Thread: Pan Fried Macks

Pan Fried Macks

does anyone have a good recipe for pan fried mackerel fillets skin on?
    cheers
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Re: Pan Fried Macks

Mix 50/50 plain flour and Cajun spice mix and fry in clarified butter for a nice Cajun Blackened Fish. I much prefer to skin my Mackerel and slice thinly before lightly coating in beer batter and deep frying. It keeps it nice and moist
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

thanks Horse i love the cajun stuff but the missus wont go for it. Normally i would skin them too but would love to try crisping it up this time. Found a fewr recipes for flour and herb mix to roll the fillets in with and a garlic cream sauce which sounds pretty good and keeps the cook happy

Try cooking with a little lemon pepper as well as some soy sauce.
    Serve over some plain rice.
    Pauly
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Hey are you after a crispy type of skin? They aren't really the best fish for that. I usually skin mine, helps to get rid of the bloodline too, which my dogs love, regardless I often throw them in the oven in a foil parcel with a knob of butter, good squeeze of lemon, some finely chopped garlic and some finely chopped herbs like coriander or dill. Very quick and very tasty, serve on rice and pour all the nice juices from the foil all over it.

For pan frying though I like a light dusting in seasoned flour, cook in butter with some chilli and garlic oil then serve with fresh lemon juice.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    does anyone have a good recipe for pan fried mackerel fillets skin on?
    cheers

thanks for all the ideas guys
    nicko im going to do similar to your second suggestion but making my own garlic sauce rather than cook them in it.

I like mackeral diced into 1" cubes and rolled in rice flour with a pinch of onion salt then quickly deep fried in peanut oil.
    Also had satay mackeral skewers a few times it is quite good must be deep fried though not fried in the pan.
    Jack.

well i ended up cuting the fillets down to about 10cm long each, coated in cornflour and garlic powder.
    Made a sauce from this page http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe...ce-L11854.html

cooked the fillets in very hot pan in sesame oil about 2 minutes each side made the skin crisp up very nicely and char a little, poured sauce over and wow it was amazing