Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Wrong Wrong Wrong

Re: Wrong Wrong Wrong

I wonder how you guys think the NSW residents feel when QLD mullet crews target NSW beaches legally?
    the whole fishery is not just all QLD.
    some of us actually live in NSW.
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT GET ON A BOARD OR run for parliament or the likes and do something to change it.
    I've seen for years guys standing on the wharf going on about how to fix this and that but at the end of the day they don't put there hand up when someone calls for someone to speak out.
    mostly full of crap

Quote Originally Posted by Boat hog 2 View Post
    Oh! So my understanding is somewhat skewed?
    Pots and kettles Dan.

So your solution dedicates that a buy back of commercial licenses is the answer so as long as it is fair.
    So a license buy back occurs at a cost to the government and the commercial sector is happy. Sounds great on the surface.
    But then the people employed by these commercial operators are unemployed, uncompensated and bitching and moaning they have no money or jobs.
    What happens next is that the wholesalers, distributors, transporters and everyone they employ suddenly find themselves without any more business, more people find themselves lined up at centerlink and companys fold due to a now non existent business sector.
    What happens now is that consumers find themselves having to buy imported seafood as local products are now a thing of the past.
    Let's recap on this very simplistic view of events so far shall we?
    Government spends a lot of money to buy licenses back.
    Employees of commercial fishermen are made unemployed.
    Commercial fishing ceases ( employers of people, payers of tax, consumers of goods and services).
    Wholesalers, distributors, transporters and retailers shut up shop, same as above, less jobs, more people unemployed, less consumers of goods and services bla bla bla.....
    Consumers buy imported seafood in turn sending their money overseas instead of keeping it here supporting local business.
    So when you mentioned fair buyback packages is this what you were referring to? Large scale unemployment, business close down, sending money overseas, reducing consumer spending in retail fishing sector,,, shall I go on?
    When a government manages natural assets it is impossible for all concerned parties to be truely satisfied. Paying the needs of a group of stakeholders at the detriment of another's is not feasible nor is it fair but when one group of stakeholders argument is based on the ability to have a bit of fun and enjoy their past time at the detriment of employment, the economy and common sense then this kind of a mind set is just ludicrous.
    Like I said before correct management is the only answer, both parties will never be truely satisfied, it's all about compromise.
    So who has the misunderstanding now?
    Unemployment, sending money overseas, lessening available jobs all so you can catch more fish? Yep, you seem to be a walking contradiction that obviously doesn't seem to understand a lot yourself.
    Pots and kettles Dan, and you wish to question MY understanding?
    If you read what I said, I mentioned that there might be an added management responsibility with an influx of recs and tourists, that is if the ideal buy back occurred.
    Sorry mate I don't buy the jobs thing, if it happened gradually it would not be so bad.

How do you know that the net fishing has not put people out of work in other sectors? pots and kettles mate, pots and kettles.
    There is a value in rec fishing and associated tourism.

With your mind set we should just flogg everything off for the good of "the economy" sounds good, though in my mind I would have thought a smaller fishery would make the ones left over more profitable, at present I think most would agree it is being "flogged".

It is strange you appear to be 'for' net fishing but jump up and down when some one mentions a fair buy back?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by warti View Post
    Boat hog, I would be more supportive of local pros if they managed the local area and we had a sustainable local fishery. Don't you get it-LOCAL. It's bullshit when when you see pros from other parts of Queensland netting the crap out of the local barra fishery. There is no management at all. The gladstone area fishery would be similar to hinchinbrook if it was managed better. A fair few pros here have jobs already in other industries and net/crab purely so they can keep a license & when the seasons are good they just make more MONEY. Why not buy them out and leave the blokes actually doing it for a living. We do need pros, we just need better management.
    So, are you saying that if I am a pro fisherman in QLD I can just go and "net the crap" out of Barra, I can go go crabbing, Prawn Trawling, Mackeral fishing and so on, any time I like, I don't need any sort of endorsement to fish other sectors or use other methods?

Noelm, this is another case of un-educated stabs in the dark.
    Warti, Not just ANY Pro-Fisherman can fish anything he wants. Each river system or geographic location has "Shares" or "Endorsements" that they must buy to be able to fish that particular style. Eg. Estuary Mullet Meshing, Ocean Handline, Ocean Trawl etc etc.
    Under Fisheries implemented laws, each region, (Gladstone may have up to a dozen "Regions"), is designated a particular amount of endorsements. One fisherman, could technically own all the endorsements if he was efficient enough. Most of the time when fisherman from other regions or areas go to different locations it's because they've bought a share in that fishery and may only fish it once or twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by lbger View Post
    Noelm "if that's your view, then best pack up your gear, because we all line fish".... Are you a Pro????
    Nope, not a pro at all, and if you read all my posts, you will clearly see I have not supported anyone, but if someone posts something that appears to be somewhat "embelished" I question it, just like I questioneed Samson when he said he used 40KG of bait a day, the response was perectly acceptable to me, he was a pro operator, and as such he could well use that much bait, so to me, thats fine, he proved his response was legitimate, same goes for any of the other posts in this thread, if you have something to say, go ahead, but keep it FACTUAL, emotive rants and hear say will gain nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by GABBA110360 View Post
    I wonder how you guys think the NSW residents feel when QLD mullet crews target NSW beaches legally?
    the whole fishery is not just all QLD.
    some of us actually live in NSW.
    Personally, I'd be interested in your opinion on this matter Gabba, your being an ex-commercial fisher.
    As I NSW rec fisher, I don't like it one bit, but I'm sure you have more insight on this matter than me.

"Nope, not a pro at all, and if you read all my posts, you will clearly see I have not supported anyone, but if someone posts something that appears to be somewhat "embelished" I question it"

Maybe a stint in politics would be a good move they never give a definitive answer or opinion on many subjects as well.. Its all good, the only thing i guess i cant understand is in light of the thread topic, as a rec fisherman, not a pro you dont have an opinion either way in relation to beach hauling spawning fish.... good or bad..

I think its bad. (beach hauling spawning fish)

I do have an opinion, but I just like to see any thoughts (for and against) put forward, a few pages back someone suggested we need more rec only fishing areas, would he be supportive of more "green zones" that being no one at all can fish there? nope, I reckon not, what it amounts to is, WE think the fish are ours, and ours alone, and any pro should be banned or something, that is simply not the way to go.

well mate, give us your thoughts then......

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    Noelm, this is another case of un-educated stabs in the dark.
    Warti, Not just ANY Pro-Fisherman can fish anything he wants. Each river system or geographic location has "Shares" or "Endorsements" that they must buy to be able to fish that particular style. Eg. Estuary Mullet Meshing, Ocean Handline, Ocean Trawl etc etc.
    Under Fisheries implemented laws, each region, (Gladstone may have up to a dozen "Regions"), is designated a particular amount of endorsements. One fisherman, could technically own all the endorsements if he was efficient enough. Most of the time when fisherman from other regions or areas go to different locations it's because they've bought a share in that fishery and may only fish it once or twice a year.
    Thank you for replying with exactly what I said with my uneducated information! A pro can come from another area and net the guts out of my local fishery with no regards to the effects of his action (cause he my only do it twice a year as you say). Drive home and continue in their local area. This is what I mean by LOCAL. Maybe you do not know/remember what happened at the mouth of the boyne? Can you please provide me with the actual information on the regional areas,overlaps of these regional areas? I might also add that I have a few mates whom are mates with a fair few pros so I do know a little bit of what goes on behind closed doors.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
    Personally, I'd be interested in your opinion on this matter Gabba, your being an ex-commercial fisher.
    As I NSW rec fisher, I don't like it one bit, but I'm sure you have more insight on this matter than me.
    in my situation of being on the amateur side these days I don't like the idea of my favourite spot being trashed before I even thought about going there.
    But the blokes netting the spot are only doing what they are legally
    allowed to do through there license allocation.

Don't worry it pisss me of if I think my spot to get a nice school jew has been trashed by 6 inch and chaining during the week when i'm at work but that's how the cookie crumbles.
    we all have a vocation whether it be fishing or banking and we do so to make a living

This story tells a little of what happens to the so called by product.

http://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.au...tters/1897355/
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Quote Originally Posted by mylestom View Post
    This story tells a little of what happens to the so called by product.

http://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.au...tters/1897355/
    Not defending them too much but IMO in the food industry if the load is rejected then it is illegal to sell or even give away.
    I have seen similar food wastage in other sectors when a load gets rejected.
    At best it could be used for fertilizer, even pet food has quality controls that stop certain product being used.

They are all undersized?
    Something is up there as you would think any undersized would be thrown back? , unless they tried to move them on the sly.
    The article does not really give much detail?

Dan

kingfish paper.jpg

Taken from The Coffs Advocate today.

This is what happened a few years ago.

Looks like I wont be fishing light again for a long time again.

Dont get me started on this topic guys..
    The pros havnt made any friends in the richmond at ballina this week with tonnes of big jew netted in the river. the amateurs will be hard up to catch a jew now for some time as the freezers at the co-op are full or they may be on their way to sydney as I am typing this.
    I for one am not going to throw any jew back now with the mentality of the pro fishers. stuff trying to conserve stocks when they are allowed to net the crap out of them. will keep my bag limit every time....
    As as far as I am concerned I hope the amateurs fish the crap outa this river this year and that means less fish in the nets..
    the local community does not benefit at all from this practise at around $6kg that the pros get and it all goes to sydney and a lot of river pros are on government subsidies to keep them with money in their pockets...
    A lot of angry fishos here thats for sure..