Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you eat eel?

Can you eat eel?

Just wondering if you can eat long finned australian freshwater eel and how they taste.
    I have heard alot about them having poison in their blood and i would not want to take a risk with this if their is one that could be taken.

Re: Can you eat eel?

Well lots of them used to be collected by professional eel catchers for the food market, so doubt they are poisonous!

Have heard the trick is to smoke eels, if you like smoked food they are supposed to be delicious.

They are exported mostly so I would presume that they would be ok to eat although I suspect it would depend on whether they were caught in a free flowing river or a mine sludge pond.

We caught them years ago, the small ones weren't to bad but the bigger ones have a strong flavour that's why the smoke most of them

When I was young we use to eat them all the time,clean them by hammering a nail into an upright post stick the jaw through the nail cut around the head and remove skin by pulling it down with a pair of pliers. Soak them in milk overnight and cook.

I lived in NZ for 12 months. While I never fished for eels, too busy catching Trout, Kingfish, Kahawai and Snapper, I ate eel many times at restaurants and cafes, where its a regular table fish. It's a little boney, but great flavour especially when smoked.

I tried my first Eel at Cob & Co, Taupo. Yum.

I'm born in NZ , we use to catch & eat them out of the creek behind our house , my mum use to smoke them & pickle them for sandwiches . Taste great !

Quote Originally Posted by Makita View Post
    I'm born in NZ , we use to catch & eat them out of the creek behind our house , my mum use to smoke them & pickle them for sandwiches . Taste great !
    I know a bloke from NZ, his girlfriend says they taste baaaaaaaad.......

I was probably about 13-14 at the time, lived in Templestowe Vic, just a short ride to the Yarra river where we used to catch eels and red fin if you were lucky. We always took an old fry pan with us, got a fire going and what ever we caught was thrown in the pan. We used to get the odd eel, cut the skin around the back of the head then skin im, not easy Jan, then throw it in the pan for 15 mins and from memory they tasted ok.
    Have a friend in Kilcoy that catches and jellies them. (ugh).

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post
    Case closed then, Spiderpig's mate's GF has the answer. Those of us that have actually eaten Eel are obviously mad!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post
    I suppose she should stick to eating grass then.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    I suppose she should stick to eating grass then.
    I'm so dumb sometimes, I missed that Baaaahhh. Cheers.

Vietnamese use a lot of eel in their fish cooking recipes. I quite like them as a soup or smoked or done with a sweet and sour sauce.
    Jack.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. I will give it a go tomorrow and see how they go. Suppose they would be mostly fillet.
    Any ideas oh how to fillet them?

Have heard the trick is to smoke eels, if you like smoked food they are supposed to be delicious

I would agree with that , but I find that they are very difficult to light.
    David