Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel mesh crab pots

Steel mesh crab pots

Is this type of crab pot legal in QLD, and if so any idea who sells them.

Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Re: Steel mesh crab pots

Dont know who would sell anthing like that, looks to be home made jobby perhaps
    mate this might help determine if it is legal or not. A letter i received from fisheries re crab pot regs:

Hi Dean,

As discussed here is the link to a pdf document detailing the requirements for crab pots (Tidal) within QLD. http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents...d-DL-flyer.pdf . The requirements as set out within this document are our rules for construction of the pot for use within tidal waters only, there is no maximum or minimum mesh size within Tidal waters, nor a maximum amount of openings.

There are additional rules in construction of pots when intending to fish for spanner crabs, the frame of a dilly must be made of solid steel of a thickness of at least 6 mm and no more than 1 m in each of its dimensions. If a collapsible trap is used it must be made of rigid material and have one or more collapsible sides

Please note: In tidal waters, when fishing for blue swimmer crabs, mud crabs and spanner crabs, no more than four crab pots or dillies (or a combination of pots and dillies) may be used per person. Also a person must not possess more than four crab apparatus per person, on a boat on the water. Female or undersized crabs must be removed from the trap and returned to the water immediately.

Kind regards,
    Customer Support
    Biosecurity Queensland
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
    80 Ann Street, Brisbane Qld 4000
    PO Box 46, Brisbane Qld 4001

t: 13 25 23
    t: +61 7 3404 6999 (interstate)
    f: +61 7 3404 6900
    e: callweb@daff.qld.gov.au
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

very handy post kingcray. i have been looking for similar to confirm that my enormous pot (5ft diameter) is actually legal. you have helped no end. thanks.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

They are used in NT, and have seen a few used in Qld and after reading the link above about I can't see why they would not be legal. However they may not work as well as the round pots etc.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    very handy post kingcray. i have been looking for similar to confirm that my enormous pot (5ft diameter) is actually legal. you have helped no end. thanks.
    mate yeah i started a similar thread to this a couple wks ago and found it hard to get a straight answer.
    it was good to have some concrete info from fq themselves. Lots of grey areas in qld crabbing and at least that reply clears up a few of them.
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Bruce a guy at ningi near Bribie make pots like that he always has them out of the front of his house for sale and as far as I know they are collapsible also

I have one and don't use it, it doesn't work as good as the round ones with 4 entrances IMO and in NSW every pot counts as we can only have one

remind me next time I am coming through and you can have it

cheers Murf

Thanks Tim.

Murf, i'll swap you empty rum containers for it.

I think burleygu is correct that the original design originated in Bribie. I did make a number of them myself with a mate about twenty years ago, pretty easy to do but as others have indicated not the best crab cathers around - the round ones are definately better and the bigger the better, in fact next time i am in brisbane i will have a look in the shed and probably find 3 or 4 there you can have, will PM you if I locate them s I do need to clean out that particular shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I think burleygu is correct that the original design originated in Bribie. I did make a number of them myself with a mate about twenty years ago, pretty easy to do but as others have indicated not the best crab cathers around - the round ones are definately better and the bigger the better, in fact next time i am in brisbane i will have a look in the shed and probably find 3 or 4 there you can have, will PM you if I locate them s I do need to clean out that particular shed.
    That would be great, thanks.

mate, didn't get to the my place/shed in brisbane on my flying visit as was running very late for a couple of appointments, my missus will be down frid/sat so i will get her to check the shed out and PM you when I get a result.

Thanks ,that will be fine

Checked with Fisheries just last week, as I make my own out of trawl net, and was advised the only restriction on pots is the size of the entry, 600cm in circumference and they advise tying a length of twine from top to bottom over the entry to prevent turtle entry but not compulsory