Thread: How to build a "Light Box" to photograph your work.

How to build a "Light Box" to photograph your work.

I thought I had posted this ages ago, but couldn't find it when I searched.
    There's some outstanding work being posted here.
    This may help you get the best out of your photos.

So you've just spent days or weeks completing your latest rod. It's got a great weave, some marbling, hand made wooden grips or whatever rings your bell.
    Now you want to show the world how good it looks, so out to the back yard we go, digital camera in hand.
    You snap away a hundred shots and load them up on your computer to find that the don't look anywhere near as good as the real thing.
    The big problem area is that the epoxy is so reflective, you get lines, flares and all sorts of problems.
    Not to mention old Mrs Smith's bloomers on the washing line in the background.
    What to do???

After trying all sorts of angles and naturl lighting conditions, I decided I need help, so I got onto a photography forum and asked some questions.

The suggestions were
    1: Use a polarising filter on the lens to cut reflection. (Good idea, if you have an SLR).
    2: Use a light box. .... OK... What the hell's that?

A light box is a box into which you place the object you wish to photograph.
    In the sides are "windows" which are covered with white cloth or translucent white plastic. You shine a bright light through the cloth and it diffuses the light throughout the box, thus illuminating the object you which to photgraph very evenly, thus stopping reflections, shadows etc.
    Inside the box you also place some white card which must curve from the vertical rear wall to the bottom of the box.
    Because it has no corners, it appears to be a solid white background when you take your shot.

I decided to construct one using "Corflute" which is like corrigated cardboard only made from an opaque white plastic which I felt would also diffuse light from the outside and reflect it on the inside.
    Taking my trusty stanley knife, I scared one side to allow me to fold the box into shape.
    I decided to only use masking tape to hold it all together so I could easily collapse it for storage.
    Once the box was made I cut some windows o the top and sides and taped white cloth over them. Cellophane would be a better option as it would diffuse the light more evenly.
    On the front I cut a "viewing" port through whichI would take the shots and on top I made a flap that would allow me to place objects inside and through which I could place the cardboard sheet.
    I also cut some slots on the ends like a star so I could slide a rod through without letting too much unfiltered light inside.

For light sources I visited my local hardware and found some 500W halogen work lamps on special for $9.95 each.
    These give off a very white light. I also bought a twin lamp that is mounted on a tripod to shine through the top of the box.
    You can of course get proper "daylight" globes which will give the best results.

The results were quite promising as can be seen in the photos below.

An added bonus of the white card background is that the autofocus on the camera doesn't pick it up, so it's easier to get a crisp focus on your object.

Give it a go!
    You'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

You will always get best reults with a digital SLR with a macro setting, but these pics were taken with a $150 digital camera.

Play around with the white balance settings to match your light type. This will result in the white card showing up white instead of having a "blueish" or grey look..

First you need...
    Parts.jpg

Cut and score the corflute for assembly

Cut corflute.jpg

Assemble box and cut up some of your best white linen sheets to go over the holes. Or you could use some transluscent white plastic.

Assembled.jpg

Add some holes to pass long objects through.

holes.jpg

End result will be like this
    drawing.gif

A couple of photos - Note lack of shadows etc.

sample pic 1.jpg

A quick colour change of cards and you have...

sample pic two.jpg
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Re: How to build a "Light Box" to photograph your work.

but will it make my weaves any better.....

What a top idea, thanks for sharing. I occasionally need to photograph lures and it's a bugger of a job avoiding back-flash and shadows. Something like that would be perfect.
    Cheers
    ~~~><))))*>

They are easy to make but are also like $20 on ebay and are foldable as well as come with different coloured inserts.