Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Wrong Wrong Wrong

Re: Wrong Wrong Wrong

Im still waiting to hear of your opinion on beach hauling.. asked you about 6 pages back?

Noel,
    haven't looked at the forum for a while.
    It was the day before the first lot of JB area closures came in, quite few years back now. Along the front of Moe's up from the pimple rock. had never seen them there before.
    Someone more cluey than me told me they were kingie traps, looked like giant lobster traps.
    Dunno why they were so close in to the rock. Although at a spot we used to fish further south, the kingies would come up close to rocks to inspect our pillies and then give it a miss.

Oh, someone told you they were Kingfish traps! They have been banned for decades now.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Oh, someone told you they were Kingfish traps! They have been banned for decades now.
    Noel the post appears to be upsetting you for some reason,; I suspect that they weren't banned at the time of the first round of the JB restrictions, which was probably at least a decade ago (leave the research to you). I'm quite happy with the explanation given to me, the size and shape fitted the bill.
    Quite happy for you to tell me otherwise. Shame you weren't there to see them with those of us who did.

ahhh Noel.. the voice of reason strikes again, your ever present objectiveness is just enlightening! It was 17 years ago actually.. objectively speaking that is one decade and 7 years ago not to be confused with decades which indicates a plural or decades*.... objectively speaking that is.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

I have kept records for the last 12 years and every time there is a major jew catch by pros in OUR river I dont record a single catch for at least 3 weeks and then its a one hit per session event.
    Also my records indicate a distinct decline in jewfish captures for that period of time..(12 years).

These fish are here to feed up on mullet and spawn. Thats if they make it past the nets...

Which is an answer for lbger. Any netting of spawning fish congregations should be banned. fullstop!!

The new fishing regulations being formulated at the moment would indicate that us amatuer fishos will be allowed one jew over 70cm which is fine by me but when you hear of 1 tonne,2 tonne,3tonne of jew taken out of a river in a single week what hope have the fish got , or we got of catching a fish after a massacre like that.
    Thats 3000kg or 300 x 10kg fish .....
    That could support a thriving tourism industry for fishos who want to spend their money here and I am sure it would generate more cash for the area than the $6 a kg that the netters get.. If a business owner ran his business like that I am sure he would go broke very quickly .
    Pretty typical for human nature though, a few easy bucks beats a period of economic growth and sustainability hands down.

Just have a look at some of the overseas countries to see where we are heading.

I know that there are a lot of fishos out there getting pretty mad at hearing about tonnes of jew in a week being netted in one river system alone..

On a positive note there are hundreds of whales going past here at the moment on their annual migration north. When the other fish stocks become depleted I am sure they will be on the hit list for our food... just a matter of time people...

I am still pissed off,apparently.
    cheers, steve.

Rabbi... Mate, i hear ya and if you look all through this thread i am absolutely opposed to beach hauling of spawning fish, there are a few people on here (and for the life of me cant understand that seem to think its ok and has no correlation to dwindling rec catches of desirable species jew included)

Pi#@ed off also.

Quote Originally Posted by lbger View Post
    Im still waiting to hear of your opinion on beach hauling.. asked you about 6 pages back?

OK, Here is my thoughts on beach netting (any pro fishing for that matter I guess) I think there is some room for beach hauling, the tricky bit is, how to manage it? and things like, ‘tonnes of Jewies” “A guy netted the Noosa river in 1970 and there has never been a Jew there since” “ bycatch” and emotive rants like that will achieve absolutely nothing, except maybe get a few “bites” on an internet forum! I THINK perhaps a stricter license and zone setup might be better, so, let’s say that the area from (say)Brisbane to Noosa (this is just an area I use as an example) can sustainably support 2? 4? 10? Beach haulers, this then becomes their only zone to fish, and it needs to be the whole of the east coast, so crews from QLD can’t go to NSW(and vice versa) and work when it suits, they are issued their license and zone and that’s it, if you want to expand your operations, you buy another zone, so there is no more numbers of crews working. What will/may this achieve? Perhaps prices may be higher to the end consumer, good or bad? Maybe a bit of both, higher prices mean the fishermangets more money, and just MAYBE it could make sending the catch offshore just abit more expensive, so more of our local product could find it’s way to ourshops, and less Basa and shit! That is only a “maybe” mind you. What about a quota system? In a way, I personally don’t fully agree with a quota setup (not100% against it either) if one guy can’t get his quota for whatever reason,then tough luck, you should not be able to buy quota, now I can see that a quota maintains a “total allowable catch” but I am still not convinced on that being the best way to govern how we go about maintaining stocks. Now we come to species that a certain license may not be entitled to catch, I don’t really see how simply dumping it is the complete answer, but with current laws that’s how it is, but if it was not that way, how do we prevent an unscrupulous operator to “accidently” catch “tonnes of Jews” and sell them? I kind of see somehow if the product could still be sold, and the profit goes to (say) research or perhaps to pay for more inspectors, or some other avenue, might be a better option, but the fisherman does NOT get the cash, would this prevent “accidental”catches? I propose that if a large catch of “something” is taken, by accident,then dumping it dead seems like about as bad a waste of resource as we could ever get, far better to make use of it somehow (in my opinion) For rec fishermen to make any difference to how pros operate, there needs to be a united non emotive voice, individuals who rave and rant just give the opposition better ammunition to use, rants can be disproved in an instant! So…. That’s my views on it, the method and target makes little difference, we could just as easily be talking about Prawn trawlers, their area (as mentioned before) Brisbane to Noosa can support X number of Prawners, then that’s it, that’s their area, take it or leave it? Any thoughts? Flame me if you like, I can take it? and more than happy to say “yep, I can seewhere I am wrong and that’s a better idea” this is not some sort of science, just my opinion, as we are all entitled to have one.
    Last edited by Noelm; 21-06-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: speling

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OK, Here is my thoughts on beach netting (any pro fishingfor that matter I guess) I think there is some room for beach hauling, the tricky bit is, how to manage it? and things like, ‘tonnes of Jewies” “A guynetted the Noosa river in 1970 and there has never been a Jew there since” “ bycatch” and emotive rants like that will achieve absolutely nothing, exceptmaybe get a few “bites” on an internet forum! I THINK perhaps a stricter license and zone setup might be better, so, let’s say that the area from (say)Brisbane to Noosa (this is just an area I use as an example) can sustainably support 2? 4? 10? Beach haulers, this then becomes their only zone to fish, and it needs to be the whole of the east coast, so crews from QLD can’t go to NSW(and vice versa) and work when it suits, they are issued their license and zone and that’s it, if you want to expand your operations, you buy another zone, so there is no more numbers of crews working. What will/may this achieve? Perhaps prices may be higher to the end consumer, good or bad? Maybe a bit of both, higher prices mean the fishermangets more money, and just MAYBE it could make sending the catch offshore just abit more expensive, so more of our local product could find it’s way to ourshops, and less Basa and shit! That is only a “maybe” mind you. What about a quota system? In a way, I personally don’t fully agree with a quota setup (not100% against it either) if one guy can’t get his quota for whatever reason,then tough luck, you should not be able to buy quota, now I can see that a quota maintains a “total allowable catch” but I am still not convinced on that being the best way to govern how we go about maintaining stocks. Now we come to species that a certain license may not be entitled to catch, I don’t really see how simply dumping it is the complete answer, but with current laws that’s how it is, but if it was not that way, how do we prevent an unscrupulous operator to “accidently” catch “tonnes of Jews” and sell them? I kind of see somehow if the product could still be sold, and the profit goes to (say) research or perhaps to pay for more inspectors, or some other avenue, might be a better option, but the fisherman does NOT get the cash, would this prevent “accidental”catches? I propose that if a large catch of “something” is taken, by accident,then dumping it dead seems like about as bad a waste of resource as we could ever get, far better to make use of it somehow (in my opinion) For rec fishermen to make any difference to how pros operate, there needs to be a united non emotive voice, individuals who rave and rant just give the opposition better ammunition to use, rants can be disproved in an instant! So…. That’s my views on it, the method and target makes little difference, we could just as easily be talking about Prawn trawlers, their area (as mentioned before) Brisbane to Noosa can support X number of Prawners, then that’s it, that’s their area, take it or leave it? Any thoughts? Flame me if you like, I can take it? and more than happy to say “yep, I can seewhere I am wrong and that’s a better idea” this is not some sort of science, just my opinion, as we are all entitled to have one.
    Ok cool 188 posts later but nice one..
    Rants are not to be confused with passion also Noelm.. Rants have caused demonstrations and protests..If enough people feel strongly enough about something a lot of the time stuff does gets done. Some of the comments about what has happened from first hand experience on this thread, you are saying is emotive rants and to just dismiss peoples first hand experience has given you an air of "im above you" Its a passionate topic mate and makes my blood boil (and lots of other people) to see the destruction it causes (firsthand experience). But anyway good on you for putting up your view.

nope, never disputed any "first hand" stuff that didn't appear to be somewhat embellished, just asked for clarity when someone was "told by a mate" or "heard" also never said I supported the beach haulers either, BUT I do believe that there is a place for them, how that place is decided is the issue, and banning them altogether is NOT going to happen and neither should it (in my opinion) but we do need far tighter control over methods of fishing, both rec and pro, boats and equipment are getting better by the day, enable "us" to go further and wider to catch species that were once almost unknown to us, it needs to be a two way street.

need far tighter control over methods of fishing, both rec and pro, boats and equipment are getting better by the day, enable "us" to go further and wider to catch species that were once almost unknown to us, it needs to be a two way street.

yep agree, if all rec fishers only took what they needed it would be a good thing also.. the thing that will also never happen is the fact there just isnt enough ppl to enforce this.. on the goldy though its pretty good i would say that i get pulled over once every 3 times i go fishing even 10 11ks offshore which is pretty cool Its mainly by the police but they also check your catch.

Yep yep..

passion is a driving force behind most peoples opinions and in my case it is a passion.
    You ban golf balls from being used at a golf course and see how long it takes before you get whacked with a golf club!

I think with the new regs coming into force or proposed to come into force for NSW will halve the bag limits for current everyday fishos but still allow open slather for pros.
    I have heard from from a qualified source that 1kg of fish costs the average fisho $67 per kg to catch through buying gear, boats etc and yes
    I know the pros have high costs too so they must have high yields to cover such costs and I know of quite a few outside pros that have a very high lifestyle from their catches, but the river systems are much more limited with what can be taken out than the deep blue sea.
    I heard from a couple of wise old fishos that to protect the river and make it more sustainable there should be a complete ban on river netting and also 3km from the river mouth in any direction and then the netters can utilise the remainder of the beaches.

I know for sure that the line fishing pros do very well indeed off Evans Heads when the mulloway run..

All of my''rants'' are based on knowledge that I know is factual and what I have physically seen myself and is not me in 'hysterical' mode...

I am one for fairness in any area of society but their seems to be quite a lot of discrimination against the amatuer fisho.

I think all of us will be buying our fish from fish shops soon with the current an upcoming government regulations..

cheers,steve..

Another note if any of you are interested.

The Clarence river boys netted another 800kg of jew in the Richmond a few nights back.....

thats just awesome hey

Good detail there Rabbi I think a lot are on your side.

I was on the Cardwell Jetty some years ago and tried to help a young Greman fella unwrap a Barra from the stumps and he said he can't afford to fish in his country he goes to Scandinavia to fish.

Talking to a lure maker from Denmark via the net and he reports it costs a lot to be allowed to fish in his country.

That's the future for your Grandkids fellas.

Gordon