Thread: Toolbox Help

Toolbox Help

Hi just bought a new toolbox and I'm after the best way to fit it to my box trailer.Can i use self tapping screws in the drawbar.

Re: Toolbox Help

For strength, why not use some galvanised ubolts with some silicone to keep the water out. Depending on the strength of your toolbox, maybe a backing plate as well, or xos washers.
    Jim

Avoid self tapping or tek screws for attachment to your drawbar. It will not take long for the screws to shear off or work loose.
    As Boatie suggests.....U-bolts is the best for two reasons, much more substantial bolting arrangement and you do not damage the drawbar drilling holes into it.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Avoid self tapping or tek screws for attachment to your drawbar. It will not take long for the screws to shear off or work loose.
    As Boatie suggests.....U-bolts is the best for two reasons, much more substantial bolting arrangement and you do not damage the drawbar drilling holes into it.
    Wise advice, run u bolts upside down so nuts are inside box to prevent rust and theft.
    Used a race trailer once had a box bolted through Drawbars Half way to WA it snapped with 100K worth of race bikes in it, Leaving the servo Driveway ! Dont drill drawbar!

Cheers fellas thanks for your help off to get some U-bolts

Our work trailers and utes have tool boxes tek screwed to them. A decent self driller like a ramset pan head won't let go. We use little rubber feet under ours.
    nil carborundum illegitimi