Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best paint and prep for new trailer

Best paint and prep for new trailer

Hi all,

My tailer is getting treated to new lengths of chassis rails - 75mm x 75mm x 5mm in Duragal. Any welds are being cold galv'd immediately when hot and the ends are being capped off with oil put in to slosh around. For the outside I was going to Cold Galv it all with a brush and then top coat with an enamel like Kill Rust or Dulux. However I was wondering if I should Penetrol the chassis first and then paint cold galv and top coat??

Also, the cross member frame for the axles is very heavily galved - 15 years old hot dip. It has no signs of internal nor external corrosion, but thinking of treating it the same way as the new Duragal steel to keep it all looking the same and also add to the rust protection. I take it that would definitely need Penetrolling first??

Many thanks
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: Best paint and prep for new trailer

People will cut me down but....

Coldgal and salt water are very average combination. You don't see bridges and steel boat stuff painted in coldgal.Perhaps a steel boat forum? Follow the instructions on painting duragal as I had some issues with white powder "rust"corrosion as I didn't do proper prep on a shed frame and my paint result was crap. simple wipe with metho to remove the "factory wax" would have saved me a later touch up. Speak with someone who does industrial coatings as there are better paints than cold gal. As for oil filling or partial oil fill it still never sloshes on the top inside of box so it is fill it up. Why not use a industrial protectant on the inside and spread it by turning over the frame a few times so salt can never tough the metal.

Pulling my head in now. Hard to specify a product as the ones I have seen used recently haven't had years of wear and tear to say to use them. We have painted part our davits ( constant salt spray) with the POR alkeylyde type product and wrapped in some mastic tape stuff products under a maintenance contract and looks ok for now. Like everything in 6 months if it falls to bits I'll wonder if it was worth the money etc etc.

Thanks mate. I have since learned you cant cold galv over the Penetrol. I might penetrol it and just paint top coat that suits. As for internal if the rails are fairly full it will slosh around and should coat the top inside regularly.

Cheers

I would just hit the new bits with a high zinc primer and then a silver top anticorrosive coat top coat then every year give it a hit with a coat or two of Tectyl 506
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Hi Ozscott Have a look at the EXTROLL products they use it to protect steel bridges
    Clear coat first Then there silver or you can mix the clear into any color enamel for second coat
    Will brush role or spry Cheers COL

many thanks gents. turns out my brother is only one of two retailers of Stroll in Brissy. ..apparently the Old Surf Lifesaving now require all their trailers used on the. beach to have Xtroll on them.

cheers

Penetrol can also be mixed into your top coat if you spray. I add up to a fifth to rustgaurd/killrust enamels before thinning and it gives a really nice hard finish carrying the colour into the tiniest places.

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I would just hit the new bits with a high zinc primer and then a silver top anticorrosive coat top coat then every year give it a hit with a coat or two of Tectyl 506
    Tectyl 506 is brilliant stuff but remains gooey and tacky for life!

Messy to work around but will outlast you and the trailer!

Have a look at KBS Coatings, it is really good stuff. Also try Boeshield T9 on all your springs, shackles, wheel nuts, winch etc.
    http://www.kbs-coatings.com.au
    http://boeshield.com
    Last edited by SnapBowen; 13-04-2013 at 06:28 AM. Reason: links

Many thanks gents. Lots of good products and some similar. I got 4 litres of Xtroll Rust Conqueror and Xtroll Easygal yesterday. Going to water blast then paint with that. Conqueror has a specific gravity less than water so like penetrol will get into all the nooks. My new custom springs look good made locally with bhp steel. They are ungalved. I dont want to take them apart - tbey have keepers on them - to paint with xtroll and I cant paint it while on there cause xtroll sets hard and wont let the springs move and rub. I was thinking of just spraying lanotec on them but given pentrol remains tacky I might be better using it on the springs....

Cheers

I am still not sold on inox or lanotec on my new rotors...has anyone just tried saltx or similar at the ramp and then a good flush at home for keeping rotors from pitting ?

TRAILER MAKE OVER - photo 2- 22 April 2013 compressed.jpgTRAILER MAKE OVER 22 April 2013 - compressed.jpgoK so a follow up. Degrease then 3 coats of each of the above products including one coat of spraying Xtroll to make sure its everywhere and rest brush. Spring packs have been done with both also, as have the annodised solid square axels and round studs welded on as a drop axel arrangement - the whole lot is nearly 5cm lower now. The brakes are Xtrolled and then painted over with Easygal, although they were already gal and stainless, so extra there. The spring packs will be massaged with grease before dunking. The main channels will be oil filled - they too have been sprayed inside with rust conqueror but oil will stop corrosion. End plugs sealed with sikaflex will allow servicing every 3 years or so to change the oil. New oil only not sump oil. Xtrolled the wire brake cable too. Its an experiment, but with plenty of anecdotal evidence to support this build being a sound one rust wise....time will tell. I have changed wheels to make sure I can hose the outside of the rotors - one of the new riims is int he photo - the old steelies had no holes!

Cheers

Something is not right with this post

Can anyone else pick up the huge lies!!????

Come clean

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    There is absolutely no chance in hell that you can do that to a trailer and have so little bloody mess around. I call it for a fake unless you can do the same to mine!!

Bloody good job and rust will have a hard time getting started.

Now - what time are you doing mine?

New Trailer - brakes and springs.jpgNew Trailer April 2013.jpgOk new wheels also from Active Fab at $50 a piece and Im in business - here she is.

Cheers

Hi Oz

How come you get away without breakaway brakes on your Vag? Were they so much lighter than the later versions with twin 115HPs?

Cheers
    Chimo

PS Nice job on the trailer tho!
    What could go wrong.......................

Yes mate- weigh bridged with 80 litres short of the full fuel compliment and normal gear (but no ice etc) is 1.8 tonns inc trailer (disconnected from the car and standing all by itself). With full fuel ice etc she is still just under the 2 tonn magic number....I accept that electric are always better (when working...) but I dont need the hassle if not required by law. Besides the Discovery pulls it up well.

Cheers
    Andrew