Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Supertrawler news.... 26th April

Exclamation Latest Supertrawler news.... 26th April

: Tony Burke » Media centre » Media releases 2013 The Hon Tony Burke MP

Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
    Super trawler stopped again

Media release
    26 April 2013

Federal Environment Minister Tony Burke today made a final declaration stopping large capacity commercial fishing vessels from operating in the area of the Small Pelagic Fishery for two years.

The declaration will prevent the super trawler - the Abel Tasman, formally named the FV Margiris - from operating as a freezing and processing vessel of fish supplied by other vessels in the Small Pelagic Fishery following a second proposal by Seafish Tasmania.
    Mr Burke said his decision taken in consultation with Federal Fisheries Minister, Senator Joe Ludwig, stops vessels with a storage capacity of 1600 tonnes or greater from conducting mid-water trawl activities or operating as a ‘mother-ship’ that receives or processes fish or fish products in the area of the Small Pelagic Fishery.
    This commercial fishing activity will be banned for 24 months while an expert panel undertakes an assessment.

Last year the Government stopped the super trawler from operating in the Small Pelagic Fishery for up to two years to enable an independent assessment of the environmental impacts, particularly on species protected by Australia’s national environment law.
    “The government takes a highly cautious view when it comes to protecting the ocean. We take ocean protection seriously,” Mr Burke said.

“We have acted to protect our precious oceans by creating the world’s largest network of marine parks, stopping the super trawler and putting the Ningaloo Reef on the World Heritage List.

“This final declaration made today confirms the exclusion of these commercial fishing activities while an independent expert panel undertakes a scientific assessment of their environmental impacts. I have worked closely with Minister Ludwig in making this decision.

“Decisions about commercial fishing activities must be underpinned by robust science.
    “The next step is to establish an independent expert panel to conduct an assessment of the declared commercial fishing activities and report on the matter.”
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Latest Supertrawler news.... 26th April

Must be an election year ...... Burke is claiming this as a victory to garnish voter support!
    Jim

Jim you are on it mate ,it is all about the up coming election

It ain't going to change my vote but am happy that this decision has been made. Now I want to know if the coalition will keep it or scrap it and let them start fishing.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Well all i can say is "Sanity Prevails". Went down to Brissie couple of days ago, to look at a Car and the Seller is actually an Ex Pro Fisho from the Swains Reef Area. He actually brought this Vessel to my attention and mentioned if you let this Vessel, fish our Waters the effect will be enormous. He claims this Boat has been to a couple of locations through out the World and Pilfered everything out of the Ocean. He went on to tell me this is one of only few places left "where this Goliath of a Vessel" would potentially be allowed to Fish with what he called devastating circumstances. The thing i don't understand is why,it will take 2 years for an Independant Panel of so called (Experts) to determine the outcome. All i hope is "Sanity Does Prevail " for the future generations of Aussie People, who enjoy the Fruits of the Ocean at our own backdoor. Cheers Manta Man

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    It ain't going to change my vote but am happy that this decision has been made. Now I want to know if the coalition will keep it or scrap it and let them start fishing.
    I'm worried about that too.
    Here's a Media release from the Coalition's Fisheries spokesman Senator Richard Colbec

SENATOR THE HON RICHARD COLBECK

Senator for Tasmania

Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Fisheries and Forestry
    Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Innovation, Industry and Science

M E D I A R E L E A S E
    Monday, November 19, 2012

Trawler ban: Politics wins out over science yet again

A pattern of politics winning over science continued with Labor’s announcement today it would prohibit large-scale freezer vessels from operating in Australia’s small pelagic fishery.
    “As was the case with the announcement of Marine Park boundaries last week, Environment Minister Tony Burke has put politics before science yet again,” Coalition Fisheries spokesman Richard Colbeck said.
    “The boundaries announced last week were more about what Tony Burke thought he could sell politically. The decision to prohibit factory freezer vessels in the small pelagic fishery is more of the same.”
    Senator Colbeck said Mr Burke had trashed the reputation of Australia’s science-based fisheries management system in favour of populism, just as the Government did with the live export industry.
    “All of the credible science - from SARDI, IMAS, FRDC and the CSIRO - supported the sustainability of this fishery,” he said.
    “That Mr Burke constructed his own ‘uncertainty’ by not talking to any of these leading institutions is yet another indictment on the decision-making processes of this Gillard government.”

Is that just opposition politics or is that an omen of what is to come........... Perhaps all those organisations that set up the original protests should now be running awareness campaigns and putting pressure on the coalition to maintain this ban.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Is that just opposition politics or is that an omen of what is to come........... Perhaps all those organisations that set up the original protests should now be running awareness campaigns and putting pressure on the coalition to maintain this ban.
    On Feb 14 this year The Australian reported
    Opposition backs trawler mother ship plan
    THE federal opposition has given in-principle support to the use of a controversial super trawler as a "mother ship" but stopped short of declaring it would overturn a ban by imposed by environment minister Tony Burke.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226577920167

The ABC On Line had a story on Feb 15 about the disagreement between the Tassie Libs and the Federal Libs over the use of the ship.

Libs accused of supertrawler confusion
    The Tasmanian and Federal Liberal parties are being accused of causing confusion in the fishing industry because of their conflicting positions on the use of the supertrawler, Abel Tasman.
    The Federal Opposition has indicated it would reverse a ban on the use of Seafish Tasmania's supertrawler in Australian waters, even though it is at odds with the state party.

IMO one of the problems is that Senator Colbec (the Coalition's Fisheries spokesman) is from Tassie and has a fair bit to do with Seafish Tasmania, the company leasing the "super trawler".

A few social media sites are pushing the cause to stop the super trawler. Most are demanding Senator Colbec commit to upholding current ban on the ship after the Sept election.
    http://www.facebook.com/StopTheSuperTrawlers
    http://www.facebook.com/TurnAwayTheSuperTrawler?fref=ts
    http://www.facebook.com/SouthAussies...awlers?fref=ts

Cheers

My guess is when LNP get in with a massive majority it will not only be super trawler heaven here, it will also be Coal Port heaven as well...there is a saying "out of the frying pan into the fire" .... its probably the perfect description of Aus. politics..

Oh well it won't really matter all the little people won't be able to afford to go fishing anyway..

People power got it stopped and the same can get it removed altogether. If there is enough pressure applied to the aspiring parties(Coalition, Katter and Palmer) that impresses on them that this is what the people of Australia want then if they don't deliver they are guilty of not listening to the voters and will suffer the same fate as Gillard. If we play the wait and see game we get what we deserve because we already have a fair idea of what is going to happen.

I sent an email to Sunfish about this to ask about the coalition etc. This was the response.

"The Abel Tasman has left Australian waters. It is again flying a Lithuanian flag and is enroute to Chile.
    Sunfish and the Australian Recreational Fishing Foundation have been in discussions with Senator Colbeck. He is well aware of our position and understands that any similar vessel will be opposed just as strongly.

The response from the general fishing community was amazing. We have a really good communication network Australia wide now so we can manage to get email replies and phone in days going at fairly short notice.

On both the Phone Tony days we know his office had to get in an additional 2 people to answer the phones.

We all need to maintain a watching brief though, and not just for this vessel but for others that have the potential for industrial scale operations in very small areas that can have significant impacts on local stocks."

Kind Regards

Judy Lynne

Executive Officer

Sunfish Queensland Inc

Ph 07 3882 4518

Fax 07 3882 5680

Mob 0409 056 437

www.sunfishqld.com.au

Fishing For The Future

Now that is some good news and answers that question.

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Print Email Facebook Twitter More
    Super trawler ban to stay as more studies sought on fish stocks
    Posted Tue 17 Sep 2013, 11:43am AEST

The Abel Tasman has now left Australian waters.
    PHOTO: The Abel Tasman has now left Australian waters. (
    Flickr: S.H. Free Photos) RELATED STORY: Expert labels trawler ban 'embarrassing'RELATED STORY: Super trawler's operator surrenders registrationRELATED STORY: Court told super trawler was improperly banned
    MAP: TAS
    The incoming Federal Government will not say whether it will lift a temporary ban on Seafish Tasmania's super trawler.

The former Environment Minister, Tony Burke, last year banned the Abel Tasman from operating for two years.

The decision followed a public outcry by some in the fishing industry and environmentalists concerned about stock depletion.

Tasmanian Liberal Senator Richard Colbeck, who will be the new Parliamentary Secretary to the Agriculture Minister, says he would like another survey done on fish stock levels.

Senator Colbeck says that would be on top of an expert panel's work.

"Once that scientific work has been done, then we will make our decision based on the science," he said.

"I have to say across the board where I have been having those conversations, and I've had plenty of them, that's what people want.

"They want decisions made on the science."

The Abel Tasman has since left Australian waters.

Pretty sad when all it takes is a bit of common sense to see that a fishing vessel this big could trash the Australian tourist fishing economy. Fishing is a major player in tourism in Australia. Not hard to see the fall out about to take place if this vessel is allowed back in because science says its ok. Be a sad day when our kids, kids come home and say we didn't catch any fish today because the super trawler took them all. The Australian government has a lot to answer for trashing our country one intentional mistake at a time.

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Yep in the name of science mmm did someone say money! Science what the F...#. AH the Scientific Approach just another way of Fudging Figures and what ever else they can Concoct. So they will pay all the "GOOD DOERS OF THIS WORLD Mega AMOUNTS OF $$$" to justify why this should happen. I'd like express my real opinion on this matter but Hey i"m just a Fisho who"s words mean nothing to Policticians and THE Mega Businesses of the world. Just remember about the Children of Tomorrow their will be nothing left by the Time the THE SCIENTIFIC DOERS ARE FINISHED. Just a lot of empty Coffee Cups and and bits of Orderves.