Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what kayak do you have and why

what kayak do you have and why

What is everyone paddling?

Blog Entries

Re: what kayak do you have and why

Got a perception swing 400. Good all-round craft. Has good stability and tracks really well when paddling. I have a rudder on it which makes a big difference too. Love it.

If I had the dosh I would get a peddle hobie but,..... well I don't

i got an ocean kayak prowler. good stability, is able to handle rough water, threaded inserts make attaching accessories easy without drilling holes. i bought as it was too good of a price to pass up.

I agree with funchy in that having leg propulsion would make things alot easier but the ocean kayak has its advantages over hobie especially in rough water.

I have a 2010 Stealth BFS mainly because I wanted the internal storage and the load capacicity. Woudnt take a Hobie if you gave it to me for free and I have used a few.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter View Post
    Woudnt take a Hobie if you gave it to me for free and I have used a few.
    Looks like it will work out well for you Mr Fishhunter, because there is not much chance of anyone giving you one!

I've got

• An Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.5 which is my go to yak.

• A Viking Tempo which is now my winter river yak, used to be my go to yak before I got the prowler (dryer than the prowler, nice to just float up and down with the tide, pig in a wind, paddles like a house brick)

• An Ocean Kayak Seabreeze which is my "if you gotta drag it over sand bars etc" yak for small creeks and shallow rivers

• 2 Bandits for when I take the kids with my and I want the yaks to stack in the trailer.

• An old dunga for if the kids bring a mate, cant even remember the brand, but elcheapo.

I have a Perception Swing at the moment but will either upgrade or buy a 2nd yak sooner or later. That new yak will be a Stealth Evo 465 for the longer legs and offshore trolling.

What sort of thing do you want to do with a yak?? River, lake, creek, bay or ocean fishing? Very hard to find a compromise across the spectrum.
    Jack.

Jack
    Most of my fishing is river and estuary but do fish the dams is SE Qld also. Can get some reasonable swell there. I am looking at replacing a Canadian canoe with a Kayak. My wife has started to kayak and its to hard to take the canoe and kayaks (my kids also paddle), another kayak is better and I can paddle with her and fish. Win win far as I can see

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhobie View Post
    Looks like it will work out well for you Mr Fishhunter, because there is not much chance of anyone giving you one!
    Bit sensitive arent we? Or are we not allowed to disagree with the almighty Hobie purveyor?
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

I had two fish bandits (Extreme Kayaks) in Canberra and I miss them so much we're buying another two. We couldn't fit them in with the move unfortunately, great little yak and very good for impoundments, wouldn't take them into the inshore/offshore world though, but I'd take the bigger brother the Outlaw into that stuff.

Aus made too, and at around $699 you just can't go past them. No they're not a pushpeddle/flap thingy like a hobie but most yak fishos up here in Tinaroo swear by paddling to attract the barra and apparently the peddle ones are too noisy (from a fish perspective). ps this was told to me by Mark Hope, from worldrecord########### .theusual.au and if anyone knows how to catch barra from a yak, it's him.

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter View Post
    Bit sensitive arent we? Or are we not allowed to disagree with the almighty Hobie purveyor?
    Puzzled by the chip on your shoulder. You have a long history of such comments.

I have a Viking Pro Fish and have recently added a Stealth Evo 495 to the stable.

The viking was my first yak and I have done everything with it, including skinny creeks where I could hardly turn, dams, estuaries, bream comps and offshore work. I chose this yak because of my height and the fact that the leg wells provided a little extra room for my build compared to many other yaks on the market at the time.

The Evo was recently added due to my increasing interest in offshore fishing from the yak combined with launching through the surf. This yak also has longer legwells which I also had lengthened further during the build. These things really shine in the offshore / surf environment as you are able to store fully rigged 7ft rods in the hull during some fairly torrid surf entries and landings. They are glass and fast, so travelling long distances is also less demanding, which makes a difference at the end of the day when you've been chasing pelagic bust ups all over the place only to see them disappear as you enter casting range.

There are lots of different yaks out there, many are suited to specific tasks, so it's just a matter of finding the right fit for you.

Kev

Thanks just seeing what people like and dislike at the moment

We have a hobie outfitter with a motor (I know it's cheating). works really well and handles the rough stuff fine. a bit more bulky than some of the other options but the wife loves it.

cheers, Rob

Viking tempo fisherman with 28lb minn kotta. Paddles like shit but very stable and carries lots of weight. Malibi mini-x for skinny water, also very stable.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.