Thread: Bunker Group ex Gladstone

Bunker Group ex Gladstone

Like some other Ausfish members myself, my cousin Bret and regularly deckie Greg made the call for some midweek fishing up north. We left Brisbane for Gladstone Tuesday night and were on our Bunker Group grounds around 7am, first drop was a 55cm Coral Trout and Bret's first 4 drops resulted in 4 just undersize Reds measuring in the early 50's.....good fishing for the next few days but we didn't land any big Reds, we did catch 4 smaller Reds around 56/57/58 and 62cm in length and threw back a lot of 53 and 54's.
    Bret also landed a pretty big Cod that had latched in to a Hussar on the way up.

We split our time between bottom fishing, trolling and some spearing, shooting some trout, RTE's,a GT and catching 3 painted Crays and just generally searching for new ground up that way whether that be freediving or from the boat with a rod and reel.

Trolling was very productive, at times bottom bashing we could see small schools of Spainish under the boat so Greg through out some leftover bait on an unweighted wire rig....That resulted in our first Spainish so we started trolling, At times we had double and triple hookups on Spainish, lots of fun.

We quickly had 6 together and thinking the bag was 2/person we put the trolling gear away.....I later learnt that I think it's actually 3/person but it wouldn't have mattered because despite how much fun they were to catch and how many there were around, we didn't have the freezer space or the need for that much meat.

Last day was spent diving for lobsters and throwing back legal RTE's, Spangleds and the like as we were now very low on ice. We probably would have found the room for a big Red though.

Fantastic conditions, Thursday was pretty much a glassout all day and at other times of the trip a maximum of 5 to 10 knots.

Cheers

Mark

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-62.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	91498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-63.jpg 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	91499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-64.jpg 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	91500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-65.jpg 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	91501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-66.jpg 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	91502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-67.jpg 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	91503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-68.jpg 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	91504

Re: Bunker Group ex Gladstone

Fantastic report mate

Good trip there fellas,nice feed, that's livin.......

Nice fish and a great report.

Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Good to see you made the most of the awesome weather mate with a nice mixed bag

Thats what I call making the most of where you were. Well done fellas.

Top report guys,
    You certainly had some fantastic weather in a beautiful part of the world.
    Cheers Gazza

One word come's to mind Envy Fishing on an awesome rig catching lobster and reefies well done mark you have to be happy with that lot mate......awesome.
    LOVIN THE GOOD TIMES FAMILY AND FRIENDS LOVE THE SPORT TIGHT LINES PEOPLE.....

As stated previously mark that's living. Especially if you have to go hard driving through the night to get your few days offshore and be back for either family or work.

Cheers

That's a life trip that one looks like u guys had a ball .Love them Crays
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Is anyone chasing a fridgie in Gladstone? I want to move there. Love your report mate. Jealous.

Mate if you cant get a job in town as a fridgie....sure with a bit of a browse through the y e ll o w pages and ten minutes on the phone you will get a couple of leads. You might be surprised at the cost of rent though.