Thread: Don't come the raw prawn, stick to the limit

Don't come the raw prawn, stick to the limit

Queensland Government
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

22 May 2013
    Don’t come the raw prawn, stick to the limit

Fishers are reminded to respect legal possession limits following recent reports of recreational fishers targeting prawns with cast nets in the waters adjacent to Woodgate Beach.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol district manager Greg Bowness said it was very important for all fishers to check the rules before fishing and act responsibly.

“We have received multiple reports of fishers exceeding the possession limit of 10 litres of prawns.

“These fishers have allegedly made repeated trips to and from the beach to drop off their catch to waiting vehicles before returning to the fishing ground.”

Mr Bowness said fishers need to understand that the rules are in place to ensure sustainable fisheries for Queensland now and into the future.

“Possession limits must be respected to protect our fisheries,” he said.

“The limits are in place to conserve heavily exploited species and those that are susceptible to capture.

“They also allow catches to be shared more equitably amongst fishers and reduce the illegal marketing of fish.”

Mr Bowness said fishers taking more than the legal possession limit are risking fines and depletion of local stock if they don’t stick to the rules.

“A possession limit refers to the total number of fish an individual can legally take and have in their possession at any one time – it does not apply on a per day basis.

“This includes the fish you have caught previously that are in your freezer at home, camp site or in your caravan.

“QBFP will be increasing patrols in the area to ensure fishers are sticking to the rules.

“Breaching possession limits is a serious offence and one which attracts fines of up to $110 000, or an on-the-spot infringement notice up to $440 for taking prawns over the limit,” he said.

“People who suspect illegal fishing are urged to report it to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116.

“We can all make a difference – ensure you know the limits by learning the recreational fishing rules and keeping a copy handy at all times when fishing.”

For more information on Queensland’s recreational fishing rules or to get a copy of the Queensland Recreational Boating and Fishing Guide go to www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Media: Jo Anglesey, 3087 8601

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Re: Don't come the raw prawn, stick to the limit

Sounds great but having worked with VMR Victoria point and the Brisbane Water Police for some ten (10) years I can assure that there are holes a mile wide in your net to catch offenders!

Firstly, ringing the Fishing Hotline to report a suspected illegal operation is next to useless as there are rarely any Fisheries Boats on the Water due budgetary cutbacks and if you mention that, for an example, the offence is taking place at a popular prawning spot near the Powerlines in Lower Moreton Bay, NOTHING will happen because this illegal poaching involves some fifteen to twenty Vietnamese Prawners who huddle together in their fleet of tinnies, armed with machetes, boathooks, clubs and God help any White Guy who goes near them!

Ring the Water Police on the same issue and you will get no help whatsoever! Ain't nobody going to take on these guys!

Likewise on the Logan River where the Yellow Raincoats (Asians) reign supreme and rape the prawn population as they do at the Compass Adjustment Buoy on Northern parts of the Bay.

I have personally - as the Commodore of VMR Victoria point - seen these guys at work and reporting them is a waste of everybody's time!

Much easier to knock of Dad and the Kids on a nice dry boat ramp where they Inspectors are dry, safe and protected!

The whole thing is unfortunately a screaming joke! Ask any serious recreational fisherman who has been around for awhile and he will confirm the above. But then of course the Government would have to listen to the Grass Roots level of fisherman and that is just not done, much better to ask the "Advisors and Experts" who probably can't even spell fish!

Bloody disgusting the whole Government attitude to fishing right across the state of Queensland!

sad but true. considering how well these people throw a cast net it is amazing to see that they are still hanging around casting long after the average castnetting joe has gone home with his bucket. $440 is little discouragement as that is probably less than they receive for their "days work" on the prawns. when i was trawling moreton bay 25 years ago it was common knowledge amongst trawler operators that some asian operators were off loading to a regularly visiting trailer boat that obviously was not off loading their catch at the fish board. we used to see it going from trawler to trawler quite often. unfortunately they come from a country that has depleted its wild resources severely and when they come here they think all their christmases have come at once. i mean no offence to those doing the right thing and whilst i do not consider myself to be racist i cannot ignore facts either.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Come on guys don't let the truth get I the way of a government attempt at supposedly keeping us informed ,if they know so much about what's going on why don't they just go out and I force the laws but of course that will never happen ....pffffffft thanks Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Fisheries Qld:

Please check out the supposedly licenced professional netter at Woodgate Beach - very strange looking net being used to basically "ring-net" whole schools of prawns from his dory just out the front near the artificial reef where the banana prawns are running this week!

Let us know the result please.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I've seen the taxi boat making trips out to the little cluster of tinnies in that area. had thought of upsetting the apple cart but sounds like its just as will I didn't.

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Well MrPinkPanther well said. You hit the nail, right on the Old Noggen. It is a dead set joke. Good to see somebody express, the way it really is. MMMM say no more. Cheers Manta Man

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Oh and i forgot, what about the Netters up in the Gladstone Area, after the last couple of Floods. 30 Cents a KG for Barra MMM great being a Cat. What a Joke.