Thread: Mullet hauler bitten by shark!

Mullet hauler bitten by shark!

A man has been bitten by a shark on the New South Wales mid-north coast.

The 51-year-old was knee deep in water pulling out nets of mullet when he was bitten on the legs by a grey nurse shark in Crowdy Head about 2.30pm (AEST) on Sunday.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-2...-coast/4642170

Hmmmm .... Man v shark over fresh mullet. Round 1 to the shark. Lucky the grey nurse is protected!
    Jim

Re: Mullet hauler bitten by shark!

Are they sure it wasn't a great white they get the blame for all attacks.

Well I suppose it could have been ..... could have been a net full of mulloway too!
    Jim

A Grey Nurse???? Bloody hell, I wonder who fed them that species to write in the article. Crazy. Either way I hope old mate recovers.

Cuzza

Well if I was munching down on a nice T-Bone and someone grabbed me by the tail I would probly bite them too..

Beach hauling fish massacre bulls**t!! And someone whinges when we take one or two fish for the table. Pffffffft!!

I remember when a WA man was attacked and killed by a Great White and then they went hunting Great Whites after to find the shark even though they are protected.
    I wonder if they will do this here and then lock us out of more fishing spots by making them sanctuaries to save the grey nurse sharks!... don't laugh it might happen :0

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    A man has been bitten by a shark on the New South Wales mid-north coast.

The 51-year-old was knee deep in water pulling out nets of mullet when he was bitten on the legs by a grey nurse shark in Crowdy Head about 2.30pm (AEST) on Sunday.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-2...-coast/4642170

Hmmmm .... Man v shark over fresh mullet. Round 1 to the shark. Lucky the grey nurse is protected!
    Wonder how that goes with Work Place Health & Safety?????

Once I was beach fishing and crossed this channel formation to get to a bar, I was up to my neck, then all of a sudden the water was thick with mullet.
    Needless to say I felt a little vulnerable.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    Wonder how that goes with Work Place Health & Safety?????
    Yes, it would be very interesting to see if Workcover got involved and especially what would be there recommendations!

I heard at work today that the fisherman was bitten releasing, or soon after releasing the shark from the net.
    Jim

Okay; Here's the latest on, Alan Saunders, the Fisherman who was bitten;

The Manning River Times is reporting that Mr Saunders and a group of other fisherman were hauling their nets in when they discovered two grey nurse sharks had been caught.
    "Two sharks were caught in our nets and according to regulations we must cease operations immediately and release them in two feet of water,’’ Mr Saunders’ brother, Ray Saunders, told the Times.
    ‘‘As one was being released on the right side it chased one fisherman, Chris Watson, back to shore.
    ‘‘Alan started to handle the other one. It was about 11 foot (3.3metres), I think.
    ‘‘He got it free of the net but we think it may have turned around and bit him.
    ‘‘We’re not exactly sure. It’s possible there was a third shark out there.’’

There's some video (phone) footage here of one of the sharks being released and the camera is still filming when the shark bite happens (off camera - but you here the 'commentary').

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/14...vering/?cs=305

Cheers,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    Yes, it would be very interesting to see if Workcover got involved and especially what would be there recommendations!

I heard at work today that the fisherman was bitten releasing, or soon after releasing the shark from the net.
    They showed the tooth on the news, the whole things a bit overblown, I've always been told if a ambulance is called a Workcover investigation is automatically triggered, don't know if true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    Once I was beach fishing and crossed this channel formation to get to a bar, I was up to my neck, then all of a sudden the water was thick with mullet.
    Needless to say I felt a little vulnerable.

Dan
    I know how you feel mate, That would definitely make you "Bycatch"

Is this for real? Workcover??

I worked as a deckie and a Trainee Master Fisher many years ago and there was no so called Workcover or protection provided for people working in the fishing industry in NSW. If you got an injury, stiff, bad luck, get over it. No compo claim, Find another job if you could not work. Back those days and maybe still today one could not rely on sole income from fishing as its governed by weather, one needed a second job to fall back on.

If you was employed as a deckie or master etc in Stevedoring or Ports and Harbours then you was looked after.

Bondy

Ha ha Bondy, I know where you're coming from mate. Working in the Timber Industry at Coffs Harbour, you get a lot of guys that switch between working in Trawlers and working in the mills. Sometimes the grass is greener in the other job, sometimes it isn't. All depends on how well your doing and how you're getting paid (if your pay is based on production or not). Fortunately, the timber game has moved on (mostly) from the old days when if you cut a finger off you wrapped it up (usually in a dirty rag or piece of singlet) and kept working or your family wasn't getting fed. I believe the fishing industry used to be a lot similar. Hopefully things have changed for the better.

Cheers,
    Jim