Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground up camper trailer build

Ground up camper trailer build

After years with tents and tarps we decided it was time to get ourselves a camper. Over the hill(not) and out with the kids(soon). Everything all packed and ready to go. Add grog,food and clothes in that order and bugger off.

Something not too large and frankly not too"bright and shiney". The places we camp and hope to camp,"bright and shiney" will not be "bright and shiney" for long.
    18 months of looking thru websites,walking thru shows and fending off yard salesmen,not quite what I'm looking for, and some really are crap, I've taken on a new project.

Warning. This build will include NO chequerplate.

To start with, I have the work trailer.
    First thought was to build a slide out with a tent top. But, there is a stink to wet grass that won't come out.
    No way was the wife sleeping above that. So that was canned.

Picked up a few bits and pieces.
    Alko 7 leaf for $40

And a boaties market special.

243KG of steel.
    All I need now is an allen key, or a magic wand.

Weekend before last I welded up the frame and set out the drawbar.

Borrowed this bit of gear from a mate.
    He's FIFO and won't need it for a while.
    No flying sparks and a lot less noise.
    Kind of mesmerizing.

Last weekend and this week has the drawbar and center bar, spring mounts welded on and the underside painted. Picked up the axle from Active Fab yesterday.
    Will get some picks of those tomorrow.

More to come.

Rod
    My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

Re: Ground up camper trailer build

My best mate is doing the same thing. He spent last weekend priming ready to spray this weekend. He has done a really good job, electric brakes etc. He is looking at getting the canvas from a company in Maryborugh. About 7 yrs ago the canvas place at clontarf made up a canvas top for our trailer and did a great job. Sold that and have a Jayco swan now. Enjoy building your trailer!!

Nice Rod. Look forward to your progress reports.

That first pic got me, I thought you were giving the trailer a tropical feel with the palms !.I had one of those bandsaws,great bit of gear and quiet, blades are cheap as well. Good luck with the build. If you live near Bundy, I can recommend the canvas guy in Lester street opposite the trailer shop, I used him before and did a good job at a fair price , can't think of his name though.

Rod, good luck with the build. Make sure you have enough drawbar length. Have you made allowances to open the back door of the 4wd and have the door not foul up on the toolbox and/or stone guard?

Cheers, BF.

Bf, it shouldn't be a problem. I've always had traybacks.

Steve, I'm still trying to figure out how strong a boat rack I'd need to fit the old Haines on.
    And how to load and unload. Might have to instal a crane.

Got a bit done this morning before this bloody rain arrived.
    And stripped one of the bolts in a spring back. Off to the trailer shop.

45 square axle with electric brakes all ready to go.

Rod

My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

A week of showers and more showers and geez it got cool yesterday.
    I did get a bit done.
    Started to weld up the side frames this afternoon. 3 out of 4 fillet welds are great, but its out with the grinder for the other 1.
    Chookshit.

Rod

Looking good Rod.

Most of the frame is done.
    New tyres and rims go on the Triton on wednesday so this mechano set should look like a trailer by thursday.
    Next up is the sheeting.
    Rod

Very solid mate

This arvo's effort was running the wiring for the lights and the 6 B&S for the batteries.
    This was 1 of the reasons for the full length center bar.

From this end ,

then come out here,

and end up going around like this in the non split tube leftover 19mm water pipe.

Rod

Have wheels will travel. Eventually.

Bloody showers have been annoying.

Rod

Looking good Rod. Need some warmer weather to get you back out working again as obviously you have too much time on your hands.

Looking good mate plenty of thought gone into it I see

Over three months since last update. Any progress mowerman?