Thread: Californian sheep head

Californian sheep head

Thought I would post up a fish we wouldn't see in Aus,
    Whilst on my trip to the USA I did a deep sea trip in San Diego.... Can't help myself :-)

Like a lot of things I fluke I manage to land a couple of Californian sheepheads.
    One female turning male and the other that was a large male, much to the anger of my fellow local anglers one in particular who had tried to get a adult male for 14 year and he had been going out twice a week. He jokingly told me to go home Aussie.

Me I thought I caught a giant cichlid lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Californian sheep head

Forgot to add it was winter (off season) and the boat was the size of a cruise ship fishing over 50 of us at once!

Don't like to think what a big fish would do to all surrounding lines if it took off under those circumstances. 50 people! My god. Would be like a possessed etcha sketch. Although you have to be a certain age to understand what the hell I'm talking about. Leah, it sounds to me like you are far too successful to fully appreciate fishing. NO doubt if you came up to Qld, you'd get a 60cm canal jack first time out. Now that's just not good for you. You should be made to put in a few...hundred trips before hand so you appreciate what it is you've done. Trust me... I know of what I speak...

Yes there were a few crossed lined and birds nests going on. They weren't expecting anything very exciting just rock cod style fish. And i lot of people gave up quickly and hung out in the restaurant or watched the more eager of us. Needed to scoot a little further down to Mexico for the exciting stuff.
    Sheik I'm not as young as you probably think I am ;-)
    But your QLD waters are safe from me...for now

Conditions look great and what an unusual looking fish.

Nice fish Leah, well done.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Interesting looking fish, looks like it has a nice set of teeth. How do the female differ from the males in color.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Nice fish, looks a lot like the Tusk fish we get here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedl View Post
    Yes there were a few crossed lined and birds nests going on. They weren't expecting anything very exciting just rock cod style fish. And i lot of people gave up quickly and hung out in the restaurant or watched the more eager of us. Needed to scoot a little further down to Mexico for the exciting stuff.
    Sheik I'm not as young as you probably think I am ;-)
    But your QLD waters are safe from me...for now
    Are you old enough to remember what an origin win feels like?
    Never mind, I have a feeling the origin might head south this year. Would you say that the fishing over there is equal to, worse or better than we have here. No doubt you've got all that country up north there in british columbia etc and alaska too. You'd have to get a fair distance to get away from the crowds, would that be right?

C c c c c c c c c c c c c c c
    Last edited by aus2045; 21-04-2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

Females are all red/pink until about 13 yrs age they turn male. Yes big teeth for breaking crustaceans
    I dont know what the fishing is like further north, there was hardly anyone out in terms of boats. Lots of seals to come and try steal your fish. As for San Deigo I would do it again $60 a head and includes license, bait, tackle, nice big kitchen and half a day on the water. And I would also like to go across the boarder to mexico and fish that were the game fish are as the water temps are much more favourable.

Aus2045 (thats my post code lol) Winter over there you have to release the fish so they can breed. Wouldn't mind catching a big black and pink fish here though. All I got last week was a bunch of port jacksons over and over again!