Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel useage when towing

Fuel useage when towing

A question for those that tow a 6m glass boat or similar weight ally on your fuel useage per 100ks towing with a 3lt Turbo diesel.I am doing the sums on towing a boat I am looking at buying back to the Goldie from Townsville.Do I tow it or get it trucked down ?

Re: Fuel useage when towing

Giffo I have towed a 5.5m Glass boat to Melbourne and back behind a 2012, 3l dmax everything folded down I got 500km/60L average.
    Just towed 6m to 1770, 1000km round trip 3Tonne Boat & trailer and got 400km/60L average,Screens in & covers on.
    Sitting on speed limits both trips
    Dick

I tow a 2.6T glass boat (edencraft 600 offshore) with a 2.5 TD Navarra and get 375klm from 55Litres
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Get a cheap flight to townsvile and hire a 4by up their to tow back. Saves the extra Kms on your car. Look at how cheap flights are and hiring 4by, than crunch your numbers from that..

Hehehe heres one.
    660 noosacat 210 km per 60ltr.
    But only paying the price of gas.

Tow 6m glass tor and clears up with 3lt Colorado ave 14-16 lt/100k

Fully laden CruiseCraft Outsider 625 behind a Touareg 3 litre turbo diesel with six speed auto trans, Brisbane to 1770 run averages around 15 litres per 100km compared with around 10 litres per 100km without boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giffo65 View Post
    A question for those that tow a 6m glass boat or similar weight ally on your fuel useage per 100ks towing with a 3lt Turbo diesel.I am doing the sums on towing a boat I am looking at buying back to the Goldie from Townsville.Do I tow it or get it trucked down ?

Looks like the average usage these days for most modern 4x4 is 6.5km/litre towing a 2.5-3T boat, with that sort of weight is doesn't really matter removing clears.
    Townsville to Bris I would take them down, even just for the fact of road grime & bugs.
    Dick
    Makes your fuel cost for Trip return leg worst case @ 200l about $300 Cheap peice of mind the boat will be in one peice

This may upset a few on here, but from first hand experience I would not consider towing that sort of weight with a 3.0 turbo diesel, unless it had an auto transmission.
    I have tried towing a 4.4m tinny, very heavy 3 inch channel steel trailer, with a 3.0 TD Navara, when you get to a steep boatramp you have to abuse the clutch to get the show rolling. There is a thread on here where a bloke driving a Colorada, has burnt his clutch out after 15 000kms, and not covered under warranty. Also towed a scissor lift on a trailer, with a 3.0l Hilux, approx 2 t, on a small hill could not get it rolling and had to select low range. I can not understand how these 4cyl diesels are rataed to tow so much, fine on level ground but throw in a small slope and it's another story. I think the manufacturers just try to put a towing figure greater than the next manufacturer, tricking buyers into thinking their vehicle is more capable than it really is? These things have no grunt before the turbo spools up, from my experience, and the manufacturers back me up here by not offering a warranty on the clutch.
    By comparison my 4.2 6cyl diesel can drag a much heavier boat up the same ramp which the Navara struggled, with less than 1000rpm onboard no clutch fanning required. Try that in a 3.0l diesel in high range and see how you go. I see many people towing with these small diesels and wonder do they never stop on a hill or have no mechanical sympathy or are they running an auto transmission?

To answer the initial question - 3.0l Navara approx 1.5t boat and trailer - 14 litres/ 100km, avreage over 5000km trip.

Thanks for the replies. My Pajero is a 3.2lt diesel auto, my old Patrol used to get put into low range at the ramp. I am waiting on some quotes from transport companies, and I got to take into account my time up and back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 72qtrex View Post
    This may upset a few on here, but from first hand experience I would not consider towing that sort of weight with a 3.0 turbo diesel, unless it had an auto transmission.
    I have tried towing a 4.4m tinny, very heavy 3 inch channel steel trailer, with a 3.0 TD Navara, when you get to a steep boatramp you have to abuse the clutch to get the show rolling. There is a thread on here where a bloke driving a Colorada, has burnt his clutch out after 15 000kms, and not covered under warranty. Also towed a scissor lift on a trailer, with a 3.0l Hilux, approx 2 t, on a small hill could not get it rolling and had to select low range. I can not understand how these 4cyl diesels are rataed to tow so much, fine on level ground but throw in a small slope and it's another story. I think the manufacturers just try to put a towing figure greater than the next manufacturer, tricking buyers into thinking their vehicle is more capable than it really is? These things have no grunt before the turbo spools up, from my experience, and the manufacturers back me up here by not offering a warranty on the clutch.
    By comparison my 4.2 6cyl diesel can drag a much heavier boat up the same ramp which the Navara struggled, with less than 1000rpm onboard no clutch fanning required. Try that in a 3.0l diesel in high range and see how you go. I see many people towing with these small diesels and wonder do they never stop on a hill or have no mechanical sympathy or are they running an auto transmission?

To answer the initial question - 3.0l Navara approx 1.5t boat and trailer - 14 litres/ 100km, avreage over 5000km trip.
    I didn't intend to answer your post but why offer advice to something you obviously know nothing about !
    Do you know your nissan has low range ?
    Have you thought about using that before you abuse your clutch ?
    How many boat ramps would he need to go up between Townsville and brisbane on the Bruce hwy ?
    Rant over !

Quote Originally Posted by Dicktracey View Post
    How many boat ramps would he need to go up between Townsville and brisbane on the Bruce hwy ?
    Rant over !

If it was me buying a new boat......................LOTS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dicktracey View Post
    I didn't intend to answer your post but why offer advice to something you obviously know nothing about !
    Do you know your nissan has low range ?
    Have you thought about using that before you abuse your clutch ?
    Rant over !
    Well I would dare to suggest that occasionally he is going to put his boat into the water? And may I be so bold as to suggest that at some stage he is going to have to stop on a hill?
    Yes I am aware that most Navaras have low range, I would bet that no car salesman is going to tell you you need to engage low range to drag a small tinny up a boatramp? Perhaps the salesmen in your area come forward with that sort of critical information.
    After towing with many different types of vehicles I am entitled to an opinion, which may differ from yours.

My boat is around the 2700kg mark most of the time (heavier on the trips north) and I have a 2011 TD navara...never had to select low range yet other than a boat ramp.

The clutch in the 2011 model is way different to the 2009 model
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

You can have any opinion you want champ the question was fuel usage on Bruce hwy Goldie to Townsville !
    So be careful up there on your soap box.