Thread: Ford ranger

Ford ranger

Hey guys im looking at buying a 2010-2011 ford ranger crew cab 4x4 either an xlt or wildtrack. Im tossing up between a manual or auto just want to hear from any one that drives an auto one and how it performs compared to a manual. Will mainly be used for towing a tinnie and maybe some beach driving cheers

Re: Ford ranger

I owned a BT50 of that model which I think was a pretty similar vehicle. I had the auto transmission and is was a great tow vehicle and would have kept it except the boat put on weight and so the auto towing capacity at 2500kg was a bit shy of what I needed, so I bought the new model in auto again only for the upgraded capacity. The boat I was towing with it was just under 2000kg and handled it easy.
    I have heard on the grapevine that the manual may have been prone to the odd clutch problem for towing but that could have been driver error, hard to say.
    There should be an owners forum for bt50/ranger if you haven't been there yet. I think that was where I was reading about clutch issues at some stage.

Mate I had one as a work vehicle for a couple of years. Was a great vehicle. Mine was an auto and would not have it any other way. Great for towing ( yalta 555) and great for beach work. The only issue I found on the beach was its narrow wheel base sat just on the inside edge of most tyre tracks requiring a bit more effort to get along. That being said never got it stuck and it never stopped. Remember it was a company vehicle. They go faster, stop quicker and goes places my personal car just wont go

Sounds like the auto might be the way to go for what I want cheers for the info

and Matttty, make sure you get TWO keys with any late model Ford/Mazda if you can.

I wont go into specifics, but they are expensive AS because of the type of transponder chip in them.
    We know this because this is what we do (NOT ADVERTISING -YET )...just sayin'...

Cheers, Ray & Kerri.
    Last edited by solemandownunder; 27-05-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: speeeling

I have a sept 09 wildtrack manual and love it. Only 55k on the clock. No major dramas in the 15k I have put on it.
    It tows a 6.3m signature effortlessly. Takes the 14ft heavy glass boat up the beach all the time.

Only issue has been the rear springs have started to squeak and separate a small amount.

I have modified it a lot since I bought it 12months ago. And take it everywhere I can offroad. Gets out of many situations that a 2012 modified hilux can not.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

i had automatic 4x4dualcab 2009 bt-50 untill late last year
    thi swas the base model with no extras or canopy
    150,00km in 3 years

pros
    good power
    cheap

cons
    noisy interior
    roughest ride of any ute ive owned
    basic fitout cheap carpet, no bluetooth no cruise
    i tried several types of a/t tyre bridgestones coopers and cant recall the third set i put on
    but it was a pig in the wet with the auto and any a/t tyre would break traction and had to babied around roundabouts etc in the wet
    i spun it one day at 3-5kph on a off camber round about n the road into the entrance, i had to pull over as i thought i was leaking diesel.

i put it down to narrow wheel base, the a/t tyres maybe highway tyres would have been better
    and the auto box and lots of low down torque on take off

now have a navara d40 lot nicer vehicle to drive, huge interior more features nicer ride and 1.5l less per hundred

I have a PK Auto single cab Ranger and it ticks all the boxes . Powerful (more grunt down low than my turbo Landcruiser )
    steveyj is on the money , I just thought it was because it was a cab/chassis. Man it's dangerous the wet ! Anyone else have this issue ? I took it back to Ford and as I expected ........... nahh mate nothing wrong with it.

Other than that great truck.

Jimmy

I've got a 2010 BT50 with the auto box. Had it since new and now have 70k on the clock.
    It too is lively in the wet. I've got bfg at tyre and they're a good match for it.
    It's been a great ute. Tows well and is awesome on the beach.

Hey ended up buying a 2011 pk wildtrack in the auto pick it up in a few days thanks for all the info will just have to be cafefull in the wet by the sounds if it lol cheers

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2