Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Wrong Wrong Wrong

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Re: Wrong Wrong Wrong

Hey Slider, do they still Net up that way during the "Rainbow Beach Family Fishing Classic". Cheers Manta Man

Absolutely Manta Man. It's held smack bang in the middle of the most intense netting that occurs throughout the year. Something that most entrants wouldn't be aware of is that the gun tailor fishos from this area know only too well that their chances of finding good tailor (or other species) along Teewah and Rainbow Beaches during the comp are very limited, so they fish half way up Fraser in the no netting zone.

D.I. lagoon was netted yesterday - I'm told.

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    FWIW, I agree with 'green zones' and protected areas in the Marine Environment much the same way as National Parks. But only, that's ONLY, where such areas are identified as being of unique importance etc by Scientific Means. The lock em out at all costs mentality is wrong, wrong, wrong.

I've had a few beers and that's only my opinion,

Cheers,
    Jim, if that was how green zones were decided, then I'd be right with you in supporting them. Regrettably, it isn't.

The rationale as applied by the greenies here in Australia is that they demand 30% or some other "scientifically determined percentage" of all different habitat types in any area to be protected.

So as an example, you can have "inshore rocky reef" as one habitat type, "boiturbated mud" as another. So then thy say there is a dire need to preserve 30% of each of those habitat types, regardless of considerations like you have put forward - ie there could be absolutely nothing unique, special or even pristine about it and it could be declared a lock out zone!

We even had the debacle in Moreton Bay of inshore rocky reef areas around St Helena Island being declared Green zones - these areas had been mined for coral/limestone for 30 years for cement, for heavens sake - but the greenies insisted on X% of that habitat being declared green, and so it was.

The other queston you asked about whether there are examples of fisheries management approaches resulting in species becoming more abundant - well, look no further than flathead as a perfect example. Size, bag and slot limits applied some years ago, and flathead numbers are now far better than they have been in many years.

Crikey, there are so many of them out there that they even can be caught in big numbers on bits of plastic

Another example is southern bluefin tuna. International qoutas, TAC's and other fisheries restrictions have seen stocks rebound further and faster than even the experts predicted. Gemfish are yet another example. And we could keep on qouting examples of similar successes.

And none of those species that are now recovered or recovering strongly required anti-fishing green zones to achieve that result.

Many of the overseas examples our friend Slider refers to are from countries where there is no effective fisheries management. And where fishing methods of the local population still include dynamite and cyanide. In these cultures and circumstances, declaring whole areas, reefs etc as no fishing zones may well be the only option that works.

That's why you have to beware of people quoting overseas successes as justification for implementing the same approaches here in Australia.

As you can see, that sledgehammer approach is hardly warranted in Australia because our culture and circumstances are somewhat different, thankfully.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

No, I'm referring to countries like New Zealand, the U.S. and South Africa actually.

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Cheers for that Slider

Gloriously calm morning with a spectacular sunrise and walked to the 3rd cut and back to Teewah for a bunch of cowries and to see if there is anything moving in the surf. Saw a few small dart and some terns looking for food, but didn't see any feeding. So an improvement on yesterday's similar walk to the north, as I only saw the undersized caught dart yesterday and the usual flocks of seagulls. This is a routine I go through on a regular basis - I rarely see anything on these walks but it's a way of keeping tabs on fish and tern movements - or lack of.
    But after yesterday's comment in this thread of being inspected twice in 40+ years by fisheries inspectors on this beach, I was passed this morning by a Fishwatch vehicle. They inspected the only angler I saw, but it's nice to know that at least they do still come up here - even though it's really quiet on the beach and hardly anyone around. The angler had 1 flathead in his bucket and was picking up a few undersized flathead and said he can't find anything else - which is the usual story here in June/July.

Wow! This sure is a long thread.
    We had heaps of places round and near Jervis Bay made 'no fishing' areas with the stated aim of providing breeding areas for the small fish. *
    However many of the spots included had obviously nothing to do with breeding little fish but more to do with where bods had been washed off the rocks, needs of the local aborigines, somebody's personal views. A lot of the well known sea facing rock fishing spots were included.
    I think that there were several agendas running as well as the one of protecting baby fish.
    recently most of the restricted areas outside of the Bay have been taken off the 'no fishing' list so common sense has prevailed.
    * I happened to fish Moes Rock the day before the restrictions came in, it was wall to wall kingfish traps along the rock. Almost impossible to find somewhere to cast. The pros were having a final fling.

Yep,
    A lot of the rivers are also breeding grounds and nurseries for fish and they have a seasonal run of fish to spawn, such as mullet and mulloway.
    How easy is it to net these fish when schooling? TOO EASY!!!
    Anyone with any fish sense at all could net these fish. I dont know about a passed down skill for some people, moreso a desire to kill as many breeding fish in one session as they can and then sell them for their eggs which is worth a few bucks and then the rest is basically given away.
    Mulloway are extremely easy to find and net when spawning too and are extremely devalued by that method of capture. $6 a kg, what a joke, the retailers in sydney are making the money not our local industry or community.

you want people to spend their money in a fishing paradise you have to support that way of thinking and people will come with their money if they can catch a trophy fish. I was talking to some people at a caravan park this morning and they said they are going elsewhere next time as they came here to catch a feed of fish (spend their money..) and got bugger all.

A couple of weeks ago there was plenty of jew for everyone!!
    This week there has hardly been a fish caught.. All gone apart from a few lucky fish that may have slipped the net.

What will happen now is in about 2 weeks time there will be a few more ocean fish enter the river to spawn and they will end up in a net as well. This trend will continue with ever decreasing pro catches until the second week of September when whatever is left of the river jew population will move back downstream to leave the river and there will be a net waiting too and then the jew catches will dwindle to almost nothing.. Not even close to sustainable despite what their surveys show.
    The jew stocks are bound to have an inevitable crash and ultimately have closed seasons and even stricter rules for us amateurs.
    The contempt is growing against netting gradually and eventually they may do something about it but here we are paying fishing licence fees to support a commercial harvesting industry..

Have a look on the net and look at Byron Bay Sundive clips of the cod hole and Julian rocks and see the amount of life in a no go zone and then look at what the happy hunting ground Richmond river has left..

Netting beaches and rivers has no future...Wrong,wrong,wrong.

Pretty pissed off at the moment guys..

I have just completed training with Human Behaviour and I am pretty sure this is the emotional response. I havnt got to the communication or ethics part yet

Quote Originally Posted by littlejim View Post
    Wow! This sure is a long thread.

* I happened to fish Moes Rock the day before the restrictions came in, it was wall to wall kingfish traps along the rock. Almost impossible to find somewhere to cast. The pros were having a final fling.
    when and where were these Kingfish traps located?

Why do people on here think it is great to smash the snapper in Moreton Bay during their spawning run yet condemn other sectors of the fishing industry for doing a similar thing.
    Would everyone be happy if the pros pushed for a 3 month closure of snapper during winter?

I'm hearing ya Rabbi - I live in a permanent state of pissed off - and piss poor commercial fishing practices.

On jew - a particularly good local angler with 60 years experience fishing this region who used to focus on jew and happens to be the brother of a local beach hauler, has told me several times that the jew disappeared altogether from this region after a large haul of roed up jew from the mouth of the Noosa in the early 70s (by his family) - about when I started fishing here. They have never returned according to him, and if he hadn't told me that story I would never have known they were here at all. The old man and I fished through the 70s and 80s with baits - pilchards, tailor flesh, whiting, mullet etc through the nights and while we caught a hell of a lot of tailor and sharks and the odd spaniard, we never struck a single jew. You hear of the odd one but there's never any size to them and the pros don't get any in their nets.

My grandfather was a club angler from Ocean View Drive Wamberal who fished with the Terrigal club from before WW1. He showed me the photos of the 70lb jew they'd get on handlines and later overheads, the 30lb snapper off the rocks etc etc. He said when the nets started, everything disappeared and by the time I started fishing there in the early 70s, he refused to come fishing as he said it's pointless. And it wasn't real good at all compared to Teewah at that time. Now Teewah is just like Wamberal was then and it would seem for precisely the same reason. Now I don't fish here because I reckon it's pointless and that's pretty well the attitude of eveyone else in Teewah. You see the odd local getting excited about mediocre dart or a 'haul' of 3 or 4 choppers, or 2 bream/tarwhine and I swallow the words that want to pour out and say that "they'll be nice for dinner" - as a standard response that won't offend.

I guess the fishing is fine here if you don't know what it was like.

So... they never netted back in "the old days"? and somehow netting is why the fishing is not as good as it was 60 years ago? I kind of doubt much of that sort of stuff has anything to do with why there is now no Jewfish in the Noosa river (whether there is or not, I don't know) Netting has ben going on for a very long time, I have an old photo at home of a big haul of fish netted just near my place by guys wearing hats and long pants, probably taken around the 1930's, I think you are groping at straws with that statement. Habitat, pollution and sheer numbers of people would be more to blame than some guy that netted the Noosa river 60 years ago.

I'm just quoting the brother of a pro on that one Noelm.

Whoops - put a further reply to Noelm's in the other thread in Saltwater chat.

Still want to know where all these Kingfish traps were that were within casting distance of the shore, and when this actually was.