Thread: I'm looking to build a new rod, but don't I don't know where to start

I'm looking to build a new rod, but don't I don't know where to start

Hi All,
    I'd like to build a new rod or two. I've built a couple of spin rods in the past that I very much enjoyed, and would like to build something new.
    Like a lot of you, I already have an excessive amount of rods (according to the better half). I just don't need another Snapper soft plastic rod.
    What does stand out to me, however, is that I have a 'Charter Special' reel and a TLD20, both on the cheap and nasty (and 'free') Shimano rods they came with.
    Logically then, I should build rods for these reels, right?
    Problem is, I know nothing about the blanks I'm looking for.
    The rod for the 'Charter Special' would be used primarily for bottom bashing. Probably 6' long and 30lb? Not sure about what sort of taper?
    The rod for the TLD20, I would love to use it for both trolling (Spanish Mack)... and bottom bashing. So, from the guy that has 8 different rods for soft plastic fishing for Snapper, is there a blank that would be suitable for both trolling and bottom bashing?
    I wouldn't mind trying a spiral wrap on the trolling rod too.

Cheers

Re: I'm looking to build a new rod, but don't I don't know where to start

I reckon you have the length about right. If you are looking to use braid I would go for something with a medium taper that shuts off at the foregrip, especially the one for the charter special. You could go a little faster on the TLD and if you want to use mono for that definitely look at a fast taper. What's your budget? You can get reasonable blanks for less than $50 US but can also get something really sweet for around the $120 to $150 mark.

Sorry, that's kinda key info, right?
    Budget? I'd like to keep the charter special rod to $150-200 (blank, grips, seat, guides), and somewhere in the $200-300 range for the TLD20 rod. Probably roll with similar components between the two rods, with the difference in budget made up with the blank. I guess I should get on mudhole and see what the guides/grips/seat will cost, eh?

Yep that's a great place to start. If you go with a Fuji graphite real seat and Fuji alconite guides, the BMNAG ones you'll get good value out of those and can spend the money on the blank.
    Plenty of options there to at least narrow down to a top 5!!