Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brisbane man nets big fine

Brisbane man nets big fine

Queensland Government
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

14 May 2013
    Brisbane man nets big fine

A Brisbane man has been convicted and fined $26,850 for multiple fisheries and marine offences.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol District Manager Brett Depper said the matter was heard in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on 8 May, where the recreational fisher was fined for three separate complaints that occurred between March and April 2012.

The fisher was found guilty of:
    o possession of 53 undersized mud crabs
    o possession of 34 female mud crabs
    o possession of 3 mud crabs in excess of bag limit
    o using 14 crab pots in excess of the number permitted
    o using 18 unmarked crab pots
    o unlicensed operation of a vessel
    o displaying incorrect registration symbols
    o failing to ensure the vessel displayed navigation lights.

Mr Depper said the conviction and fine should serve as a warning to fishers to stick to the rules.

“While the vast majority of fishers keep to the rules, there is a small and persistent minority who do not,” he said.

“These people need to realise that their catch can and will be checked at any time of the day or night.

“Our enforcement actions in this case highlight the abilities of the Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol in monitoring our important fishery resources. I hope this penalty will serve as a future deterrent.

“Compliance agencies such as QBFP, Water Police and Maritime Safety Queensland often work together to ensure effective monitoring of all areas.

“We recently increased the number of patrols across the state to combat the rising reports of illegal crabbing activities.

“Those doing the wrong thing will be caught and will pay the price.”

Mr Depper said fishers are reminded to be aware of Queensland’s size and possession limits before going crabbing.

“In Queensland, the minimum size requirement of mud crabs is 15cm measuring across the widest part of the crab’s carapace. The legal bag limit is 10 crabs per person,” he said.

“Fishers are also reminded that female mud crabs are a protected species in Queensland and cannot be taken from the water at any time, and that fishers can only use a maximum of 4 crab pots at any one time.”

QBFP rely on the support of the public to help protect fishing resources for future generations.

People who suspect illegal crabbing are urged to report it to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116.

For more information on fishing rules in Queensland, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Media: Jo Anglesey, 3087 8601

Re: Brisbane man nets big fine

great news. fines starting to match the crimes.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

took the words out of my mouth dave
    awesome news congrats to fisheries
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Clearly the bloke is a complete tool with no respect for any rules or laws...

Glad they threw the book at him!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    took the words out of my mouth dave
    awesome news congrats to fisheries
    So Nice I'll say it twice, I agree boys. Hopefully the idiots wake up to themselves. Not holding my breath though. A positive note for the fisheries.

Good work, we all know there are many more crooks out there doing the wrong thing, lets hope this makes them change their ways, or that get caught and face this kind of penalty.

Geez a judge that actually makes the penalty fit the crime for once - put that judge in charge of penalties!

He "shoulda" been allowed to keep 2 Jennies >17cms .....IMO

I think the fine is ok, but no mention of taking his boat and car and equipment was made........the fine plus losing that would be suitable, not just the fine.
    Jack.

If he had 53 undersize crabs, why only charged with having 3 over possession limit, do they only count legal crabs when calculating number in possession?

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I think the fine is ok, but no mention of taking his boat and car and equipment was made........the fine plus losing that would be suitable, not just the fine.
    Chances are that the fine INCLUDED the perpertrators' cheap lil outfit....who knows

Ray & Kerri.

Blog Entries

Suffer in ya jocks!!!!!

Good to see a decent message getting out there. Hope the new spreads far and wide

Yippy skippy fisheries your shout at the pub good job boys

Lets hope that some of that $26,850 can be spent on putting a Patrol or 2 through the Fitzroy Delta / Port Alma area.

I lost 3 pots on Mothers Day, all three were within site of a large moored Pro-fishers Mothership. I'm not saying they did it, but, it made me think a little.

I also ventured up a little blind creek not far away and found not 1 but 2 gill nets. The 1st was discarded and up in the mangroves wrecked, the 2nd, much further up near a big shallow bay and set right across the drain to get everything coming out of the bay as the tide dropped.

Should name and shame them!!!!