Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'Brisbane City Council V Pimp A Shrimp' - parking on the street

Re: 'Brisbane City Council V Pimp A Shrimp' - parking on the street

Sounds like a neighbour has boat envy. When you move your boat you could always get someone with a boat that meets council regs to park it in the same place for a while. Then park your boat back there. Would guess that council would have to start the process all over again.

Seems strange that they would threaten you with a fine without first sending an infringement notice. Plus doing it on the phone and giving you an hour. Next time they call just say to them to hold on for a second as you wish to start recording the phone conversation. Something just doesn't seem to fit here. Maybe a friend of a freind in your street at the council or something.

Agree with your comments Steve re neighbour suffering from boat envy. The good news is i have found a private property that will hold the boat semi-permantly until I work out a solution.

Here's the copy from my letter sent to Council. There's nothing overly sensitive in here, so no remifications in broadcasting the content. As you can see below, it's written in a civil manner, and makes note of what i think would be a bigger issue to Council, being Cars parked on the footpath.

Following up from your inspection of my boat parked at the above location, I just wanted to give you an update on what my situation is. I’m in the process of trying to find a suitable location to keep the boat, however this has been quite difficult. The cost to put the boat into storage in one of the better (more secure) locations is proving to be very expensive. So I’m broadening my search a bit further field in the hope of finding something suitable.

I am surprised that a boat that is registered, has full comprehensive insurance, is not considered a wide load, and can be legally towed on its own trailer anywhere in Australia without restriction, breaches a parking law. I have found the link on BCC’s website that explains the regulation, so my intention is not to argue this law. It is just very odd given the number of cars and box trailers that are parked on Council’s footpath, and have been doing so for many years, in my street, aren’t considered to be more of a concern and in breach.

I guess this is what happens when a disgruntled neighbour makes a complaint.

Anyway, just my thoughts!

PS. I think I gave you an incorrect mobile number. The correct number is listed below (this number is new to me).

You could always try this

IMG_2642.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jmwarner View Post
    You could always try this

IMG_2642.jpg
    Not such a bad idea if i was sure no ramifications would come my way!

when the council do roadworks / maintenance they leave their caravans/rollers etc parked all over anyone's and everyone's footpaths!
    whats good for the goose is not always good for the gander. good luck in findind a solution , hope it all works out for you.

I would be complaining daily about the people Parked on the grass. Make them all move including he douche that complained initially.

If you don't then the next time you bring the boat home to clean it you will get another call from the council.

This has just happened to me at the gold coast, after a complaint was loged with council a $100.00 fine was issued staight up no warning with the ticket stating Park a heavy vehicle or long vehicle for longer than an hour, i own a 6m cat 2t but was 7.8m combined trailer and boat length but trailer alone is 7.4m, have found councils definition of a "heavy vehicle" in local law 44 gold coast city council- a vehicle or combination of vehicles ( including an adjunct vechile) with a GVM or more than 4.5T or has a total length in excess of 7.5m. Does a boat and trailer constitute a vehicle or is the trailer alone the veichle? i am in the process of finding alternate storage but as i have only recently move to queensland not an easy task to sort out in a day, talked to council about a grace period and was told bad luck you will continue to be finned till moved. Draw bar mods will be on the cards. I wish people had balls to come and talk about the issue so i could of had some time to organise alternate storage.

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

You could try Newport Waterways Marina on Griffith Rd Redcliffe.They have plenty of hardstand area within a secure compound.Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

boat trailer parking infringment.pdfHook em

I feel your pain brother. Gold Coast and Brisbane Councils have very similar regulations. See my infringment notice attached! $500 freaking dollars. Which came with one verbal warning, and a no-reply from a letter (see previous post) that i sent to Council. I'll be fighting this!

What basis you going to fight it on?
    Wasn't parked their long enough?
    Trailer not to long?
    Not within 100m of a residential house?

Not being nasty or stirring, but you can't fight it just because you dont think its fair, you'll need a solid reason as to why you dont believe you committed the offence when you go to court that has a good chance of winning.

Otherwise your just going to get more P'd off when you lose and still have to pay the fine plus cop the court costs.

Would things change if you bought a cheap car, registered it, and always had it connected to the boat?

Unlike common law council use guilty till proven innocent,what happen to intent to commit a crime and they wonder why there is so manyneighbourhood disputes end up in court!
    Once council work out that you can go down to any ramp overthe week end and book a heap of people with trailers over 7.5m in one go, i amsure we all will be having these problems especially when tournaments are on.
    I did some research today and found that dumbier trailers doa weld on swing point for your draw bar about $250 plus $150 for welding and Ican legally park back on the st, so the council and complaining neighbour can go andget F-----.

Moreton Bay Boat Club at Scarbie have a hardstand & good ramps with washdown facilities. You will have to become a full member though. They also have secure car & trailer parking for day or o/nighters for towed vessels + good meals & palate cleansing ales!

Some people will decouple their trailer when parking in residential streets but councils are a wake up to this and many specify a trailer must be less than five meters as it's part of a combination so I'd check carefully before you go chopping.

Quote Originally Posted by hook em View Post
    Unlike common law council use guilty till proven innocent,what happen to intent to commit a crime and they wonder why there is so manyneighbourhood disputes end up in court!
    Once council work out that you can go down to any ramp overthe week end and book a heap of people with trailers over 7.5m in one go, i amsure we all will be having these problems especially when tournaments are on.
    I did some research today and found that dumbier trailers doa weld on swing point for your draw bar about $250 plus $150 for welding and Ican legally park back on the st, so the council and complaining neighbour can go andget F-----.

It usually means that some one in the council will be delegated to make sure that all efforts are made to ensure the fine is paid and all the rules and regs checked to see if there are other fines that can be applied, it seems that either/both common/sense no longer exists