Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best paint and prep for new trailer

Re: Best paint and prep for new trailer

Andrew

Agreed nobody wants the hassle but I had to add the electric brakes and upspec the Tinka trailer carrying capacity with QT even though the original Tinka trailer sold for the boat only had 4 wheel hydraulic override brakes fitted.

Mind you they worked just as well without the electric setup but who wants to use their retirement funds to pay off legal claims if you hit or someone else hits you!

Sometimes though it would be nice to go back to the lighter boat and previous two wheel trailer with cable operated ove-ride brakes. Just need to get the Vag back in the water after the motors are serviced and those thoughts will fade away. The hard top has also worked out to be a great improvement on the sunbrella too.

Good to see you managed to make a longer week end out of the Anzac day tribute too........

Cheers
    Chimo

PS Are you going to grease your rollers like Trev too?
    What could go wrong.......................

Hi Chimo. Yep if you have to have them those electrics brake well. Mine are front axle only.

I have xtrolled the roller arms and inoxed the washers.

Yeah they are a sweet ride mate. Towed it home tonght and its amazing whay working springs can do for the ride. ..

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Thought I would post back if it helps anyone. Now a year on next month, and absolutely zero rust, even surface or bolt rust. So completely sealed box sections for main rails with about 2 litres of fish oil in each. Open box sections are all Xtrolled. The outside of the trailer was several coats of Xtroll rust conqueror and then several coats of Xtroll Easygal. I dunk my trailer so just under the top of the guards. The main rails are duragal at the back and middle and the front angled bits are just bluesteel - same treatment for the lot though as above. I am hoping not to have to replace this trailer any time soon.

The springs are made at Main Springs in Brisbane - untreated until I got them then Xtrolled, Easygal'd then rubbed with wheel bearing grease. Each time it comes home just a hit with fish oil on the springs after the wash down. No rust on the springs yet.

Cheers

Thanks for that Ozscott, new trailer on the to buy list and wanted to treat the new gal from new i was going to use a KBs urethane coating but this Xtroll look like a good thing after going to the site and haveing a read.

Its easy to apply Chris. With several coats it dries glossy and very slightly gold tinge.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

OK just an update. 3.5 years of salt use and no rust anywhere even on Springs and axles. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    People will cut me down but....

Coldgal and salt water are very average combination. You don't see bridges and steel boat stuff painted in coldgal.Perhaps a steel boat forum? Follow the instructions on painting duragal as I had some issues with white powder "rust"corrosion as I didn't do proper prep on a shed frame and my paint result was crap. simple wipe with metho to remove the "factory wax" would have saved me a later touch up. Speak with someone who does industrial coatings as there are better paints than cold gal. As for oil filling or partial oil fill it still never sloshes on the top inside of box so it is fill it up. Why not use a industrial protectant on the inside and spread it by turning over the frame a few times so salt can never tough the metal.

Pulling my head in now. Hard to specify a product as the ones I have seen used recently haven't had years of wear and tear to say to use them. We have painted part our davits ( constant salt spray) with the POR alkeylyde type product and wrapped in some mastic tape stuff products under a maintenance contract and looks ok for now. Like everything in 6 months if it falls to bits I'll wonder if it was worth the money etc etc.
    Cold Gal and all one pack paints are a waste of time in a saltwater environment. Kill rust is a deceiving name to those who may be tempted to use it in Saltwater. I started the thread about 2 packs as from my experience this is the minimum place to start. Other Standard one packs like Epoxy Enamel are basic house and shed paint and are completely out of of their depth when being dunked in the briny.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

I m aware that galvanising is very expensive around Brisbane .....Im guessing thats a monopoly situation?? ...but for comparison only....I recently got a ballpark figure for removing the old gal..75cper kilo (of trailer) and regalvanising 1.50/kg...$2.25 a kilo from Furphys at Shepparton.

In this case I only need to regal the completely stripped tray part of the trailer and not the undercarriage ..two people can lift it couldnt weigh more than 100kg ...that leaves a lot of room for freight costs...and a top job (5 day turnaround) that will gives years of trouble free service.

Quote Originally Posted by inveratta View Post
    I m aware that galvanising is very expensive around Brisbane .....Im guessing thats a monopoly situation??
    Plenty of competition in Brisbane for galvanizing.
    The reason why trailers are expensive is nothing to do with the kilos, it is all about the room it takes in the bath, the more room it takes, the less tonnes they can dip at once.
    I get a lot of 3d things hot dip galvanized and know fully well just how expensive it can be......this month's invoices will be over 30k.
    Jack.

I don't want years of trouble free service. I want the trailer to maintain its integrity for decades. Galv alone can't give that. Sealed box properly done is the go for my time and money. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ozscott,How's the trailer going. I have a simular situation,going through a refurb on the cat trailer and thinking the above mentioned xtroll might be the go.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Sealed box the best??? Just for the record, I'll be favouriting this thread as there is so much good information in it. But how can you completely, and I mean air/watertight, seal a box section when you have sealed a liquid inside it? Or applied an internal coating? I've seen people try to do it, and it up looking good outside, but rusting from the inside, because a small amount of water got in, then sat under the lighter oil-based stuff when it settled. Personally, and from looking at lots of trailers getting a very hard life, you can't go past heavy channel and angle. Any issues will always be obvious, and you can deal with it as you see fit. The only box section on my new trailer is the drawbar, which tends not to get dunked, and is easy to flush out anyway. Good galv'ing,on an intelligent design, with no box sections where moisture can sit, should last at least a decade before you even need to look at anything. The trailer on my last boat was going on twenty years old when I sold it , and looked like new--I will concede that it had always been stored under cover, and we don't have your Queensland humidity over here, which has implications for both boat hull and trailer longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Sealed box the best??? Just for the record, I'll be favouriting this thread as there is so much good information in it. But how can you completely, and I mean air/watertight, seal a box section when you have sealed a liquid inside it? Or applied an internal coating? I've seen people try to do it, and it up looking good outside, but rusting from the inside, because a small amount of water got in, then sat under the lighter oil-based stuff when it settled. Personally, and from looking at lots of trailers getting a very hard life, you can't go past heavy channel and angle. Any issues will always be obvious, and you can deal with it as you see fit. The only box section on my new trailer is the drawbar, which tends not to get dunked, and is easy to flush out anyway. Good galv'ing,on an intelligent design, with no box sections where moisture can sit, should last at least a decade before you even need to look at anything. The trailer on my last boat was going on twenty years old when I sold it , and looked like new--I will concede that it had always been stored under cover, and we don't have your Queensland humidity over here, which has implications for both boat hull and trailer longevity.
    Yes a good point about sealing the box channels. The obvious way around is to have fill and drain nipples to pressure fill it. The more obvious question is what fluid to use that wont break down over time? So every couple of years, it may be wise to flushout and change the fluid.
    Truly maintenance free or longevity are not related to salt water. Containment and prevention will only take you so far. For my new boat, I can get a trailer for under $4000. Factor in 10 years and its around $400 a year. To me its a fine line between just go fishing and hose down or go mad on any chemical attempt to preserve that which cant. Not to mention the constant vigil, just in case. My last boat was 5 yrs old and the trailer was like new with nothing apart from a good rinse down and i dunked the trailer.
    Remind me again, how do you galvanise an aluminium trailer? ( yes its a boring saturday arvo)

Ok I sold the Vagabond late last year and the trailer remained like new. If you weld the end caps on with good welds there are no leaks and no water ingress. I had tapped holes in the top and rear to allow filling and draining. I checked the fisholine after a few years and it was excellent. No emulsion. The bolts had nylon washers to seal.

Thoroughly recommend it.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I have a 2002 Dunbier Centreline and surprisingly it's still in good condition. My replacement down the track may be a welded alloy trailer but given you can get a good australian made gal steel trailer for a 4.5 tinny for 1300 skins or so I probably wouldn't bother particularly given that I would be concerned about alloy fatigue on corrugated roads up north.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk