufart.
    R.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

You can also use Bluetac if you have some, I love the smell of bluetac. White substance in a lab, mmmm smells a bit fishy Roz. You use EVA and cork together, however you need to be carfull when sanding as the EVA wont come off as easy or evenly as cork. You essentially get a high and low spot where the two meet. Just stuff the crap on the rod and go fishing.

Stuart is on the money.
    I use a mandrel to turn my cork or cork/eva grips. You have to be careful when you sand down the different materials because one is softer than the other.
    With cork and eva i use start with 120 grade sand paper then go to 200 then 300 and then sometimes finer to finish off.
    Another thing, make sure you clamp down your cork and eva rings tight otherwise you may end up having gaps you can't sand out. It's happened to me. Grrrr

Roz good to see you back into it!
    I've been using Selleys Quik Grip to glue up my grips and none of them even look like coming apart (touch wood). I smear a wet coat on each and then slide them together on a mandrel. When they meet I turn then against each other to make sure every bit is coated. When you finish doing this to the length you want - clamp them and clean up any mess. There really shouldn't be very much at all. The join is faultless and super strong. The other way of doing the EVA and cork together is to turn your EVA to the size you want it first - smaller diameter than the cork. Glue them up together and then turn the cork down to the size of the EVA. I've done this before with really good results but you have to use a sanding block until they get close and then finer grades of sandpaper as then meet.

Regards
    Mark

I Also use Selleys Kwik Grip..Advanced

I am building three rods now!!! I should have given more detail when asking the question re mixing eva and cork, by that I meant, having the rear grip cork and/or the fore grip eva, of perhaps the other way around, maybe adding a cork trim to the eva part & same for the cork???? Be brutally honest please, I have an idea it may look as if a retard built the rod, anyway it is only an idea.
    I have sussed out a lathe & do have some basic wood turning tools, many years ago someone lent me a wood lathe and I turned all my broomsticks into poppers, nowdays you would be flat out finding a broom with a wooden handle, mostly all made in the PRC now .
    r.
    cheers r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Broom sticks into poppers, now I see why your a retard. Mind you thats not a bad idea.

Roz, Good to hear from you,sorry I'm 22hrs away by plane otherwise I would send you whatever you need.sikaflex make a glue to suit you can buy from bunnings. I use the threaded rod with big washers on the end unless its12 inches long, then I use a cork press I made up. Combing Eva and cork is no problem just be super carefull when sanding as Eva is a lot tuffer than cork.
    Graham