Thread: Fishing red rock near coffs

Fishing red rock near coffs

Hi guys I'm heading to red rock at Easter and was wondering if anybody knew any good spots in the river? I imagine there will be flathead and mullet. Maybe jacks? Thanks.

Re: Fishing red rock near coffs

Quote Originally Posted by Scatrdberko View Post
    Hi guys I'm heading to red rock at Easter and was wondering if anybody knew any good spots in the river? I imagine there will be flathead and mullet. Maybe jacks? Thanks.
    Hope you get to read this while you're there.

The Corindi River is excellent for fishing. Bream, whiting, jewfish, flathead, tailor, luderick, jacks it has it all. The north side of the river is completely off limits though so don't even think about it. Thankfully you can throw your line across the river in some places so it kind of defeats the purpose.

The obvious spot, the park in Red Rock is pointless to fish. You will almost always catch a little bream (15cm and under) but I have only caught on decent fish from the park in years of fishing the place and it was a 45cm flathead on a 5 inch atomic prong soft plastic lol. I wasn't really trying to catch anything as much as just screwing around with a new bag of plastics and seeing the swim style of it but the hungry fella took it right in front of the drain. I have seen luderick landed here but not often.

Land based your best bet is to drive through the caravan park to the mouth and fish off the rocks into the channel at the bottom of the run in tide. I've caught tailor and drummer there and have seen some big jewfish landed. At the top of the run out you can walk back towards the town centre along the back and fish the shallows that get eddied up with soft plastics (any other time it's basically pointless to try plastics off the bank here). I've bagged out on good flathead countless times doing this and whenever I do it the tourists and locals alike seem surprised to see people actually catching decent fish there.

Up stream is basically paradise. You will catch anything you want and it all looks likely and is. There is a misnomer though as there is a bend in the river called jewfish point just upstream of the town and there aren't any jewfish there (well not many if any) but it is the best spot in the river to catch bream and whiting.

About midway up you will find lots of jacks ready and willing to brick you. Have a good time because it's one of the few rivers in the area that will have already recovered from the floods and be pristine again, or close to.

Thumbs up Re: Fishing red rock near coffs

Well it was worth the search of threads to find this, thank you Mac. Have you been there lately?

I gather the tinny is the go, it doesn't look like the bar would accomodate a bigger boat for inshore?

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............