Thread: Crabs still running aroudn The Pin

Crabs still running aroudn The Pin

Have done a couple of runs late arvo to early evening around the Pin mainly chasing muddies. Went out on the 16/5 with a mate. Set the pots and fished to the low around 7 pm. Picked up a few bream and a whiting on prawn. Near the bottom of the tide my mate hooked something good on fresh squid but after about 5 mins his leader broke at the swivel. Spewing! My live sardine then had a short run and when I wound it in the sard was chomped in half. Soon after my live mullet took off and after about 10 minutes playing it, the fish spat the hooks. Really spewing! The bite went quiet so we headed home about 8 pm and picked up the pots. Managed 7 keepers but not much size to them and threw back about 4 just unders. No Jennies at all but managed to lose a pot.

Went out again with another mate on the 21/5 as it appeared the crabs were still around. Boat was in the water at 4 pm, set pots (found my lost pot) and went to fish the high at about 6 pm. Only managed one large live mullet with cast net as the tide was well in. So I used it as slice. Managed a couple of bream and eels but no good runs on slice mullet. There were about 3 boats near my boat but far enough away not to hear conversations etc. But then at the top of the tide a larger boat motored between all of us, kept the motor running while they set the anchor, they were not happy with this spot and up anchored with chain clanging and motor running, and moved about 10 metres away from me . So that was it for the fishing and we picked up pots with 9 keepers this time and some size to them. Threw one back as it was a floater and had no nippers. I assume their nippers were harvested and crab thrown back.

Nice late run for mud crab and were all pretty full. These are the crabs from 21/5. Also glad I got my lost pot back and surprised it was still there as it was in an open area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crab 22 may.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	92885

Re: Crabs still running aroudn The Pin

lucky to get your pot back morty
    some nice dirty claws there they look like good crabs well done
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Re: Crabs still running aroudn The Pin

mortyb,

Good work on the crabs mate, good to know they are still around. Bummer on the fish hook up, when things go pear shape like that one often wonders what it was on the end of the line.

Bondy