Thread: The art of Metallic Tiger wraps

The art of Metallic Tiger wraps

G'day Guys,

Things have been quiet on the board for a while now so I decided to try a little experimenting with metallic tiger wraps and a whole new way of burnishing with the fingernail of your thumb and forefinger. I'm not going into the fingernail process just at the moment because I want to talk about it at the SEARBS (South East Australian Rod Builders) meeting in August but I've attached a few of the results I've been getting every time I do one - No Failures! Guaranteed! Each wrap has a base of 3 threads, 1 thread is a metallic of your choice. The top wrap is the colour of your choice with 2 discard threads. The trick is the burnishing and I never realized how simple it is without using a burnish tool at all - just a fingernail.

Regards
    Outback
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: The art of Metallic Tiger wraps

Some Great work there Mark
    Whish I could get mine to pop as much as yours ...
    That's why I have never really gone on with em .....as Mine haven't poped as much as would lie

Outstanding Mark, I to have been mucking around with a few tigers latley and I am getting to like some of the results. The metallic is the key to it all, I have just finished one with 2 metallics and 2 normal threads under and then 4 over with 3 sacs. this seems to give the tigers an outlinded appearence but I guess it all comes down to how the bottom threads are layed out eg: normal metallic normal metallic or normal normal metalic metallic.
    Okay thats it for me with tigers so back to weaving lol

Cheers
    Pedro

Quote Originally Posted by Willo View Post
    Some Great work there Mark
    Whish I could get mine to pop as much as yours ...
    That's why I have never really gone on with em .....as Mine haven't poped as much as would lie
    Willo, dont give up mate tigers are really easy to pop and so if you are having drama you only live down the road from me and you would be welcome to come up and we can muck around with a few.

Cheers
    Pedro

Outstanding work Mark.
    Looking forward to a tutorial in the future. It'd make a good journal article!
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

very nice..

Outstanding Mark .

Thanks everyone. Photos just don't do these justice. They have to be seen in the sunlight for the real effect to show.
    Pete you really have me thinking now on multiple metallic threads. Should be interesting.

Nice work there Mark.
    I've been experimenting as well. I've tried using a Metallic thread with ProWrap Tiger thread. You get a interesting effect however the stripes through the Tiger Thread breaks up the Holo effect. Looks good though.

I little trick I use often is Ghost pearl, it makes metallics pop. Use a tiny bit in the epoxy the apply. Take it out in the sun and see what happens.

Stuart

Thanks for the tip Stuart. I have a few more to post once I get the last coat of epoxy on today. Just playing around with different colour combinations and my fingernail burnishing. The next few I'll post are simply outstanding for movement and bulls eye formations, something I was having trouble achieving until now. This technique is just so simple it takes all the guess work out and you can be assured that it will work every time. I much prefer these results over the stripey tigers that to me personally, don't appear to have been burnished enough. Just my preference - not looking for an argument.

Lovely work, the rods some of the guys do on this forum are superb, think id be to scared to get it dirty.