Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The perfect deckie.

Re: The perfect deckie.

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    You forgot; Must bring own poofy dog and must be able to get blood and gut stains out of silk shorts!
    No poofy dogs allowed unless there's a hook involved . Guy wears his rooster footy shorts out cause they past wearing out as good shorts and he cops it . U boys are so in for it when u get here
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Quote Originally Posted by jtpython View Post
    No poofy dogs allowed unless there's a hook involved . Guy wears his rooster footy shorts out cause they past wearing out as good shorts and he cops it . U boys are so in for it when u get here
    JT
    Better hide the Roosters shorts when you see Jim..............there's a fair chance he'll want to wear them too and once he does it'll be a mission trying to get them back.

One may even say that not only is he a bit of a Boat Hog but once in the mood I hear he can be a bit of a cock hog too................

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    It's the term 'deckie' I don't like to use when fishing on the boat. If a deckie was to come aboard, then he/she shall be doing all the work. The term 'mate' is welcomed on my boat as he/she shall fish beside you with all the sledging in the world to put warney to shame.
    We do fish lke that, I dont mean the term 'deckie' as someone whom I expect or demand duties from, just anyone who's on board other than me. There's no chain of command. It's a democracy, as long as everyone agrees with me. LOL

As the 12th man said, we work as a team and we do it my way.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

When I'm first mate and I get a tangle with the skipper I insist on my rig being cut so the skipper can continue fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by MR OCD View Post
    If i fish with someone i always...

Turn up early
    Supply some fuel money
    Bring all the ice
    Bring sangas and chips and always offer to share
    Share my lures as long as the skipper isn't losing them one after the other
    Happy to drive the boat if the skipper wants a break
    Happy to take sh*t about how crap lures are if the skippers on bait and outfishing me
    Always happy to go back and help wash the boat
    Happy to share the catch as i don't eat fish
    Happy to drink your beer when we get back to your house

As i have OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) i treat other peoples stuff like it's my own, and anyone who knows me knows how well i look after my stuff.
    Where do you live Mr OCD ? If i ever need a deckie i'll give you a shout.

My best deckie by far was my wife when she used to fish with me all the time, she was never late, could reverse the trailer, tie knots, cut bait and fillet fish as good as anyone, good with a fixed and flying gaff, could drive the boat and would help get the boat cleaned up when we got home, there was never any drama with splitting costs, wonder if I can talk her into fishing again?

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    It's the term 'deckie' I don't like to use when fishing on the boat. If a deckie was to come aboard, then he/she shall be doing all the work. The term 'mate' is welcomed on my boat as he/she shall fish beside you with all the sledging in the world to put warney to shame.
    Totally agree, and if you cant sledge your mates then it's no fun.

When Bill (2IC) was looking for a new deckie I asked to see this CV to ensure that he was up to the task of being a good skipper, so far he has passed with flying colors. just glad he didn't ask to see my CV
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Muddy was the best skipper I have had take me out, he sure new how to put a happy ending on the day he even catered Pizza & coke way to go, I have recently taken out a senior citizen as a deckie , thought it would be good to get him out of the home for a day. Poor old fella he had a great time had a few issues jigging with his walker

After reading this i need a new deckies.. my mates never pay for fuel, say i will meet you at the ramp (which means i dont get a hand to wash/flush the boat down) and usually cant tie knots or know how to rig bait etc.. I always need someone to help as its a bit hard by myself and i like fishing with someone else to share the thrill etc. A lot of my mates dont really have the passion for fishing and believe it or not an offshore trip sometimes feels like they are doing me a favour by them coming out with me.. When i didnt have a boat i would have just about given my left arm for someone to take me... I guess though the best deckies are people that own or have owned boats as they understand the costs and efforts involved for a "day on the water"
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    Totally agree, and if you cant sledge your mates then it's no fun.
    Sledging the skipper is chapter 1 of the deckie handbook, mandatory requirement

Quote Originally Posted by Dicktracey View Post
    Muddy was the best skipper I have had take me out
    Don't get out much????

Nah.....your alright Muddy, but how come I didn't get a happy ending?
    Did I have to pay extra for that?

In all seriousness,
    good deck hands are hard to find.....and harder to keep, poaching crew is as much of a sport as the fishing is.

Fishing with mates is different to having a deckie on board.
    If you can't train the mates to do things the way you want them done, get new mates.

On board as a 'deckie', I don't fish, do all everything that needs to be done to run the boat so at the end of the day the skipper steps off the boat and opens a beer.
    The skipper then supply's everything as my 'pay' for the days work

On board as a mate, I will fish only when there is nothing else to be done.
    I'll pay whatever the skipper wants.

For both skipper and deckie, if you do your job well, you'll be wanted back
    There are some blokes that I wouldn't set foot on their boat again, and others I'm happy to go out with (one in particular) that I have fished with as his deckie for 14yrs.
    As for mates, I have only one that I have fished with regularly, and have done so for almost 20yrs.

Mutual respect is the key, IMO.

G
    S***fish & chippy

Quote Originally Posted by fish'n'chippy View Post

On board as a 'deckie', I don't fish, do all everything that needs to be done to run the boat so at the end of the day the skipper steps off the boat and opens a beer.
    The skipper then supply's everything as my 'pay' for the days work
    You take deckieing to a whole new level my friend...........as if it were some sort of a profession.

You're a teacher and a mentor to skipper, angler and deckies alike.

An absolute pleasure to have aboard..........

Now to fish more often so I can have you aboard again some time.

Thanks mate,
    It's just taking pride in what you do,
    and being the best you can be

You are included in the group of skippers that I am happy to fish with

BUT

Next time I want that "happy ending" that was mentioned earlier

(Still got you down for a prawning trip, it will happen.......one day)
    you have to spend more time on this side of the country if you want to do more fishing
    S***fish & chippy

I can deckie like a possessed daemon, ( I fished on Peter Pukula's Blackwatch by invitation), but I might struggle these days as I am an overweight single 40yo. I may not be as fast as I once was, but I've done it all before and I'm now smarter for it and just get the job done. L

But I'm I'm unlikely to get a start as my negative comments in the past have isolated me and turned good people against me.

My lack of fishing success has led to frustration, that frustration has turned into despair, that despair has turned into insane jealousy, as everyone is doing things I view as impossible. That makes me angry and want to take people to task to justify my failures and lack of success as being the norm. I hate that I can't do what others are doing. Makes me insane!!!!!!

So here is my apology to you all.

I've done the wrong thing, I've come out all jealous and defensive. Please accept my most humble apology.

I once wrote articles and did plenty of photography for various fishing magazines ( NAFA, QFM, NSW FM, Bush & Beach ), etc, and I loved it.

But after my bitter divorce in 2002, I went to the dark side, so very negative and hostile. Maybe I can turn it around and get back to the good old days of enjoying fishing, catching a few now & then and sharing that joy with others.

Wheewee Aus.... that's a load off your chest.

Good on ya for taking stock and deciding to be positive. The things you say to yourself in your head really do have a profound affect.

Tell yourself you are a good decent bloke and you are having a good lucky day and both will be true.

I wish you the very best.

Now about deckie ing.... My broinlaw/mate tells me I am the most useless deckie that ever tripped over a rope. He may be right. Of course, he is the most useless skipper that ever abused a deckie....

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')