Thread: Fisheries bust black-market squid operator

Fisheries bust black-market squid operator

Good work by Victorian Fisheries Officers
    http://m.dpi.vic.gov.au/about-us/new...et_design_name

Re: Fisheries bust black-market squid operator

A Rosebud West man has been arrested for exceeding the catch limit for squid and selling it to a retail outlet.

A 37-year-old Rosebud West man is facing a series of charges for exceeding the daily catch limit for squid and selling it to a local retail outlet.

The man was arrested at Dromana last week following a four month investigation in which Fisheries Officers allegedly detected him exceeding the daily catch limit for squid on a number of occasions near Sorrento.

Fisheries Officers also observed the man on several occasions concealing the squid in his jacket and selling his catch to the local retail outlet.

The man allegedly sold 7.6kg of squid and 5.8kg of flathead to the retail outlet. A number of the flathead were under the minimum legal size.

The man is to be charged on summons with a range of offences, including exceeding the daily bag limit, taking and possessing undersize fish, hindering or obstructing an Authorised Officer and selling his catch to a retail outlet without a commercial licence to do so.

The operator of the retail outlet is also facing charges in relation to purchasing the squid and fish.

Following the man's arrest, his vessel, fish, fishing equipment and a sum of cash were seized.

A search of his home also revealed a further 26.4kg of frozen squid in a chest freezer.
    Recreational anglers caught selling their fish face fines of up to $14000 and/or six months imprisonment, forfeiture of equipment, boats and vehicles used in the offence and losing fishing privileges for a substantial period of time.

The daily catch limit for squid in Victoria is 10 per person. It is also an offence to attempt to hinder Fisheries Officers in the course of their duties by concealing any fish.
    A commercial premises caught purchasing fish taken by a recreational angler can also face fines of up to $28,000 and/or 12 months imprisonment. They also face substantial penalties under food safety legislation.

Fisheries Victoria Acting Director of Education and Enforcement Ian Parks said Victoria's fisheries regulations governing the take of squid were in place to safeguard the fishery and those who ignored the law were jeopardizing the fishery's sustainability.

"Recreational anglers who illegally sell their catch to retail outlets are also threatening the livelihood of legitimate commercial fishers and creating food safety risks," Mr Parks said.

Anyone who sees or suspects illegal fishing is urged to call the 24-hour fisheries offence reporting line 13 FISH (13 3474).

Media contact: Paul Sellars 0407 292 287

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Mike,

It would be good to re-visit this thread when the ' perp ' has had his day in court.

With the evidence, I see no reason not to hit him with the maximum penalty available.

cheers
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Good to see the authorities actually getting him red handed, these type of guys should have there faces shown in shame. Throw the book at him I say as he has no respect for neither the environment nor those who do things by the law. Same for the retail outlet who bought the squid as who want to purchase there seafood from scum like that.

take a few squid to buy a nice boat like that. good work dpi.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

There's a fair bit more to it that will come out in court but the guy is in a lot of trouble. Lot of work was put in to catch him red handed you would have to say.

a 4 month investigation is no light undertaking. i love these feel good stories. make me all warm and fuzzy like.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Mike,

It would be good to re-visit this thread when the ' perp ' has had his day in court.

With the evidence, I see no reason not to hit him with the maximum penalty available.

cheers
    It certainly would but does anybody ever get the maximum penalty?
    I also recon the shop owner deserves to get hit hard too.
    ~~~><))))*>

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    a 4 month investigation is no light undertaking. i love these feel good stories. make me all warm and fuzzy like.
    More likely to be that whisky.

So where do you get those special Squid Jackets from JJ? A stormy lifejacket with no bladder???
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    So where do you get those special Squid Jackets from JJ? A stormy lifejacket with no bladder???
    You got me there BH.. Have those King Island cows you've been eating into the island crop?

"Fisheries Officers also observed the man on several occasions concealing the squid in his jacket and selling his catch to the local retail outlet."
    Jim

Excellent work by Fisheries Victoria, hope they nail him to the wall. Would like to think our QLD Fisheries had the resources to mount such an operation if needed.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    "Fisheries Officers also observed the man on several occasions concealing the squid in his jacket and selling his catch to the local retail outlet."
    Well that would go with the guy who was caught with ab's concealed in his underpants.

In OUR opinion....ANY win by the relative authorities is to be Commended, Applauded & Encouraged

Cheers, Ray & Kerri.