Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: yeppoon Radio range / single engine out past radio range

yeppoon Radio range / single engine out past radio range

I have a couple of questions.
    How is everyone from yeppoons radio range. I have found I loose radio reception at karamea barcoo about (95-100km out) I loose all reception.

The reason I ask this is I am seeing a lot of single engine boats out past this range.
    I have queried this with quite a few of the boat owners/skippers to be told that the vhf is there only form of commmunication besides cell phones.

Upon asking them what they would do if they had an engine failure or problem out there where their engine wouldn't start etc. All of them (12 persons total I have asked that venture out further regularly) said they would activate the EPIRB.

so if you run out fuel or have no form of communication and your life is not in danger is it ok to activate an EPIRB???

Re: yeppoon Radio range / single engine out past radio range

Ummmmmmm.......no?

But if you're running out of ice and your catch is going to spoil in a hot esky then definitely yes.....activate that sucker!

"so if you run out fuel or have no form of communication and your life is not in danger is it ok to activate an EPIRB???"

1. An Epirb should only be used when there is a treat of grave or imminent danger. Activating an epirb due to lack of fuel does nothing more than highlight a complete lack of understanding and good seamanship.

2. In the event of a non live threatening emergency then all other forms of communication should be first attempted.

3. An Epirb is really not meant to allow for a persons incompetence, bad fuel management and/or venturing beyond their vessel's limitations.

So if they do get in that situation.....

that's life threatening I reckon.

If they don't get run over by a tanker, or swamped by not having directional control, then unless they contact someone they will eventually die.

Depends of course on the local boat traffic and where the current will take them... but unless they are going to drift into a better locality then they definitely are in trouble.

So chide them all you want.... it won't stop it happening and they have left themselves little choice.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    Ummmmmmm.......no?

But if you're running out of ice and your catch is going to spoil in a hot esky then definitely yes.....activate that sucker!
    Or if your down to your last pack of durries...

1. People do have a choice, a choice to stay within their means, anybody who gets themselves into that type of situation should have their boat impounded and be locked up for their own safety.

2. Running out of fuel over the last few miles is a sin in itself, running out of fuel out of radio range, 100km out to sea is totally and absolutely incompetent.

Just because you may not be able to reach a land based radio station, there is always the possibility that another boat is well within range, especially in a popular fishing location. Just because your motor wont start means that you are doomed.

I spoke to the VMR about how far out they cover a vessel. They told me 40KMs offshore is their limit. When you do have issues that far out, who is there to help? cost guard?

Running out of fuel wasn't mentioned but anyone can have engine failure for any number of reasons, even two engines can fail.

If I was drifting out there and couldn't contact anyone by any other means then the epirb would go on straight away. No point waiting until it turns into a life threatening situation. That's not being a responsible skipper.

Quote Originally Posted by JulianDeMarchi View Post
    I spoke to the VMR about how far out they cover a vessel. They told me 40KMs offshore is their limit. When you do have issues that far out, who is there to help? cost guard?
    I think Muddy feet can answer this one....

Quote Originally Posted by JulianDeMarchi View Post

I've personally been rescued more than 50km offshore by VMR in SEQ. Maybe different for different areas, but they came out for us. Mind you, we were in serious sh!t from the get go (cracked hull, sinking fast).

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post
    I've personally been rescued more than 50km offshore by VMR in SEQ. Maybe different for different areas, but they came out for us. Mind you, we were in serious sh!t from the get go (cracked hull, sinking fast).

Cuzza
    Bloody hell! That's a crazy situation. Care to share the story?

Its a good question... We've spoke about it too.

I guess when you are going to the more populated areas like K Banks and the like normally there would be someone within at least 'Flare' range...especially if its a weekend or glorious weather. I think that alot of skippers put a hell of alot of faith in their gear without understanding anything about how it works. I really feel for the coast guard sometimes and they must be tempted on leaving some people float around for a while as a lesson...

As a rule if we are doing much over 100km then we do our very best to have another boat travel with. Sometiomes tho the trouble is finding enough bodies to fill two.
    Personally I think an Epirb should be a very last resort.

1. Running out of fuel wasn't mentioned Yes it was and what the original query was specifically about

2. Coast Guard/VMR have limitations re insurance & skipper qualifications as to how far they can operate offshore without a specific direction from the police. An Epirb alert is something that will get this police direction & authority which then handles some of the limitations. However if the reason comes down to simply running out of fuel then you are way outside of your comfort zone.

If my engines failed that far out, I wouldn't think twice about turning the EPIRB on. I'd rather be in the dead boat warm & dry than floating around out of sight. Much easier to spot a boat than a person. Also would make it easier to pop a flare off when a possible rescuer is sighted.
    And you can keep fishing whilst waiting