Thread: 1st G-Urushi

1st G-Urushi

G'day everyone,

Today was a bit exciting for me - No NSW hasn't beaten QLD yet!
    I finally got around to sanding back my first G-Urushi. I was a little dubious but as the colours came through and then the shell the excitement built. I started with some Paua shell stuck in the split grip with super glue. Then I coated on consecutive days with black/blue dragon/pearl and Mexican tile blue Bullards pigments. After a few days of curing I commenced the sanding. I applied the first coat of finish a little while ago and it's like someone turned on the light. The colours just seem to explode under the clear coat and it looks fantastic.I will mount the Matagi Vintage blue seat in a couple of days and the fore grip. I want to do a wrap in front of the front grip and then put the guides on. The rod (hopefully) will be an exhibition rod possibly for the Tackle Show later in the year.

Regards to all
    Outback
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 1st G-Urushi

Looks great Mark, I must have a go at this one day probably when I get sick of weaving.

Cheers
    Pedro

That's one of the coolest looking things I've ever seen on a rod, very nice.

Looking pretty good there mate. Nice

Looks Great

Good stuff Mark.
    This is another of those must try techniques why the variations are endless.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Thanks everyone for your comments.
    Owen you are dead right. I was a bit nervous at the start but as the shell started to come through the layers of epoxy it looks like a strobe light being turned on. The colour options are only restricted by the imagination of the creator. Very time consuming but well worth the effort. The photos just don't show the depth of colour or the brightness of the shell.

Cheers
    Outback