Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A few prawns Good Friday

Re: A few prawns Good Friday

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    royslaven and i stopped for a look at dwb yesterday on our way back from crab'n'gear at clontarf. had a chat to old mate on the pontoon who had bagged a couple of kilos of medium size bananas for his hours work. in that time he saw 3 blokes total their nets on the snag at the western end of the pontoon.
    I will put my hand up , one of those blokes would probably have been me . It was the old " One more cast will do me ".
    Oh well .
    Shawn

from what I've observed in the last two weeks there is three snags under the pontoon.

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    from what I've observed in the last two weeks there is three snags under the pontoon.
    i have been casting that pontoon for around about 15 years. I have lost easy 5 or 6 nets down there and know of a hell of a lot more. There aint many things i havent pulled out of there with the net... there are snags right the way around it
    I would normally take down 2 nets. a decent 12ft prawn net and a 10ft general cheapie cast net. Since i had the tinny ive found the best catches of prawns to be just outside the rocks along the rock wall. This is where i use the cheaper net
    I hope there is still a few around come the weekend.
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    I will put my hand up , one of those blokes would probably have been me . It was the old " One more cast will do me ".
    Oh well .
    Shawn
    i hope u weren't the one who left their net hanging on the copper logs (minus rope and lead line)...
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    i hope u weren't the one who left their net hanging on the copper logs (minus rope and lead line)...
    No mate , I was the dopey bugger that tied my rope to my bowsprit and spent 10 minutes of forwards and backwards to make sure that I received the bugger . Then she went into the bin . There are enough grubby lazy bastards down there without me adding to the mess.
    Shawn

Got about 5ltrs today, with a bit of help from my mate burky who was working , but stopped by for a few throws. BTW this was at DWB in the pine. Ran into fellow ausfisher " short fuse" who I met yesterday. Was a bit quieter today, but got the occasional 12 to 14 in a throw to get the numbers up. Also have some net damage now, got a bit close to a couple of the snags, cheers, roy

thanks for the update roy. Im hitting up DWB tomoro arv into the night, looking forward to finally getting into them
    Dean

Hey Blokes, Has anyone thought of sounding out DWB? Side imaging capable sounders ie- Humminbird 798 can reveal whats under that pontoon area.

Roy. What time were you at the pine.

Roy. Good to catch up with you yesterday and again today. I ended up with just over 2kgs for my effort today. A bit more practice on the side lawn will get the new casting method working better - and keep the neighbours cat on their side of the fence.

Cheers

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    Roy. What time were you at the pine.
    Hey Timddo, 9am till 12.....last of the run out, soon as the tide runs in , no prawns, roy

Quote Originally Posted by Pero View Post
    Hey Blokes, Has anyone thought of sounding out DWB? Side imaging capable sounders ie- Humminbird 798 can reveal whats under that pontoon area.
    Stan
    Don,t know if anyone has done that, but reckon it would look like the back of your shed, with all the bits of destroyed nets there, saw a bloke yesterday rip the lead right off his net casting from the pontoon, maybe you should go over and set up a stand selling your nets....you know expand the business, plenty of demand over that side , cheers , roy

roy theres a bloke called kevin used to set up down there where the bbq shelter is. He would sell nets all day and make thousands.
    Not sure if he still does it or not

sounds stupid but Just recently moved to brizzy and what and where is DWB ?
    cheers scott

scott, DWB - deep water bend aka tinchi tamba wetlands - Wyampa road Pine river. I will be there within 2 hours looking for prawns and crabs.
    Dean