Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Wrong Wrong Wrong

Re: Wrong Wrong Wrong

Professional fisherman beach hauling to sustain professional line fisherman.. great...

So then... what it amounts to is, you don't like Pro fisherman?? because the Pro line fisherman uses exactly the same method that you and I use, same goes for the guy thats aid the Pros caught all the Kingfish, they use the same legal methods that we can all use if we wanted to.

Why is this thread turn silly?
    Ok, then are buy backs feasible?

I mean why are they not happening to a point?

I have heard that the buybacks don't offer a fair buy back price, just the general tone of things, myself personally do not know a lot about it.

So until people work out what is fair and what is feasible, no one has an aim to reach an objective.

what is on offer?
    what is to be gained?
    And something I dare say, the increased responsibility of a massive influx of recs if the ideal situation occurred.

Dan

Commercial license buy backs are an awesome idea in working towards a total inhalation of the Australian seafood industry.

Decrease in exports. Yep, that's a fantastic way for a country to grow economically.

Quote Originally Posted by Boat hog 2 View Post
    Commercial license buy backs are an awesome idea in working towards a total inhalation of the Australian seafood industry.

Decrease in exports. Yep, that's a fantastic way for a country to grow economically.
    So a buyback would not help anyone?

Dan

So you have been lead lining? The preferred method of catching kingies by pro's.. Trolling a lead line with a few hooks baited with squid. Hands up rec fishers who have a lead line?
    Trap fishing for Kingies also got banned as it was unsustainable... If you don't think the pros near wiped out the kingfish population, maybe you never fished for them through the late eighties to mid nineties?
    Its not that i dont dislike pro's im sure they are nice blokes... I love my fishing and spend a lot of time and money on the sport as do a lot of ppl on this site (being a rec fishing site n all) I hate the blatantly obvious unsustainable practices that are still in place.. have we not learnt our lessons yet?

By the way.. when i was a kid (16) i did work on a pro boat catching kings.. At Montague island Narooma.

Just to reiterate - the intent of net free regions is to enhance marine ecosystems and protect species into the future, enhance recreational fishing and associated tourism and enhance commercial fishing productivity.
    The NSW inshore commercial fleet became more productive following the establishment of 30 recreational fishing havens in 2001 and the buy back of 300 inshore commercial licences. 30 less areas to fish, 300 less licences and productivity goes up - well I'll be buggered. The remaining netters are happy, making money and have security for their family's future. Recs are catching more and bigger fish and tourism is benefitting - at the expense of Queensland. I would also suggest that these rfh's were poorly applied and better results could have been attained.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Just to reiterate - the intent of net free regions is to enhance marine ecosystems and protect species into the future, enhance recreational fishing and associated tourism and enhance commercial fishing productivity.
    The NSW inshore commercial fleet became more productive following the establishment of 30 recreational fishing havens in 2001 and the buy back of 300 inshore commercial licences. 30 less areas to fish, 300 less licences and productivity goes up - well I'll be buggered. The remaining netters are happy, making money and have security for their family's future. Recs are catching more and bigger fish and tourism is benefitting - at the expense of Queensland. I would also suggest that these rfh's were poorly applied and better results could have been attained.
    Are you saying tourism makes money?
    Wow, what about our exports of mullet gut?
    Does it compare.?

Like I was saying if a buyback then a fair one, yet no one has commented on that aspect.

Dan

Lead lining is perfectly legal for a rec fisherman, and ONE hook is used, not multiple, Kingfish traps have not been in use for christ knows how long, not 100% sure how line fishing is not sustainable, if that's your view, then best pack up your gear, because we all line fish.

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    So a buyback would not help anyone?

Dan
    Let's put it this way......for someone so adamant there are no jobs around I would have thought that keeping Australian industry alive would be in your best interests.

License buy backs do nothing but take from one group of stakeholders to give to another for no gain apart from a few wingers getting their way, satisfied in knowing that their needs were greater than another's based on the premise that their cause is far more holier because it's not driven by financial gain.
    Elimination is not the answer, management is.

Quote Originally Posted by Boat hog 2 View Post
    Let's put it this way......for someone so adamant there are no jobs around I would have thought that keeping Australian industry alive would be in your best interests.

License buy backs do nothing but take from one group of stakeholders to give to another for no gain apart from a few wingers getting their way, satisfied in knowing that their needs were greater than another's based on the premise that their cause is far more holier because it's not driven by financial gain.
    Elimination is not the answer, management is.
    If the buyback is fair, then many gain , and many would gain financially.
    Get real.
    Simply I was asking what is fair?

Are you a net fisherman?
    I doubt it, you seem to lack the goods to understand anything I have said.

Dan

Noelm..we used two sometimes three hooks mate.. i was there, holding the line, bringing in the fish.. Sometimes we even held two lines at once and filled boxes and boxes of fish. Sure we can use a lead line but my point is its not rec fishing (this site is about rec fishing just to remind ya) The traps went in 96 btw.. and their effect were felt for over a decade i would say.. and still the big big fish are mostly absent from the usual haunts in any numbers..

"if that's your view, then best pack up your gear, because we all line fish".... Are you a Pro????

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    If the buyback is fair, then many gain , and many would gain financially.
    Get real.
    Simply I was asking what is fair?

Are you a net fisherman?
    I doubt it, you seem to lack the goods to understand anything I have said.

Dan

Oh! So my understanding is somewhat skewed?
    Pots and kettles Dan.

So your solution dedicates that a buy back of commercial licenses is the answer so as long as it is fair.
    So a license buy back occurs at a cost to the government and the commercial sector is happy. Sounds great on the surface.
    But then the people employed by these commercial operators are unemployed, uncompensated and bitching and moaning they have no money or jobs.
    What happens next is that the wholesalers, distributors, transporters and everyone they employ suddenly find themselves without any more business, more people find themselves lined up at centerlink and companys fold due to a now non existent business sector.
    What happens now is that consumers find themselves having to buy imported seafood as local products are now a thing of the past.
    Let's recap on this very simplistic view of events so far shall we?
    Government spends a lot of money to buy licenses back.
    Employees of commercial fishermen are made unemployed.
    Commercial fishing ceases ( employers of people, payers of tax, consumers of goods and services).
    Wholesalers, distributors, transporters and retailers shut up shop, same as above, less jobs, more people unemployed, less consumers of goods and services bla bla bla.....
    Consumers buy imported seafood in turn sending their money overseas instead of keeping it here supporting local business.
    So when you mentioned fair buyback packages is this what you were referring to? Large scale unemployment, business close down, sending money overseas, reducing consumer spending in retail fishing sector,,, shall I go on?
    When a government manages natural assets it is impossible for all concerned parties to be truely satisfied. Paying the needs of a group of stakeholders at the detriment of another's is not feasible nor is it fair but when one group of stakeholders argument is based on the ability to have a bit of fun and enjoy their past time at the detriment of employment, the economy and common sense then this kind of a mind set is just ludicrous.
    Like I said before correct management is the only answer, both parties will never be truely satisfied, it's all about compromise.
    So who has the misunderstanding now?
    Unemployment, sending money overseas, lessening available jobs all so you can catch more fish? Yep, you seem to be a walking contradiction that obviously doesn't seem to understand a lot yourself.
    Pots and kettles Dan, and you wish to question MY understanding?

Dan, there are a couple of guys in the K8 fishery that believe $1.5 mil is what their licence is worth. I doubt that it would be in the community's interest to pay that much and I'd say they're dreamin. Figures that have been bandied around over the years are between $3 & $5 mil for 17xK8 licences which includes a few latent. Of those 17, perhaps half want out and that would leave the guys who want to stay netting and who hopefully can stay netting and make some better coin. I wouldn't know what's fair or proper and it's all hypothetical anyway - not going to be any mullet licences bought out for a while at least. FQ says it's all good and the Minister believes them.

Been plenty of studies done around the world on the value of recreational fishing compared to commercial and rec fishing kills it every time. Areas dedicated to rec fishing would create more jobs than is lost from the commercial sector considering that productivity of the commercial sector can be expected to increase. But sometimes it's not all about jobs now - there's a future to consider which includes that of the netters as well.

How do you manage a fishery that's being overfished Boat Hog?

Boat hog, I would be more supportive of local pros if they managed the local area and we had a sustainable local fishery. Don't you get it-LOCAL. It's bullshit when when you see pros from other parts of Queensland netting the crap out of the local barra fishery. There is no management at all. The gladstone area fishery would be similar to hinchinbrook if it was managed better. A fair few pros here have jobs already in other industries and net/crab purely so they can keep a license & when the seasons are good they just make more MONEY. Why not buy them out and leave the blokes actually doing it for a living. We do need pros, we just need better management.