Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel useage when towing

Re: Fuel useage when towing

You might want to take into account things like wear and tear on your car,towing a big heavy boat all that way, the chance of wheel bearings on the trailer failing, time off work, fuel, accommodation, food and best of all getting the transport company to cover the risk (insurance)
    Having it delivered in the same condition it was paid has its benefits that's for sure.
    Get it trucked mate.
    Last edited by nathank; 03-05-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    I average about 16lt/100km of diesel towing a 26ft 3.5t with a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7lt diesel 5sp Auto, went to Yeppoon from Caboolture last year and most hills were at 90-95-100km in 3rd or 4th without having the pedal to the floor, just cruised up casually, only one very steep hill slowed me down to 80km, but again I wasn't flooring it. So a bigger and more modern 3lt diesel should have no drama with a lighter and smaller boat. At the ramp I always put it in to low range and hardly feel the weight, pulls it up the ramp like there isn't anything on the back.
    This is pretty amazing economy for such a big rig.. I tow my boat same weight 3.5t with a straight 6 105 series petrol cruiser. I'm getting about 35L per 100km. I could be lighter on the pedal but I like to cruise at 100kph. Doesn't really worry me cos I don't often tow it far and when I do the mates always chip in..

I towed my 650 sea legend (don't know weight) to Airlie last year with all the gear required for a family holiday plus the tender and some building tools I needed. Towed at speed limit for 18L /100. Tow vehicle 4.2 TD patrol with 3 inch exhaust and tuned fuel pump running 33" tyres. Oh and use low range at the ramp, just walks out

ford ranger/ bt50 3lt diesel manual 6.5 mtr trophy trips to 1770 avg fuel consum 15 ltrs / per 100 ks , makes no difference with 300 ltrs on board or not. by the way have replaced the flywheel with a solid type and makes a hell of a difference.
    Last edited by MEGA'bite; 08-05-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by simonpp82 View Post
    This is pretty amazing economy for such a big rig.. I tow my boat same weight 3.5t with a straight 6 105 series petrol cruiser. I'm getting about 35L per 100km. I could be lighter on the pedal but I like to cruise at 100kph. Doesn't really worry me cos I don't often tow it far and when I do the mates always chip in..
    For towing, you can't beat a turbo diesel powered vehicle, very good economy and loads of grunt, I just wished that my boat had one as well!

Cheers

Ed.

I ended up getting it trucked down,I used North Queensland boat haulage, they charged $990.00 delivered to Yatala. At that price it was a no brainer for me.It should be here tomorrow morning,can't wait,I have wanted a bigger boat for ages.

It is a Cruisecraft Explorer 5.7,130 Honda,200lt stainless tank, Lowrance HDS5 combo, Hyd steering, transom and floor have been replaced. Empty out the old boat today, probably find lures I did not know I had !

IMG_9500.jpg

Good looking boat, sure you will enjoy it. Hope you nail a few fish on your first outing.
    Steve