Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanage Bay. quickie. aprill 2013.

Stanage Bay. quickie. aprill 2013.

Stanage Bay April 2013

It was a dark and stormy night........... oh hang on, that was a novel, this will be short and sweet with Neil ( Horse ) adding his report when he returns in 2 weeks time.

Late call for me to join Neil and Adrian for a sojourn to Stanage Bay on Sunday 21st, a place that most of us have heard about and is on the Bucket List. We are camping so bring, tent, sleeping gear and fishing gear. Good call and so I am packed and depart Club Algona ( my place ) and reach the meeting place at 15 minutes before schedule being 8am. BP Burpengary.

I scoffed some brekkie and waited until 8.43am, but no show and no answer on phone, so I head off thinking I have wrong date, wrong time ??? The call came in a little later that “ I'm running a bit late “, something about couldn't find lead for 12V fridge ??

I called 2IC and chatted to Bill, just to make sure I rubbed in the trip while he as at work... as you do. Bill called sometime later to say he met Neil at the BP pumping up the tyres....9.30 ish ! ??

I made my way to Scaryborough to catch up with Chong and drop back some gear he left in my boat from our last trip to 1770. The Chongster is crook as, coughing like an old Victa mower, so my stay was not long. Found some missed calls from Neil on the phone and called him. “ mate, can you buy me some pillows while you are in Maryborough, I forgot mine ? “> Pillows purchased, including cases and off I go to meet at pre-arranged over-night stop at Calliope.

Then call comes in that Calliope rest area stop is no more and we'll head further north to next one in Rocky. I catch up to Adrian ( whom I have met briefly a while ago, but don't really know ) and cannot raise him on the UHF. I stop at Calliope to visit friends that had baby 4 days previous, chat, pics etc etc. Another call comes in, Rocky is no go, keep going to Yaamba, some 30k's further north.

I re-fuelled at Rocky and met the crew at Yaamba rest area, right next to Royal Oak Hotel, where dinner was consumed. Neil tells me he didn't stop to re-fuel at Rocky because he lost his wallet. Sleep in car was “ trucking “ interupted, but did manage a couple of hours. In the morning, Neil finds wallet, so heads back to Rocky to re-fuel. 2 hours later, Adrian calls Neil , “ where forth art thou ? “. response...“ I am trying to buy some outboard oil, but it's all to expensive “.

Neil returns and off we go towards Stanage Bay and Neil reminds Adrian about his wrong turns, missing turn-offs etc. Adrian is leading and gets away a bit, and I am following Neil, who misses the turn-off. A couple of K's up the road we find a stopping bay to U-turn it and high-tail back to meet Adrian.

With some air removed from tyres, we proceed along the 100k's of dirt road. At 70 KPH the ride would have been OK, but due to camper trailer and boat trailer, we averaged about 24kph. The road was OK, but certainly some corrugation, pot holes and several water crossings made the trip interesting, let alone the flat tyre on the Range Rover.

At about 80k's in, I am over the dirt road thing, but utilize the GPS to see if “ are we there yet ? “.

We call into the boat ramp upon arrival and then into the camp ground. Nice area with open spaces and plenty of trees ( no one told me about the Green Tree Ants ). The site eventually sorted and campsite erected. Time for a coldie.

Neil attends to the boat in readiness for tomorrows outing, while Adrian sorts kitchen etc and I look after my tent etc. The call was made to collect the firewood, so we jump in my Collie off we go about 5 – 7k's out of town and find great wood. The chain saw was singing and soon the ute tray was chockers with a few days supplies.

Back to camp and more ice was needed for beers. The local stores ( Stanage Bay Marine and Plumtree Store ) has this and more, but not overly endowed with stock. Just the basics.

Couple of fellas turn up with a bucket full of cooked Mudcrabs, saying they are all “ mudcrabbed out “. Been eating these for 3 days and sick of them. These were despatched into esky and loaded into boat for lunch the next day.

Rods readied and boat sorted. After a disturbed nights sleep... snoring, and hot still night, we had a cuppa for breakfast and off to the ramp just after dawn. Launching was OK, despite frantic search for winch handle and on the way out, “ where's the water ( drinking ) Neil ? “. OH......... bugga. I did have a few bottles of Gatorade on board, so that was indeed good.

Amazing scenery and after stopping to don the raincoat... ask Neil … we arrived at the shoals some 40 minutes ? , later. Incredible to see the calm water and then the standing up stuff where current rises over the shoals that come from 75ft to 50ft or so. The fishing can really only be done over the slackness of the tides, and due to full moon close, the current was ripping and we really only got an hour or so at the fish.

Big Grassies, Blue Bones, Coral Trout, Hussar, Cod, Mackerel and big Moses Perch came into the boat, with some being released.

Headed back to the mainland area, where I threw a poppa at rocks etc, for nil result. We then took a look around the estuary ( sound / bay ) and Neil showed me the deep holes that went down 100ft and the “ upwellings “ were something to be seen to be believed. I have never seen it like this anywhere. 4 knots minimum....... >>>>>>

Boat retrieved and back to camp for cleansing ale and some fish filleted for dinner, while Adrian cooked up some toasted sangas for lunch... this is about 2pm. More chat, beers etc and I had my first shower since Saturday night.... more chat and beers.

Dinner was fresh fish pieces in beer batter, chips and Mango Salsa.

Off to bed for well earned rest. Up early and I pack up. Hit the road at 6.45am. Flat tyre at 7.15am.
    Travelling at 70 – 90 kph made a good smooth trip, but there were the slow points, wash-outs, cattle grids etc. In Rocky I had a mission to obtain a part for the gas stove which didn't end well, so a new complete stove was purchased and sent on it's way to Camp.

The road trip was OK, with minimal interruptions from road works, but I did pull over for a few very wide loads.

This trip is not for the sookie-la-la's. You must be fully self sufficient and be prepared for breakages on trailer, car, camp and boat. Solar power with 12v fridges / freezers are a must as well as own shower, water and toilet. A good chart for the waterways and experience in strong current fishing. We didn't get out to the islands or the clearer water, so no can report on that, but needless to say, much better than closer areas. No bait fish / livies to be had. We only took Squid and Pillies. The crabbing seems to be red hot, but you have to work for them, heading up creeks at high tide, as there is NO water at the mouth at low tide. There is a VMR operating. Most of the boats there are either 7mtrs plus or 4mtr tinnies.

Great to finally get there as see for ones self, the beauty of the area with limited mankind disturbances.

Some pics below tell some stories.

Cheers LP
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0009 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	91767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0023 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	91770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0020 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	91771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0031 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	91772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0034 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	91773  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0039 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	91774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0044 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	91775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0048 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	91776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0057 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	91777   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0071 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	91778  

Name:	SANY0073 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	91779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0085 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	91780  
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Stanage Bay. quickie. aprill 2013.

more pics. self explanatory

The smallest Grassie went 32cms... so the others are.... GOOD
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0095 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	91783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0093 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	91782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0092 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	91781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0096 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	91784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0097 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	91785  

Name:	SANY0102 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	91786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0108 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	91787  

well Phill after reading that I will be putting it on my list for next year will look at saturday to saturday so if your up for it shall we DO IT

It isnt a bad little place aye Phill.
    I have visited the place about 20 times now over the years.
    Those tidal upwellings can be very dramatic, your images look pretty flat. I have travelled thrugh them where they stand over 5 feet tall in that area with 12 knots of current. Slack tide there though has good black jew in residence.
    Jack.

Beautiful part of the world and the rewards well worth the effort. Will be back up there again one day.

Wow,what a great place for fishing,its sounds like you had a good time too. The long drive in from Kunwarara is tough going though,especially on boat trailers, but thats half the fun I suppose. At least its not as bad now as it was in the late 70's,it was a wild & lonely outpost back then - believe me !

Last edited by steve99; 25-04-2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling

great report mate. if neils is exponentially similar it will be 5 pages long. great read though and many thanks for the fillets you dropped off. my daughters eyes lit up when i told her there was sweetlip on the menu.
    thanks again
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Thanks for the "quickie" report Phill. It's on my list of places to go that's for sure.

I reckon Neil (Armstrong) had it easier going to the moon!

Definitely a fantastic looking and fascinating place and I want to go there before someone discovers gold, oil, gas or builds a resort and McDonalds there!

Thanks again Phill and I am looking forward to a full report from Horse.

Cheers,
    Jim

lucky you!!!!
    I finally launched VC3 today...yep I hope you are sitting down reading this, however there is a big BUGGA, the anchor rope broke after about half an hour, I had no plan B, so it was back to the Coffs boat ramp. Soooo much fun in one day.
    cheers r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Glad you finally got out after such a long break Roz..

Stanage reminds me of Agnes Water / 1770........ 30 years ago.

cheers

very tasty dinner phill. a BIG thank you from amy.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    very tasty dinner phill. a BIG thank you from amy.
    And I had some fresh caught prawns with my Sweetlip and Blue Bone fish for dinner... thank-you.

cheers

All i know is 40 years ago at Agnes my Mother and Aunty had way too much punch at the Caravan Park, they where never the same again... still remember bouncing around as a kid hitting my scone on a roof on the way to Agnes on the dirt in a Falcon.. might have to head up to Stanage
    Tangles KFC

Hi Phil,

Interesting read mate !!

Yeah they are big grassies !!

Wow what a mission, long trip up and back for a days fishing, shame you couldn't get out for another crack at them. How were the mud crabs..full ?

Cheers
    Craigie.

Phill your report read like comedy of errors in the beginning. long way for a days fishing mate, but some people have no sense lol. Would like to get up there one day myself. sounds like you had a great time and that's whats is all about.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things