Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100's of kg's of green prawns dumped on boat ramp! Anyone know anything?

100's of kg's of green prawns dumped on boat ramp! Anyone know anything?

Went down my local river this afternoon for a run, Caboolture river Uhlman Rd boat ramp.
    Only to find a huge amount of prawns dumped carelessly on the boat ramp. Not only was it dangerous due to people possibly slipping over and hurting themselves but the prawn spikes also stabbing people and little kids in the feet when they were trying to retrieve there boat. As you can see these prawns were definitely caught commercially, Or if not commercially then illegally. They were not very old as they hadn't began to stink.
    I was pretty disgusted to say the least! As you can see I had to put my trailer and my car wheels into the mass of prawns just to launch/retrieve my boat. Im sure it has to be illegal to dump that sort of quantity like that. I thought commercial boats had to dump by catch out at sea so far from land?

On a positive note if anyone is looking for burley ingredients get down there before the tide comes in.

But does anyone know anything about this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 100's of kg's of green prawns dumped on boat ramp! Anyone know anything?

Hmmm ..... Netmaker spilled a bit out the top of his bucket???
    Jim

Fisheries contacted? Were they washed up there or dumped there? May be a mass kill for some other reason? Any dead fish around too? Water quality / toxins etc? Bloody disgusting waste if was deliberately dumped!

Deffinately dumped there. Not a natural cause must of been only dumped there early this morning as the tides haven't washed them away. Boat ramp is not far from river mouth. My guess is they were dumped around 5am this morning on the low tide as they are at the bottom of the boat ramp

that's insane. could have kept 50 chinese restaurants in prawn for months. what a waste.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

The step daughter lives over Bribie way and was saying on face book that Savaiges sea foods were selling bay prawns for $3.50 kg or 2 kg for $6. Might be something in it.

Any CCTV at that ramp?

nope no cctv at that ramp its probably the worst ramp on the north side they all looked like bay prawns few squid etc mixed in with them. was speaking to a couple of netters at the ramp as I was leaving and they said that when the bigger prawns are around in numbers its not worth there time to sell the small ones? Its such a waste But it sucks that whoever dumped them, dumped them on the boat ramp? Not off the side which they could of easily done but straight on the 2 lanes of the boat ramp! Idiots

What a big waste of fresh prawns.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

What a waste, if I'd known about this earlier I would have been over there quicker than flash gordon, would have been good as bait....I hope those idiots get sprung big time

Burleygu Were they banana , greasies or school prawn?

Bondy99

That's horrific - I'd love to see the culprit caught and hit with a gigantic fine.

As stated above - that's nothing but a complete waste. I hope the tide collects most of it (mightbe a few fat bream kick'n around the boat ramp in the next couple of months!)

I wouldn't fish there... How could you tempt a fish to eat anything when its already bulging with prawns it had for breaky, lunch and dinner?

Now when the prawns start rotting if there is enough left over there might be a massive amonia or nitrate (can't remember which) spike in the water that the fish will try avoid. If someone is responsible it deserves a hanging at the very least, but not from the neck......

Scalem

that would be the work of pro's.....there's very little market for bay prawns now and very limited bait market as well.
    they are catching huge amounts of bay prawns in the bay now and no markets to take them so they get shot straight back over the side of the boat and in this case they were taken hoping to be sold some where ...but not...and dumped.
    what a shame
    P

I would be baggin them up for bait.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    I would be baggin them up for bait.

Dan
    Wouldn't that be tragic, scoop up more than a bucket full and get done by fisheries... It's a crazy world we live in!

Scalem