Thread: Installing Dragonfly on Yamaha Jetski

Installing Dragonfly on Yamaha Jetski

Well i bit the bullet and just purchased the new Raymarine Dragonfly Sounder/Gps with Chirp technology. Now to install it on my 2009 Yamaha FXSHO jet ski, i will post pics and results as i go. First impressions are wow! this is a big transducer 200mm long and from what i can discover so far it may be that i will have to mount it on the transom. I read that the chirp transducers operate at a higher heat level than ordinary transducers and may have to be in the water when running to keep it cool. I read this on Airmar ??website. I had purchased with the intention of siliconing inside hull and shooting thru the fibreglass, now i am hesitant as i don't want to risk damaging the transducer.
    If any can comment my ears are open. some photos attached.
    The unit itself looks the perfect size for mounting over the cup holder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Installing Dragonfly on Yamaha Jetski

I recently saw a wet install on a kayak where a plastic container with the bottom cut out is siliconed to the hull. The transducer is then screwed to the snap on lid of the container. You fill the container with water and put the lid on. Maybe an option for you.

Thanks for that it may be an option, at the moment i am playing around with the transom mount, made up a metal bracket off step bracket but i chose the wrong gauge too much movement, also sika a timber block to hull gonna see how it sticks in the morning. The biggest problem is the enormous length of the transducer. I checked inside the hull and only area possible is in rear corners and this is double skinned areas so not sure how successful it would be, not interested in cutting out inner layer. At least when i get it solved should save others a lot of work.

Hey terryc
    For mounting the transducer, u can get a stainless steel bracket that fits behind that step bracket.
    U can buy them from MORETON STAINLESS STEEL at brendale. I got one on my HO . I think around $80 but well worth it.
    Cheers
    Greg

Hi Greg, at the moment i am going to try with it attached to the small timber block as this brings the transducer closer to the hull. My steel bracket puts this transducer (200mm) poking out a long way from the transom. Is your stainless bracket offset to the left to clear the bung and allow bracket closer to the hull, if you could show a photo would be great thanks terry

Ok so all finished took out for 2hr test run rough seas and unit performed excellent easy to see and read, easy to use, down vision is great. held bottom display until speed of 28 knots but showed depth up to 38 knots. No rooster tail from transducer which was great.What i like about the unit is that the size is perfect for a jet ski with most of the unit being display screen 5.7 diag, the only thing it blocks out of my vision is the 2 buttons on rhs of the dash, all gauges & mirrors fully visible.

Cool Re: Installing Dragonfly on Yamaha Jetski

With the install, i found the small timber block sikaflexed to the transom has been successful keeps the transducer closer to the transom than on a bracket off the step mounting. At this stage i have followed Greg's advice and run the transducer wire up over transom and under rear seat, then fed thru to the front and up through the main wiring loom (have to remove and replace zip tie) into dash area from there it comes out at the side of the grey dash panel just near the cup holder. Easy to remove the top shoulder body panel only bolts holding, dash remove 6 screws and easy access. In front storage remove white cover held in with plastic clips which you just slightly press in the centre of each stub and clip pulls out, same process for removing the grey panel at the top.
    For mounting the Unit itself i purchased a set of large hole saws from bunnings for $10.99 and cut out a thick ply timber disk which i placed in the cup holder and held in by a self tapper through the side of the cup holder in to the timber plus sika flexed disk as well. Then simply self tappers to hold base of unto onto the timber disk and then mount display unit.
    Only thing i will probably do is consider drilling a hole thru the transom for the transducer wire rather than up over.
    I am really happy with my purchase of the Raymarine Dragonfly and recommend it. Only limiting factor is if you want to mount the transducer inside the hull will be difficult with this size transdicer, plus you may not get the benefit of the brilliant down imaging. Hope all this helps someone else.
    regards terry

take a spin out to 60/70m and check out the performance of the chirp

Hey terryc
    Glad it all worked for you. Since i have run the transducer wire over the back and siliconed beside rubber mat, it hasnt moved.
    I drilled hole in transom of other ski because the step hinge is different.
    I found that once u took the step bracket off then u have that angled block of rubber.
    I drilled hole through rubber block and then through ski.
    The only prob was , that the hole had to be at least an inch or so in diam to fit the fittng through.
    I couldnt do the same on the new ski because the step hinge set up is different. Mate i would leave it over the back.
    Where o u fish? Iam going out tomorrow, prob scab reef irst then maybe mud.

Yes at the moment i have still left it going under the rear bin of back seat, and silicon works well as you advise. I usually fish from Gold coast thru broad water and with boat usually 24 fathoms out thru seaway, very happy with the dragonfly, thanks, terry

Quick Update: I have just had my Raymarine Dragonfly replaced under warranty 2 yrs old used on my jetski & boat, only spray & rain at worse, always dried & kept inside home between uses (still looked brand new on the outside).
    Last trip the navionics card was not reading, took ages to get it out and contacts were green corroded. The card had been left in since day one, i think the card door doesn't seal properly.
    This also built to IPX 6 & 7 standard. Must admit i am impressed by Raymarine's support. I will definitely seal up the card door from now on.