Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tourism Minister announces Rec Fishing Consultation

Tourism Minister announces Rec Fishing Consultation

Tourism Minister, Jann Stuckey has announced a new consultation process with recreational fishers about the value and importance of rec fishing to tourism in Queensland. The government is committed to enhancing and growing recreational fishing tourism in Queensland. The Assistant Minister for Tourism, Gavin King is helping a working group of government backbenchers to oversee the consultation over March-April 2013. Below is my summary for AUSFISH. I hope AUSFISH members will not only interact here on AUSFISH but will also respond as proposed at the end.

OBJECTIVE

To investigate the market gaps and potential for growth in the recreational fishing tourism sector and provide recommendations to achieve that growth

1) Recreational fishing events

a. What are the rec fishing events & competitions in respective areas?

b. What is the potential for these events to grow into the future?

c. How do we grow these events into the future?

2) “Hero” recreational fishing spots

a. What are the key (hero) recreational fishing spots in respective areas?

b. How are these destinations marketed to the fishing community?

c. What is required in terms of access and infrastructure to enhance and grow these recreational fishing spots?
    3) Charter boat sector

a. Which charter fishing businesses currently operate in respective areas?

b. What is the potential for them to grow?

c. What are the impediments to growth and how can they be addressed?

4) Other Issues

All issues will be noted for their potential for tourism growth. Where there is overlap with Fisheries Queensland, information will also be provided to the Fisheries Minister.

COMMUNITY CONSULTATION PERIOD

The Working Group will conduct community and industry consultation until April 22, 2013.
    INTENDED OUTCOMES OF WORKING GROUP REVIEW OF RECREATIONAL FISHING TOURISM

Feedback from Working Group members will be compiled during May and presented for final approval to the Tourism Minister and Working Group in late May. The final report and recommendations will then be forwarded to the Premier, Tourism Minister, Fisheries Minister and other relevant Ministers for their consideration and decisions.
    YOUR RESPONSE
    Interested persons can contact their state MP and/or the Assistant Tourism Minister Gavin King gavin.king@ministerial.qld.gov.au to share their views and ideas about recreational fishing and how it can grow tourism in Queensland. Or if I can assist with enquiries (mainly about Moreton Bay), contact me at cleveland@parliament.qld.gov.au

Regards,
    Mark

Re: Tourism Minister announces Rec Fishing Consultation

To little, way to late.

Lost me as soon as you withdrew the funding for kids fishing days and fish stocking.
    About the same amount you paid Caltabiano to tend his roses for 10 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    To little, way to late.

Lost me as soon as you withdrew the funding for kids fishing days and fish stocking.
    About the same amount you paid Caltabiano to tend his roses for 10 months.
    Dear Feral,
    It is an opportunity to change things. Why not put forward what you want to see happen in a constructive way. It's easy to attack pollies, but harder to put up something useful. Up to you. Mark

Mark what are "hero" fishing spots.

What an absolute con. They want to know all the spot x's, where the best fishing is, how many are out fishing etc etc. They want us to do there dirty work, gather information so they can line their own pockets with gold. What will the rec fisho's get out of it . Nothing.
    Look at the Wello boat ramp. Myself and a lot of other fishers have canned the area because of it. Competitions? reckon with the meet & greets & bs, there's plenty happening and well organised.
    If they collect enough info, its a good excuse to slap more green zones in.
    I for one do not trust MP's, Pollies. Councillors etc, as they can never give you the actual facts.
    Have a good think about it. I didn't, just jumped in with a rant.

Lightbulb Re: Tourism Minister announces Rec Fishing Consultation

Hi Mark , as it's Easter , have you ever heard the "Tortoise and the Hare" story.....

I've since found out it was a BullShit scenario , and still hasn't been able to be supported by scientific analysis to this day...

p.s. *please* hit the "go faster" pedal *please* ,
    I'll pay any doublepoints , double fine costs you may incur for "speeding".....but not an RFL
    Happy Easter

I'm assuming "hero" spots , are suggestions for where the LNP wish to place further ARTIFICIAL REEFS , obviously being named after Qld heroes , like lockie,wally,gordie,the axe,etc.

The LNP might be finally doing the right thing, but I doubt it. I've heard it all before from all sides of politics.

Interesting the announcement comes on April Fools Day. He, he , Nice one Mark. He,he.

Thanks Mark,
    Understandably Rec fishers are going to be very wary of any fact finding mission by any Govt or department but it is at least good to see the recognition of the strong links between recreational fishing and tourism. The whole state and country can highly benefit from this if only the powers that be are in tune to the huge potential of sustainable rec fishing and things are done the best way.

I would go as far as to say that the State and Country would be stuffed without what is there already. The industry of course is already there but struggles to thrive due to among other things previous low priority management of the fishery, waterways, sustainability and generally very low standard boating facilities and incentives. Taking too much for granted, taking too much from us and out of the industry and not putting enough back in.
    I wouldn't be worrying about fishing spots, people will find them Ok but events, fishing clubs, kids fishing comps need to be supported. I know of our own once thriving fishing and boating club at Bribie Island I was a member years ago had to fold due to ridiculous high insurance premiums and liability issues running comps including kids comp at Easter. So clubs and individuals involved need to be immune and shielded from the silly legal system that threatens you to do anything so bold as to run a fishing comp.

So my thoughts are:
    To have any chance of a sustainable and future rec fishing industry you have to look after the fish first.

Manage the Fishery, moderate and minimise commercial pressures including the irresponsible rec pressure on wild marine life particularly in vulnerable nursery areas in our bays creeks and rivers. Stop exports of our wild fish/marine life full stop, only benefits a few, probably unsustainable and just doesn't seem the right thing to do..
    Improve the waterways health by reducing pollution from human activity from farming to land development and building to general human behaviour such as littering but there are too many issues to mention. Extending closures to all damaging commercial activities in these sensitive areas including commercial netting of fish/prawns on our local beaches that should be rec fishing only zones. Kids should be able to go down to the local beach and catch a fish without being told to p!$$ off by some pro netting the whole beach. Happened to me as a kid 50 years ago, still getting over it obviously.

Provide many more world class marine friendly sheltered boating facilities for all weather safe launching and retrieval and secure trailer parking to cater for peak periods. I will go as far as to say that in general our current boat ramps, trailer parking is pathetic particularly given the huge govt revenue raised from boating and related things. They certainly haven't improved proportionately in 40 years I have been boating. I actually can't think of one new ramp added in this area and improvements have been minimal at best. We are sick of being cash cows and fed scraps. There is far too much stress and aggravation at our boats ramps because of their inadequacy.
    I know more people would become involved more often and invite their family and friends with better facilities.

Provide incentives and protection for fishing and boating clubs to exist and run sensible events. Focus away from large numbers of fish being caught, encourage catch and release mentality.

Streamline Govt processes in getting planning and approvals done for rec fishing related facilities. Currently seems like years of departmental backwards and forwards these days just to extend a ramp one lane, it's so wasteful and unproductive. If you are having problems getting something useful and sensible approved by a department just get rid of the dept CanDo, quicker and easier and it's probably just chewing up tax $$$$$$$ anyway. Half a million $$ in approvals to put a bit of concrete down?????? our taxes and revenues are funding departments that do nothing except mostly get in the way and cost huge amounts of money.

Anyway it is glaringly obvious to me that Rec Fishing in all it's forms could be huge for this States and the general Australian economy and it would be great to see our State and local Governments get right behind it in a comprehensive way.

With the proposed opening up of Leslie Harrison dam to boating and fishing activities here is a golden opportunity to start something new and exciting for SEQ.
    I note that one of the kayak/canoe clubs has been quick to jump on the bandwagon but have heard little from other groups.
    We need interaction between the local fishing clubs, the establishment of a fishstocking group, involvement from sailing clubs and also get the Redlands Council off their bums.
    I emailed my local Councillor about the opening up of the dam and he promptly passed the buck to the Capalaba Councillor who immediately said nothing to do with us its a State Gov thing.
    One has only to look at the infrastructure and amenities provided at other SEQ water dams to realise the potential that leslie Harrison dam has to offer the people of SEQ and Redlands shire
    I admit I have been tardy in not approaching my local member re this subject but I got disheartened by the response from my Councillor.
    Maybe you Mark could either pick this up and run with it or pass it along to the member for Capalaba as this really needs some initial leadership to get interested people together so that the whole thing gets off the ground.
    I was very disappointed from the reaction form the Councillors as it is the local residents and businesses who stand to gain the most from this project.
    Cheers
    Ray Kennedy
    Last edited by rayken1938; 02-04-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: cant spell cant fish

Lightbulb Re: Tourism Minister announces Rec Fishing Consultation

wheres the "science" in stopping <10hp from any dam or river.....???

[FW should be free rego <10hp , where "allowed"]....jmo

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    Dear Feral,
    It is an opportunity to change things. Why not put forward what you want to see happen in a constructive way. It's easy to attack pollies, but harder to put up something useful. Up to you. Mark
    Nope, you had your shot, you screwed over the fisho's. I'm happy to keep attacking until the day I vote your lot out.

Thanks Mark.

Johncar has made a good response.

Our ( Recreational ) Fishery is no easy fix and no matter what a Govt or Organisation does, it will not please everyone.

In a round about way, if the Fishery is healthy then the tourism / recreational side will follow suit, so we need to fix the fishery.

What is wrong with the Fishery, is a good place to start !

As we know, the current " scientists " that have been doing " modelling " and such did not, by their own admissions, inculde very revelant data sets, hence the outcomes are simply wrong.

More attention must be paid to anacedotal evidence from experienced rec fishos and charter operators. These people are the Stewards or the Sea, being out there very often, playing in their back yard.

The Queensland Government are currently sitting in a position to actually make a difference, not only on the State front, but certainly Nationally.

You know I have been pushing for Recreational Fishing to be a major contributor to Tourism for this State.

There is no down side to this agenda, if the Fishery is fixed first.

I would like to contribute to Gavin Kings information gathering exercise and will do via the URL provided.

I believe there is currently a plethoria of information held within the Govt archives or lower draw in the filing cabinet to use as a abse for improving the fishery and the experience.

Improving the Fishery comes in many ways, but the most successful and cost effective way is artifical reefs ( saltwater ) and in fresh water, stocking programs. These are really cheap to do in terms of " bang for buck ".

I am not a great believer in Fishing Competitions as such, but that is another issue. The Carp Busters and Tialpia events are needed.

A good hard look at the Commercial Practices and Harvesting Zones as well as Aquaculture and Ocean Farming are all a part of the Big Picture for Recreational Fishing. Dare I even mention " imported seafoods "........???

Mark, Bush'n'Beach Aprils edition calls for this Government to " Ante Up ". It is past time that tangible efforts and events are brought to the table and changes made. The Minister needs to know that the Natives are getting restless and require some good news.

I also feel that MQ should be putting their hands up on this and leading the way forward as they are the ones that rely on the Fishery through their Divisions.

Recreational Fishing in Queensland has an " Attributal Ecomonic Input " of around the 1 Billion dollars, and we have always been treated like second cousins to Commercial Fishing, Charter Fishing and indeed Tourism.

Time to put some runs on the board, Mark, The Minister and Noddy.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    With the proposed opening up of Leslie Harrison dam to boating and fishing activities here is a golden opportunity to start something new and exciting for SEQ.
    I note that one of the kayak/canoe clubs has been quick to jump on the bandwagon but have heard little from other groups.
    We need interaction between the local fishing clubs, the establishment of a fishstocking group, involvement from sailing clubs and also get the Redlands Council off their bums.
    I emailed my local Councillor about the opening up of the dam and he promptly passed the buck to the Capalaba Councillor who immediately said nothing to do with us its a State Gov thing.
    One has only to look at the infrastructure and amenities provided at other SEQ water dams to realise the potential that leslie Harrison dam has to offer the people of SEQ and Redlands shire
    I admit I have been tardy in not approaching my local member re this subject but I got disheartened by the response from my Councillor.
    Maybe you Mark could either pick this up and run with it or pass it along to the member for Capalaba as this really needs some initial leadership to get interested people together so that the whole thing gets off the ground.
    I was very disappointed from the reaction form the Councillors as it is the local residents and businesses who stand to gain the most from this project.
    Cheers
    Ray Kennedy
    Hi Ray. I was at the dam recently with local MPs, the mayor and minister McArdle looking at possibilities. While there is no govt funding available, a proposal for a PPP (private investment) could work. We are open to it - Steve Davies MP Capalaba is the best one to speak to.
    Let me know how your enquiries go.
    Regards,
    mark

Phill
    I am sure Gavin King & the relevant minister(s) would be interested to receive this feed back directly from you as part of the consultation process. And if there are others you feel would like to express their views please feel free to pass it on
    Regards
    Mark

Sorry Mark but this appears to be another government/bureaucratic method of avoiding the real issues in Recreational fishing.

The reality is that addressing those issues listed WILL NOT help recreational fishing but is a feeble attempt to make it look like your government is doing something.
    1) Recreational fishing events
    2) “Hero” recreational fishing spots
    3) Charter boat sector
    None of those issues actually do anything for the parlous state of inshore recreational fishing in Qld.

The inshore fishery makes up the majority of the recreational fishery in Qld for both locals and tourists, regardless of the fact that the more glamourous game fishing, reef fishing and fishing comps get the attention.

We have seriously diminished inshore fish stocks. Anyone who believes that it is even one tenth as easy to catch a feed as it was in the 70's is kidding themselves. All coinciding with the efficient use of monofilament nets. The fisheries department only bothers with records after the 80's, long after the serious decline happened, to support their falsified claims of "Sustainability".

Unless your govt is going to address the serious inequity of commercial nets vs recreational line fishing in Qld you may as well go and whistle Dixie.

I supported a change to the LNP to manage fisheries at the last election. The responses to serious rec fishing issues since then has proven the LNP to be no better than Labor. Simply spin doctors who have no real intention of making serious change.