Thread: Colorado/DMAX owners Fuel usage

Colorado/DMAX owners Fuel usage

Hey guys, bit of a question involving fuel usage/fuel tank size.

I have a 08,MY09 Colorado, 3L TD dual cab 4x4 LX and my fuel light came on yesterday, for the first time in a while I filled up, as im doing a mackay-goldcoast and back trip easter long weekend.

Ive read the fuel tank size is 76L, and after the fuel light came on, and it sitting on E for the past number of Kms, i could only squeeze 58L in, which tells me there was roughly 18L left in the tank still. Just seemed like a lot for the fuel light to come on, I would have assumed around 10L left before fuel light would come on.

Have other owners had same circumstances with their utes? Most cars ive come across, where the fuel light actually works, its around 100kms to go when the light comes on, but if you go off combined fuel usuage, its over 160+kms to go when the colorados light comes on.

Cheers for any info,.
    Tobey

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

Re: Colorado/DMAX owners Fuel usage

i used to have a petrol rodeo 4wd that did the same thing with the fuel light coming on real early and i could go for ages on a supposedly empty tank, but when filling i would struggle to get 60-65 litres in a 78l tank.

if you do a search you will come across it mentioned a fair few times with problems in the guage or sender units. one solution that worked for me was to clean up the computer earths (with the battery disconnected) and it was fine after that.

once you know its easy to work with as you can really chew the juice when 4wding in a petrol rodeo - i hope the diesels better.

cheers ryan

My 09 Collie fuel light comes on about the same. Flat out dropping 60 ltrs in.

I know how far I travel and my fuel consumption ( 10 - 10.2ltr/100 ) and my fuel tank capacity.

When your light comes on , you know you have an hours driving or more to fuel up.

I am unsure if it is a problem... maybe Holden are just being a tad defensive and trying not to let their customers run out of fuel ???

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

2008 BT 50 light comes on with 15-17 litres left. I had a standard 80 series landcruiser prior to this car and at times wish the tank was larger for towing.

mate i have a 2011 auto duel cab and it is exactly the same as u say and its done it on more than one occasion i think there must be atleast 100 ks left in her.

Thanks for response guys. Just thought it was weird to come on so early. Glad to know it's "normal".

I used to own an 80 as well and you needed the twin fuel tanks for its huge fuel usage! Lol. I had the 4.5 petrol and i swear it used anywhere form 20-25L/100 daily driving. Didn't have that long after work got rid of my work car...

Not really sure what fuel usage I get out of the collie. Should get an idea from the 2000 odd ks I'm up for next weekend. I'm hoping for around the 10/100

72L tank 2L are not usable light comes on at 108 ohms or 15L left in the tank, We still have people coming into the dealership asking the same question you just did, it must be a brazillian thing but that is how they like to do thing over there.

Well a couple of thousand ks later. I'm pretty happy. One of the fills was 600ks and used 55L, at around 9.2ish/100 which is better than what I was expecting That was probably 500ks highway 100 urban. But I was getting similar fill ratios the whole way. Cheers guys

Also something interesting I noticed. The diesel in major cities made it puke out black smoke every time I booted it. But the diesel in mackay is nice and clean. Mate reckoned because so many people on diesels in mackay that the fuel wouldn't sit around as long. Anyway, just a thought

I had a 2010 collie LTR diesel. Auto, around town I would often get 8 L/100ks, on the open road it would drop to 7 L/100ks and if I stayed on cruise around the 90 k mark it would drop to 6.5/100. I traded it in last year for a new lux, at first it would only give me around 9L/100 now with over 20 k on the clock I get 7.5L/100. My collie fuel light would come on same as you guys. Cheers.

Mine is manual. And I'm usually giving it a boot full. Keeping around 10/100 and im happy haha