Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: yeppoon Radio range / single engine out past radio range

Re: yeppoon Radio range / single engine out past radio range

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    Alright guys.........
    1.EPIRBs should only be used when there is a threat of grave and imminent danger. In the event of an emergency, communication should first be attempted with others close by using radios, phones and other signalling devices. Mobile phones can be used but should not be relied upon as they can be out of range, have low batteries or become water-damaged.
    1 - Making sense in this thread is not allowed.
    2 - Please read 1...

I was going to post something like that in a few more pages, it is quite clear really.

Now instead of those making excuses, being negative and avoiding what the issues are here lets cover the contingencies

1. No fuel. Why? exceeded vessels limitations, rough conditions, lack of understanding, leaking (big problem / different issue), failed to check, maintenance etc etc So don't exceed vessel limitations, get bigger tanks, carry reserve fuel, know the limitations, know the fuel burn in all conditions

2. No battery start. Why? fished all night, lack of maintenance, single battery installation etc etc So do you have reserve starting capacity, power pack

3. Beyond radio range. Why? Happy to put your life in danger, exceeded vessels limitation, don't understand radio reception etc etc So install proper communications to cover area of interest and don't exceed your capability

4. Failed radio. Why. Who knows. So you would have a spare or equiv backup

5. Failed steering. Why? generally lack of maintenance. So you would install a backup steering capability

6. Failed water pump. Why? Generally lack of maintenance. Backup contingency? depends on motor but can be worked around

7. And more if you think about it.

All the above can be put in place before you get yourself into a situation you have no control over. You simply need to ask yourself the questions and put the solution in place before the need arises. 99% of all issues can be solved by those with a little pre thought and aptitude instead of relying on others to fix your lacking and yes incompetence

Not too sure on your possibilities there, lots of stuff can "happen" and you cant have a spare radio, EPIRB, steering, battery, mobile.. the list goes on, I have seen enough things "happen" to me in my boating life that rendered me immobile that nothing short of a full workshop and a skilled person could have fixed, "things" happen, and usually happen when it is inconvenient, an example of things that I have had happen to me, the before mentioned fuel syphoning, a stupid Mako shark decided to get into the motor well and eat the fuel line, a BIG Yellowfin on the deck kicked the battery box and battery to bits ,and my tackle box and my balls after I tried to stand on it's tail to stop further damage, and it gave me a tail whack right to the "marble bag" how can you prevent stuff like that? cant carry enough spares to cover everything that could happen.

No more bite's from me Kerry. You must be loving this. Ever thought of coming over for a m&g? I may need a deckie? 100 k's out in my 540 sig should be right up your alley.

Ok im driving along in my boat in range plenty of fuel and BOOSHKA my boat hits a
    1. A whale
    2. another boat
    3. A submerged southerner with a poofter dog
    4. A bucket and I capsize my EPIRB will automaticely setoff cause it's a water activated model
    Yeah baby
    I know i'm well off course
    LOL
    Muddy made me do it
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post
    Now instead of those making excuses, being negative and avoiding what the issues are here lets cover the contingencies

1. No fuel. Why? exceeded vessels limitations, rough conditions, lack of understanding, leaking (big problem / different issue), failed to check, maintenance etc etc So don't exceed vessel limitations, get bigger tanks, carry reserve fuel, know the limitations, know the fuel burn in all conditions

2. No battery start. Why? fished all night, lack of maintenance, single battery installation etc etc So do you have reserve starting capacity, power pack

3. Beyond radio range. Why? Happy to put your life in danger, exceeded vessels limitation, don't understand radio reception etc etc So install proper communications to cover area of interest and don't exceed your capability

5. Failed steering. Why? generally lack of maintenance. So you would install a backup steering capability

6. Failed water pump. Why? Generally lack of maintenance. Backup contingency? depends on motor but can be worked around

All the above can be put in place before you get yourself into a situation you have no control over. You simply need to ask yourself the questions and put the solution in place before the need arises. 99% of all issues can be solved by those with a little pre thought and aptitude instead of relying on others to fix your lacking and yes incompetence

Where's this perfect world u speak of
    VHF CHANNEL 21

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by jtpython View Post

3. A submerged southerner with a poofter dog
    You'll be with me with your blue healer that wants to ravish angie pangie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    You'll be with me with your blue healer that wants to ravish angie pangie.
    Don't scare me more . I'll be towing u behind in the kayak shortly
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21

"Where's this perfect world u speak of"

1. That's just the ordinary world, very simple, covers 99% of things people get dragged home for of their own making, nothing complicated in any of that, mostly common sense really.

2. Is your vessel then not up to this simple level if you venture beyond the norm and have to rely on yourself?

Some of you blokes should move up the Torres Straits.

Free (or heavily subsidised) EPIRBS.

A couple of multi million dollar choppers, half a dozen full time crew, all supplied by us waiting at your bec and call every time you couldn't be bothered following the minimum of safe boating practices.

The acronym for EPIRB is 'Empty Petrol I Require Boat'
    I'm right 98% of the time - who cares about the other 3%

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post

1. I'm actually interested to know what backup steering capability is?
    2. A second steering wheel?
    3. A complete set of steering cables?
    4. A spare motor?
    5. I'm genuinely interested in this one!

Fellas I am leaving this thread.

It's plainly obvious Satnav is trolling.

I am pretty sure not one person has been educated or advised by any of this.

I have had a laugh or two out of it though...

Walrus signing off.... wait! Can anyone hear me? Maybe I am out of range... Help?!

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    Fellas I am leaving this thread.

It's plainly obvious Satnav is trolling.

I am pretty sure not one person has been educated or advised by any of this.

I have had a laugh or two out of it though...

Walrus signing off.... wait! Can anyone hear me? Maybe I am out of range... Help?!

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')
    Copy that-Roger Wilco-Over and out.

SATNAV

1. Any chance you could help us do up a checklist of safety gear and backup gear as we are going to the swains in a 24ft trailer boat?

2. Thanks