Thread: Advice needed on rewiring.

Exclamation Advice needed on rewiring.

I am getting a new sounder and radio and want to rewire the power to the electronics. At the moment it is all hard wired with in line fuses. There is not even a battery switch to cut power when not in use.
    The mind boggles at how I am going to rewire without messing it up big time. I didn't realise until this morning that it had no bus bar as all I was going to do was just replace everything one wire at a time and just add a battery switch.
    The wire that is there at the moment is quite thin and appears to be plain copper. I was thinking that I would run at least 8 B&S tinned for the replacement.
    I will be running a Icom 412 radio, Furuno 627, Hummingbird Matrix 12 combo, bilge pump, lights and stereo. The only real change from what I have now is that I am replacing the GMC 300 with the Icom and adding the Furuno.
    What is going to be the easiest way to rewire please.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Re: Advice needed on rewiring.

Mate, run 2 6 b&s wires from battery isolator through to a bus bar and fuse box at the front.

Can't go wrong with that, and allows easy requiring for adding and removing components in the future.

Check out the striper on Saturday and you will see what I mean mate

Re: Advice needed on rewiring.

Simplified version of what i did:

batteries > 2 B&S > blue sea dual circuit battery switch > 2 B&S > blue sea 187 series 60 amp breaker on panel with battery switch > 6 B&S > blue sea 12 blade fuse block (pos & neg) > to dash switches or hard wired as desired.

Run all negs back to blue sea 12 blade fuse block.

At the rear of the boat I also mounted a 150A blue sea bus bar to tie the negs of batteries, rear bilge pump, acr, outboard and 6 B&S neg that runs up to blue sea 12 blade fuse block.