Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrong Wrong Wrong

Wrong Wrong Wrong

I was down the coast today and dropped into Snapper Rocks to have a look only to find the Pro netters at work, they had 7 large nets full of mullet up on the beach in the sun, three boat and a hand full of 4WD. Why does our government allow this to happen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Wrong Wrong Wrong

Yeah it doesn,t make sense.. the net profit (no pun intended) on this practice must be just next to nothing... they could make more money washing dishes.. its just bull*^#t!!

Someone once told me it's the roe they are after for export markets.

Mullet are one of the few fish that most of the fish is used in some form. flesh, roe, gut etc.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Come one guys, With out the pro's we would be paying $20 a kg for Mullet and $40 a kg for mullet fillets.
    Mullet should be at $1 a kg soon. Yipeeeeeeee

Not sure if that sarcasm timddo... but a cast net usually sorts out a few mullet?

Quote Originally Posted by lbger View Post
    Yeah it doesn,t make sense.. the net profit (no pun intended) on this practice must be just next to nothing... they could make more money washing dishes.. its just bull*^#t!!
    They make money from the roe, it goes to Japan I'm told.
    from what I seen of it around Pottsville last weekend, it was mostly mullet.

When I fish off Kingscliff or Black rock beach I always see huge trawlers about 2km out, must be sitting in a channel, someone told me prawns but I'll bet they are fish trawlers too.

Personally I don't see the point in worrying about beach netters, I am sure the beach netters account for a minimal take compared to the 3 or 4 Massive boats sitting just offshore every night.

Just wish there was more fish left overall for us.

Dan

I was there at midday when the fish were schooled just off the lifeguard tower at Snapper and these blokes were waiting,do they put the fish in eskies or the back of a ute ?

They take catch from the beach and load em into plastic freezer tubs.
    Then drive from beach with 4wd to nearby parked 20 tonne chiller truck, multiple trips.

The ones I seen went to Sydney fish markets, where they are prolly sold to buyers wanting the best and freshest fare ( I only seen the NSW ones).

Well you cant get any better than those crystalline waters.

Just they don't fish too well,'''
    but I'm not sure what the beach net fishers cause?
    Is there any science here, probably not because most science comes from the government and you can bet its compromised, and private science is busy riping off the compromised yet cashed up government science.

Science is a great perk because no one understands it so most just dribble a bit of rubbish and get paid good money. Everyone happy.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    They make money from the roe, it goes to Japan I'm told.
    from what I seen of it around Pottsville last weekend, it was mostly mullet.

When I fish off Kingscliff or Black rock beach I always see huge trawlers about 2km out, must be sitting in a channel, someone told me prawns but I'll bet they are fish trawlers too.

Personally I don't see the point in worrying about beach netters, I am sure the beach netters account for a minimal take compared to the 3 or 4 Massive boats sitting just offshore every night.

Just wish there was more fish left overall for us.

Dan

Isnt that just exactly the point of whinging about it.. using the whole fish... mentioning targeting spawning fish full of roe and selling it to the japanese just makes it even worse..

Quote Originally Posted by lbger View Post
    Isnt that just exactly the point of whinging about it.. using the whole fish... mentioning targeting spawning fish full of roe and selling it to the japanese just makes it even worse..
    Hard to say really, without any real proof.

All I know is all the beach fishos I have chatted to over the last few weeks have only really been catching dart.

The netters make money out of it, so its a fair deal in that regard, and it would be top quality product.

There just does not seem to be many fish left over for beach rec fishers, In saying that we don't own the beach, nor can we really have a go at guys making a dollar when if they were not doing it someone else would be.

There obviously needs to be some kind of monetary buy out of financial return if you expect people to leave a money making venture.

Not sure how a buyback would be effective.

Makes you wonder with a fish like mullet being a plankton feeder maybe they could dump some iron in the water down south and increase their numbers, kind of like farming (of course would be cost blow out, just thinking)
    Then of course you would have a glut in the market and no one would make as much money.

Actually mullet are not to bad to eat when fresh.

Simply as it appears as much as many like to bag the environmentalists amongst us, the world still very much relies on the environment to fill its belly.

My opinion has always been clean up and look after the major rivers and waterways, which is a long term strategy starting from Jack mowing his lawn to Jill working in an Industrial plant, then all the way to the waterways themselves.

Dan

aahh, must be winter again, this old topic gets dragged out every season.

I my honest opinion, the doers and thinkers of the research world frequently get knocked on the head to be replaced by yes men and desktop aficionados who can write a scientific report without even leaving the office (yes thats right, that is how most of them are produced, it called desktop based research).

We get what we deserve.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    Dan
    See how all this sort of thing goes belly up, you see a couple of trawlers, you are told they are Prawn trawlers, but you "bet" they are fish trawlers, the fact is.... you have no idea do you? does not make it right or wrong, but you need to KNOW before any aspersions are cast on any fishing method.

Need that and more for Agnes in september.