Thread: Spearfishing in South East QLD

Spearfishing in South East QLD

Hey all. I love Spearfishing and I have done heaps when I lived in Western Australia. But now here on the Gold Coast in QLD there is no spearfishing in the Seaway or Broadwater. Where can you spearfish in South East QLD that is accesible without a boat. I guess some of the points like Burleigh could be ok but i guess it would have to be an incredible day weather wise. Any help would be much appreciated, I would love to find a few spots and get back into it.

Stone.

Re: Spearfishing in South East QLD

Mate you can spear the seaway from around the ends and around the outside. There is quality fish there too. On both south and north wall only good just before the top of the tide and some of the run out. Watch the boat traffic If you take on the north wall. Tweed river goes ok and kings cliff. There is a good club down there top bunch of lads head along to a club meet and you'll be set.

double island point north of noosa is great, depends if you want to travel so far tho..

Tweed river between the bridge and caravan park

Quote Originally Posted by mhilton View Post
    double island point north of noosa is great, depends if you want to travel so far tho..
    Is the access here land based or do you need a boat. What sort of substrate do you fish ie.reef, rock, sand

Quote Originally Posted by MrNanks View Post
    Tweed river between the bridge and caravan park
    So is this like a broadwater type waterway. What sort of fish species do you get and what is the substrate like ie reef, rock, sand

The Tweed is sand and rock. Flathead and bream would be the most likely fins encountered.

Good luck

kingscliff on the south rock wall of the sea way, then swim out 60 meters and ul be on cudgen reef, its all coffie rock, some real good fish have been speared off there, the boys in Brisbane adreno spearfishing supplies go there a bit, when weather is good
    Screaming drag is my drug

Hey conco
    is kingscliff from the rocks suitable for beginners. My older boys are keen to have a spear, is this area pretty straight forward. Current etc not a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
    Hey conco
    is kingscliff from the rocks suitable for beginners. My older boys are keen to have a spear, is this area pretty straight forward. Current etc not a problem?
    not realy mate but if u go south another 10mins you have Cabarita headland, a lot of beginners snorkel around the headland with hand spears and always come back with fish.

checkout the headland on the map, make sure u jump in south side of headland, 1hr before high tide, this weekend no swell, it would be perfect for them mate.
    https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=ca...d=0CMIBELYDMA4
    Screaming drag is my drug